Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following ethnic or religious groups is the most similar to the Jews?
Armenians 10 37.04%
Roma/Gypsies 3 11.11%
Japanese 0 0%
Chinese 2 7.41%
Jains 0 0%
Zoroastrians 3 11.11%
others 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times

Advertisements

I find Jews and Muslims to be the most alike. They tend to keep to themselves, marry among themselves, and allow their kids to only associate with their kind. I am talking about the serious kind of religious Jews or Muslims. they look out for each other , and only each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Only one comes to mind, and that is the Islam religion, part of the Abrahamic group.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I find Jews and Muslims to be the most alike. They tend to keep to themselves, marry among themselves, and allow their kids to only associate with their kind. I am talking about the serious kind of religious Jews or Muslims. they look out for each other , and only each other.
Not to mention that in both Judaism and Islam, there's dietary laws (kosher and halal), there's male ritual circumcision, and rabbis and imams (at least Sunni imams) aren't the same kinds of clergymen as priests.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
When discussing Jews in relation to other cultures/ethnicities/religions one must take into account whether or not you're referring to a secular/reformed Jew, a more observant conservative or highly devout orthodox Jew.

As a reformed (liberal) Jew raised within a very large insular, urban community in the Midwest, I can tell you that none of the cultures listed are truly good comparisons. On a secular level, I would say we have some parallel traits to the Italian community, primarily in relation to family structure/values, emotional make-up and sense of humor. Despite our vastly different religious beliefs, these two communities have often intermarried, successfully, and enjoyed a common ground both in business and in personal life.

Now if you are looking at the highly traditional, orthodox sector of our culture then, most definitely, we have some common elements with the Muslim faith, including devout spiritual practices, similar dietary laws, separation of women and men in the house of worship and dominance of males within the social order. Additionally, many of the most devout orthodox communities are quite sheltered from society and would never condone intermarriage - much the same as many Muslim groups.

I am referring, primarily, to the Ashkenazi sector of Judaism. Though we have many, many overlaps with the Sephardic sect, there are also some fundamental differences including our foods, religious rituals, historical origins, physical appearance, and some core values.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
If this was the case, I wonder why states like MS are virtually 90% (plus) Christian? They must marry among themselves....and look out for each other.....

Fundies in every religion are big into segregating themselves and intermarrying. I had employees who were Jehovahs Witnesses and they were not allowed (fear of mom and dad) to marry outside the faith.

Jews are known to be very secular, so the communities you speak of are definitely the exception, not the rule. Most Jewish families I know of intermarried (and being from Philly, that's a lot of intermarriage).

Even in Israel, only 30% of the population considers religion to be an important part of their lives.....

I think most all fundies in the Abrahamic Religions are cloistered in one way or another from the general society.

Then again, so are the Amish and other similar groups. I doubt Amish would allow their children to marry a Hindu or even a Catholic.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:30 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Disclaimer before I post anything: I am Jewish; Ashkenazi (mostly Russian/Ukrainian) heritage, 3rd gen American-born, raised Reform but more cultural than religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
although I am not a Jew, nor really a pro Israel guy, nor a religious guy, I can see why they are called God's chosen people.
But do you actually know what that means? I ask because SO many people misunderstand that, and think it means we believe we're "special" or better than anyone else - when it really means we were chosen to SUFFER and prove our worthiness (to G-d), while the other religions get more slack. You may have already known that, but few Gentiles do! And I only wanted to elaborate because it's common fodder for the anti-Semites.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 PM

631 posts, read 561,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But do you actually know what that means? I ask because SO many people misunderstand that, and think it means we believe we're "special" or better than anyone else - when it really means we were chosen to SUFFER and prove our worthiness (to G-d), while the other religions get more slack. You may have already known that, but few Gentiles do! And I only wanted to elaborate because it's common fodder for the anti-Semites.
From a Christian perspective, Jews were "the chosen people" to bring salvation to all humankind through Jesus Christ (he comes right out of Jewish tradition). It is that simple. Now I know a lot of Jews and non-Jews think this is non-sense, but it is a widely held belief among Christians around the world. There are a lot of Messianic Jews who share this interpretation / understanding.

