U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:48 AM

834 posts, read 1,695,909 times

Advertisements

I understand the point about armchair quarterbacking. But evil does not justify evil, and a spade must be called a spade. Despite what heinous crimes of Nazi Germany the average Red Army soldier witnessed, it does not exempt his actions from legitimate criticism.

It's a mad world when the rape of a surrendered population including the rape of children and old women is defended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 AM

A bit of a diversion, but I've always gotten a crack from this scene from the Last Crusade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-HZz5Qv8E

Old 09-29-2018, 06:38 PM

18,590 posts, read 12,026,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
I understand the point about armchair quarterbacking. But evil does not justify evil, and a spade must be called a spade. Despite what heinous crimes of Nazi Germany the average Red Army soldier witnessed, it does not exempt his actions from legitimate criticism.

It's a mad world when the rape of a surrendered population including the rape of children and old women is defended.
Sorry to break up your pity party, but war has long been about getting one's own back.

If your army invaded my country looting and raping in the process; I'm going to do the same (when) or if given the chance. It was that way with Roman Empire days and before, nor did things change in the two thousand or so years of civilization since.

Sadly rape has been one of the by products of wars since military campaigns first began.

Being as all this may, we're talking about Soviet Russian military. Not much as changed about Russia since 1930's through WWII nor after.

They still binge drink on average excessively. Many Russians are still comparatively poor or at least less better off than those of similar income levels in western Europe.

It was the booze and feelings of inferiority (along with getting their own back) which largely fueled the mass rape and murders that Soviet military carried on as they marched west. Russian troops raped Soviet, Polish, Austrian, Yugoslavian, German and any other females they came across. So it wasn't as if the Germans were in some way singled out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_d...ermany#Studies

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ews.features11

However as one repeatedly states there were no saints in WWII; as such *all* females suffered in Europe.

Silence lifted: The untold stories of rape during the Holocaust - CNN.com

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...of-Berlin.html

IN PICTURES: How German women suffered largest mass rape in history by Soviets - Al Arabiya English

Old 10-06-2018, 04:18 PM

427 posts, read 93,093 times
My grandfather was a director of engineering at Henschel in Kassel, Germany where they built the Tiger and other panzers(tanks). Because of this factory the city was bombed resulting in 90% destruction. If it wasn't for a dud bomb that hit my mother's childhood home I wouldn't be here.

I am here because my mother survived and married my father, a German-born GI, who in 1939, when the High Command of the Kriegsmarine ordered all German merchant ships to return to German ports in anticipation of the invasion of Poland, 'jumped' from the SS Bremen, a German Merchant Marine ship in New York City. Just a few years later he joined the US Army and returned to his birth country, landing first at Normandy, to fight Fascism.

My father was a true American hero and returned from the war with my mother to live the American dream. I was born about a decade later.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:35 AM
BMI

6,582 posts, read 3,903,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Ah yes. Berlin in the 30’s. Privilged Christian elites enjoying the good life. Behind the facade the others are being fitted with the yellow badges and readied for the cattle cars and “relocation camps”.
Yellow badged yes, however for most of the 30s mainly persecution, the “relocation” to camps via cattle cars was after Kristallnacht (november 1938).

Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 1,737,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
A bit of a diversion, but I've always gotten a crack from this scene from the Last Crusade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf-HZz5Qv8E
Meanwhile, 80 years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4gTt7MKsGM

Written shorty after the battle of the same name to commemorate the Prussian victory

Old 10-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Meanwhile, 80 years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4gTt7MKsGM

Written shorty after the battle of the same name to commemorate the Prussian victory
The Königgrätzer Marsch is a lovely tune no doubt composed in 1866 by Johann Gottfried Piefke.

It seems certain other traditions have been retained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDnbUR-yXpg&t=7s

Old 11-02-2018, 03:41 PM

38 posts, read 7,689 times
About 35 years ago. I worked with a man who was from Poland. He had come to the US in the late 1940s, after spending time in a DP camp. I learned from co-workers, that this man had been in a concentration camp during World War II. His "crime" in the eyes of the Nazis, was that he had served in the Polish army, defending his homeland during the German invasion of Poland in Sept., 1939. In Nazi ideology, as an ethnic Pole, he was considered a subhuman Slav. He must have been subjected to many unspeakable horrors during his internment, as he was noticeably strange/awkward in his outward demeanor, speech, habits, etc. Just from my dealings with and sympathy for him, I have little compassion for the citizens of the Third Reich in the aftermath of its defeat by the Allies.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 PM

3,983 posts, read 2,980,472 times
At least he survived. The Germans rounded up and executed thousand of Polish officers and members of the intelligentsia during the war. The officers were secretly buried in the forests of Katyn. One of the most horrific aspects of this mass murder was that a single Russian officer outfitted in a butchers outfit did most of the shooting over a period of several days.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 1,737,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
At least he survived. The Germans rounded up and executed thousand of Polish officers and members of the intelligentsia during the war. The officers were secretly buried in the forests of Katyn. One of the most horrific aspects of this mass murder was that a single Russian officer outfitted in a butchers outfit did most of the shooting over a period of several days.
The Katyn massacre was done by the Soviets. They wanted to decapitate the Polish leadership to make way for a Communist regime after the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History