U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM

3,963 posts, read 1,593,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Once again, I think we are all aware of the issue of modern slavery. But this is an umbrella concept that includes child labor, prison labor, indentured servitude, sex slavery, forced marriages, child soldiers, bonded labor, etc. The scope far surpasses the topic of the institutional slavery that existed in the southern US in the 1800s.

Assuming you are sincere that this was the intention of your original post (I still have my doubts), if you had explained this in your original thread rather than starting with your political-socio-economic agenda statement of "CEO's and Corporations" then we could address that and be good to go. I assume you are bringing in the "Apple employs forced labor in the China factories" type of examples, which is bad labor but not equivalent. Otherwise there are laws in place that prevent the most extreme examples - Fair Trade law of 1932 (prohibits import of items created by forced labor) up to the 2010 California Transparency in Supply Chains Act (which essentially impacts all companies of any size, as they all do business in California). You mentioned also diamonds, hey I don't like De Beers either but conflict diamonds are already prohibited for trade by international law.

But once again, you shouldn't single out "corporations and CEO's", the person you should single out is....YOURSELF perhaps. Do you shop at Walmart? Do you buy stuff from Amazon?

Yep.

Everybody always wants to point the stinky finger of blame at someone else. But nobody wants to pay $100 for a pair of basic label blue jeans either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yup. Where I get my Che Guevara T's when I'm in a revolutionary mood.
I like this Che Guevara Tshirt.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
And what's that have to do with CEO's and corporations?
Yes there is slavery in the modern world, but I find your response a backpedal and disingenuous, as most corporations are forbidden by law (at least in the western countries) from benefiting from slavery, at least the type you are describing.
Sure, it's against the law but corporations do benefit from it anyway, mostly through their supply chain. (Do you know what a supply chain is?) They don't actually enslave people on their own. Many corporations break laws every day and get away with it. I think you're just upset because you feel this is a "liberal agenda" or something. Its not. It's a human rights issue. It's also very typical of ultra conservatives to believe slavery doesn't happen anymore, that it's simply a relic of the past and we should just forget about altogether.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Motion, basically I agree with you. But the slaves brought to America were also slaves in Africa, purchased from Africa.

How much money should Africa pay in reparations to the descendants of the slaves they sold on their coast who were destined to the American continent?
the slaves brought from Africa was a small % over time. the slave trade from Africa stopped in 1808 I believe, for the next 60 years slaves where "homegrown" meaning babies born.

Next many of the slaves from Africa were definitely not slaves in Africa. many were prisoners from conflicts in the country but don't get it twisted, many many were kidnapped by Africans PAID by European slave traders and no where in Africa was the system like the brutal, horrific system America came up with.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 AM

4,108 posts, read 3,447,161 times
President Johnson rescinded the reparations plan. Gates explains it-

The Truth Behind '40 Acres and a Mule' | African American History Blog | The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross

Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sure, it's against the law but corporations do benefit from it anyway, mostly through their supply chain. (Do you know what a supply chain is?) They don't actually enslave people on their own. Many corporations break laws every day and get away with it. I think you're just upset because you feel this is a "liberal agenda" or something. Its not. It's a human rights issue. It's also very typical of ultra conservatives to believe slavery doesn't happen anymore, that it's simply a relic of the past and we should just forget about altogether.
You aren't responding to the latest post on this side topic. But regardless, you've mentioned "corporations" twice and made references to political ideologies twice. I think your agenda is clear, and it has nothing to do with human rights or slavery or history.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:01 AM

2,980 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think you're just upset because you feel this is a "liberal agenda" or something. Its not. It's a human rights issue. It's also very typical of ultra conservatives to believe slavery doesn't happen anymore, that it's simply a relic of the past and we should just forget about altogether.
To do otherwise would interfere with Profits, blessed be their holy name.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM

3,482 posts, read 1,420,746 times
Default The heart of the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

And how do you really figure the economic contribution of slaves? Sure cotton was a cash crop, one that made the Southern states prosperous. But with the end of the Civil War, the South fell into absolute poverty. In fact, whatever wealth accumulated in antebellum times in the South had pretty much evaporated by 1863. Meanwhile, can you really make the case that the industrial north or the west grew and prospered because of slavery? That would be really difficult to prove, given the very small population of slaves that existed in the northern states before slavery was outlawed altogether as the colonies gained their independence. Or what about people in states such as Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska, Idaho, and all the rest, where every field was plowed, every building erected, and every road paved through the sweat of paid labor? Do those states need to pony up?

This book directly addresses the question. Slavery in the South was key to cotton, & cotton largely drove the economic development of the North - finance, ship building, insurance, crews, cordage, sails, provisions & on & on:

The half has never been told : slavery and the making of American capitalism / Edward E. Baptist, c2014, Basic Books.

Subjects

• Slavery -- United States -- History.
  • Slavery -- Economic aspects -- United States -- History.
  • African Americans -- Social conditions -- History.
Summary
  • Historian Edward Baptist reveals how the expansion of slavery in the first eight decades after American independence drove the evolution and modernization of the United States.
Length
  • xxvii, 498 pages : index, chapter notes
An excellent economic & political overview

Old 10-12-2018, 12:22 PM

6,438 posts, read 2,346,379 times
Quote:
You aren't responding to the latest post on this side topic. But regardless, you've mentioned "corporations" twice and made references to political ideologies twice. I think your agenda is clear, and it has nothing to do with human rights or slavery or history.
References to corporations are allowed here. Yes, corporations benefit from these practices and nobody has to hide that or pretend that it doesn't go on, because it makes you feel uncomfortable. What's clear is that you view human rights abuses as simply threats to capitalism, nothing more. Your viewpoint is that anyone who wants to discuss this is simply promoting a political agenda. Well unfortunately, slavery is a political issue and was one of the main reasons that the Civil War was fought.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
This book directly addresses the question. Slavery in the South was key to cotton, & cotton largely drove the economic development of the North - finance, ship building, insurance, crews, cordage, sails, provisions & on & on:

The half has never been told : slavery and the making of American capitalism / Edward E. Baptist, c2014, Basic Books.

Subjects

• Slavery -- United States -- History.
  • Slavery -- Economic aspects -- United States -- History.
  • African Americans -- Social conditions -- History.
Summary
  • Historian Edward Baptist reveals how the expansion of slavery in the first eight decades after American independence drove the evolution and modernization of the United States.
Length
  • xxvii, 498 pages : index, chapter notes
An excellent economic & political overview

Yes. Does he also address hemp? Hemp breaking was very labor intensive & all the sailing ships required lots of hemp rope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or