For non-Messianic Jews, there does seem to be an emphasis on collective suffering, rooted in a historical perspective as a people apart. For the Christian, this suffering comes with taking up one's individual cross and following the Master Christian, Jesus.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
From a Christian perspective, Jews were "the chosen people" to bring salvation to all humankind through Jesus Christ (he comes right out of Jewish tradition). It is that simple. Now I know a lot of Jews and non-Jews think this is non-sense, but it is a widely held belief among Christians around the world. There are a lot of Messianic Jews who share this interpretation / understanding.

For non-Messianic Jews, there does seem to be an emphasis on collective suffering, rooted in a historical perspective as a people apart. For the Christian, this suffering comes with taking up one's individual cross and following the Master Christian, Jesus.
Yes, I do know of the Christian perspective on this - and I suppose you could say it ties in with our beliefs, since our suffering was what brought salvation to the Gentiles. I'm honestly not enough of a scholar to analyze it further, but just wanted to make sure they (the person I quoted) weren't basing that on the false definition.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
When discussing Jews in relation to other cultures/ethnicities/religions one must take into account whether or not you're referring to a secular/reformed Jew, a more observant conservative or highly devout orthodox Jew.

As a reformed (liberal) Jew raised within a very large insular, urban community in the Midwest, I can tell you that none of the cultures listed are truly good comparisons. On a secular level, I would say we have some parallel traits to the Italian community, primarily in relation to family structure/values, emotional make-up and sense of humor. Despite our vastly different religious beliefs, these two communities have often intermarried, successfully, and enjoyed a common ground both in business and in personal life.

Now if you are looking at the highly traditional, orthodox sector of our culture then, most definitely, we have some common elements with the Muslim faith, including devout spiritual practices, similar dietary laws, separation of women and men in the house of worship and dominance of males within the social order. Additionally, many of the most devout orthodox communities are quite sheltered from society and would never condone intermarriage - much the same as many Muslim groups.

I am referring, primarily, to the Ashkenazi sector of Judaism. Though we have many, many overlaps with the Sephardic sect, there are also some fundamental differences including our foods, religious rituals, historical origins, physical appearance, and some core values.
As a fellow Reform/Secular-Ashkenazi-American Jew, I would concur with most of this... except that it's Reform, as opposed to ReformED. Not that it matters, but that would kinda change the word's definition.

I also think we share many values with the Asian (particularly Chinese and Indian) cultures, at least in terms of our emphasis on higher education and intellectual pursuits. Ever wonder why the medical and legal fields are dominated by Jewish and Asian folks? It's not because we're biologically better at those things, but more likely connected with how we're raised - and what our parents expect of us, generally speaking. We're also kinda obsessed with Chinese food, but I don't know if there's a good explanation for that. LOL

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM

689 posts, read 972,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As a fellow Reform/Secular-Ashkenazi-American Jew, I would concur with most of this... except that it's Reform, as opposed to ReformED. Not that it matters, but that would kinda change the word's definition.

I also think we share many values with the Asian (particularly Chinese and Indian) cultures, at least in terms of our emphasis on higher education and intellectual pursuits. Ever wonder why the medical and legal fields are dominated by Jewish and Asian folks? It's not because we're biologically better at those things, but more likely connected with how we're raised - and what our parents expect of us, generally speaking. We're also kinda obsessed with Chinese food, but I don't know if there's a good explanation for that. LOL
Thanks for the correction - didn't even notice what I typed!

Our parents were/are extremely ambitious for us, in part, because previous generations fled such horrific abuse (who didn't right?) - and they passed down 'survival of the fittest' instincts to us in a big way. Agreed that our culture places extremely high value on education, intellectualism, independent thought and, of course, social justice.

I kinda see where you're going with the Chinese and Indian shared ambitions but can't say I really see too many overlaps. Even in modern India and China, the millenials are so dependent upon their parents wishes and expectations, where we're much more likely to go our own way, marry who we want, ignore cultural barriers and break from traditions in order to assimilate. Speaking, primarily, of the reform sector of our culture. If we're talking orthodox, well that's something different, entirely.

Good to know we share the Chinese food 'gene' My peeps are fairly obsessed with finding the proper bagel, a respectable pizza and an authentic local deli. Disclaimer: I'm originally from Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History