U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,041,129 times

Advertisements

Can you find three cities (over 10,000 population) , that all have the same name, one each in Canada, the USA and Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM

8,549 posts, read 13,218,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can you find three cities (over 10,000 population) , that all have the same name, one each in Canada, the USA and Mexico?
Victoria , BC Victoria , Texas Victoria , Tamualipas

Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Victoria , BC Victoria , Texas Victoria , Tamualipas
Very good. Technically, the name in Mexico is alphabetized in gazetteers under the letter "C" for its correct name, Ciudad Victoria ("Victoria City"), and road signs to it point to "Cd. Victoria", but this is the answer I was looking for. Semi-interestiongly, they are the three biggest cities in the world named Victoria.

The only other example that comes quicky to mind of three fairly large towns with the same name in three adjoining countries would be Concepcion, in Chile, Paraguay and Argentina. But there are probably more such examples in South America, where almost every town is named after one of a dozen or so saints or miracles. The Concepcions all have pops over 40,000, as do the North American Victorias.

There are probably towns with the same name in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but likely small ones. Nearly all towns in British or French Africa have names derived from the local dialect, so the Victorias and Concepcions are probably unique (DUnique?) among fair-sized cities.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-16-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Very good. Technically, the name in Mexico is alphabetized in gazetteers under the letter "C" for its correct name, Ciudad Victoria ("Victoria City"), and road signs to it point to "Cd. Victoria", but this is the answer I was looking for. Semi-interestiongly, they are the three biggest cities in the world named Victoria.

The only other example that comes quicky to mind of three fairly large towns with the same name in three adjoining countries would be Concepcion, in Chile, Paraguay and Argentina. But there are probably more such examples in South America, where almost every town is named after one of a dozen or so saints or miracles. The Concepcions all have pops over 40,000, as do the North American Victorias.

There are probably towns with the same name in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but likely small ones. Nearly all towns in British or French Africa have names derived from the local dialect, so the Victorias and Concepcions are probably unique (DUnique?) among fair-sized cities.
This was elementary , you gave it away with the word Mexico ......just think of the Latin.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
This was elementary , you gave it away with the word Mexico ......just think of the Latin.
Sorry, I missed your point. What was elementary, and what would I discover if I thought of the word Mesico and Latin?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your point. What was elementary, and what would I discover if I thought of the word Mesico and Latin?
Just a quick thought.....( without looking it up ) Lots of Latin words end in " a ". Lots of vowels .......and , everyones heard of Victoria, BC , so , I just went down the list in my mind........and wound up in Mexico. No big deal , or exact science ether, for that matter...

Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM

I just had to search untilI found another one: ALAMO
USA---A city in the Rio Grande valley, south Texas
Can---An unincorporated area just east of New Denver, British Columbia
Mex---lA fairly sizeable town west of Tuxpan, Veracruz

Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 PM

11,544 posts, read 24,611,698 times
Default How long is it?

Quote:
I believe the Grand River is the correct answer. It flows into Lake Michigan, through Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm quite sure that is the longest river in the US that enpties into the Great Lakes, but I can't find the lengths of rivers in Ontario that do. But a casua look at maps indicaes that al such Ontario rivers are quite short, with most of the drainage of Ontario flowing northward into Hudson Bay or interior lakes, or eastward into the St. Lawrence
The Illinois River which flows from near St. Louis and joins the Des Plains which then flows into Lake Michigan is 278 miles.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The Illinois River which flows from near St. Louis and joins the Des Plains which then flows into Lake Michigan is 278 miles.

That is quite a geographic marvel. The Mississippi at St. Louis is 410 feet above sea level, and Lake Michigan is 575.

Illinois River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look out your window in Havana and see which way the river is flowing. St. Louis is to your left.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM

The locks in downtown Chicago , keep the Illinois river and Lake Michigan separated. An interesting story......read all about it, you will find the answer to your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History