Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 04:04 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post

I pretty much agree with this depiction of the desert SW, though I would add a bit more of Nevada and less of Utah
Colorado SW does not remind me of a desert , its more like high country mountains , very steep, very cold , does have hot summers however. Durango must be the cut off area...... I agree , about NV. , does seem more SW to the north, and , not much of Utah., ...just my thoughts, however, ... I don't live in the area , just visited many times. NM. as a state , is my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 04:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
It's been 48 hrs for a new one....... I was known as the Garden Belt of my country. "where am I?. (hint,,close by)

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
It's been 48 hrs for a new one....... I was known as the Garden Belt of my country. "where am I?. (hint,,close by)
Steve, I'm not sure what you mean by "close by," but I'll guess the garden belt that you have in mind is Southern Ontario, Canada. The wonderful Okanagan Valley in British Columbia is known as the fruit belt of Canada.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 AM

You are absolutely right on southern Ontario. Very good!!!. I was born and raised in Hamilton, Ont and the area from Windsor to Niagara Falls is the Garden Belt. All the berries,cherry trees,apple trees, peach trees, grapes and other fruit are grown in the area. I worked on a tobacco farm one summer as a 12 yr old, cutting suckers and cutting tobacco leaves and helping to hang in the drying kilns. Excellent, did not think anyone would guess as it is a regional thing (location) that only locals would remember. Steve

Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right on southern Ontario. Very good!!!. I was born and raised in Hamilton, Ont and the area from Windsor to Niagara Falls is the Garden Belt. All the berries,cherry trees,apple trees, peach trees, grapes and other fruit are grown in the area. I worked on a tobacco farm one summer as a 12 yr old, cutting suckers and cutting tobacco leaves and helping to hang in the drying kilns. Excellent, did not think anyone would guess as it is a regional thing (location) that only locals would remember. Steve
There are "garden belts" , in almost every country of the world , where , water surrounds part of the area. Mountains also effect climate , the combo of water and elevation can produce some very prolific growing regions.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
What part/city of the southwest is called Dixie?

* clue its not in the southern most parts of the SW

Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I had a hunch as I remembered that you said earlier that you were raised in Ontario. I had lived in New York State at one time, so I knew there were excellent farms in Ontario despite the relatively short growing season. By the way, have you been to British Columbia? It's perhaps my favorite place. Such a range of geographical areas!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM

John; yes, I have visited BC one summer vacation...rained every day there. As to the ( hint close by) was intended to make it more North America then say Europe. There are many garden belts thru out the world and did not wish the question to be vague in nature. Steve

Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
What part/city of the southwest is called Dixie?

* clue its not in the southern most parts of the SW
Could it be the large area covered by the Dixie National Forest in southern Utah? We have been to Cedar city, Cedar Breaks, Bryce and Zion. I believe Dixie Forest covers all of those areas.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,387,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Could it be the large area covered by the Dixie National Forest in southern Utah? We have been to Cedar city, Cedar Breaks, Bryce and Zion. I believe Dixie Forest covers all of those areas.
Correct, SW Utah, mainly Washnington County and St. George area was called Utah's Dixie by the Mormons due to the arable land and good climate in which cotton could be grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History