U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM

2,574 posts, read 1,641,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Today, he'd be shut down by #MeToo
They have never shut down Bill Clinton. As far as we know, at least JFK’s ‘encounters’ were all consensual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 11:25 AM

34,841 posts, read 42,987,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
But I don't know that he was politically any different. JFK and RFK were fresh faced, young, and inspiring, but LBJ was similarly lukewarm about entrenching us in Vietnam. The Gulf of Tonkin incident is what spurred it.
I don’t want to get off subject, but I was under the impression that Johnson was lied to by the Generals, and also micromanaged the war. I dont think the Kennedy boys would have allowed this.

Anyway, as a MA girl with republican parents, I would have voted for Bobby for my first election. I remember feeling as if he had strength and conviction. At the time, I had no clue about how the world works, though...just a typical idealistic child.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM

1,647 posts, read 576,391 times
In 1964 yes he would. In today's world, no

Old 11-09-2018, 06:07 PM

536 posts, read 323,991 times
No way!
Hanky Panky with Marilyn in the White House; Bay of Pigs invasion;
almost started WWIII,
began to send troops to Viet Nam,
oh, and he was killed just 1 day prior to signing the bill to get the U.S. off the Fed Res, and back to the gold standard...
...guess which "chosen" people didnt like that idea too much.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,936,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It would have made some difference. He suffered from Addison's Disease which is an inability of the body to produce an essential hormone. He was hospitalized eight times from 1950 to 1960. He might have died, except scientists figured out how to produce cortisone which was the hormone that JFK needed. If you look at pictures of him carefully, you may be able to make out puffy cheeks.

That doesn't sum it all up though. He had a really bad back. It was so bad that he wore a back brace under his clothing for pain relief. The problem bothered him for many years. I wondered how he met the physical fitness requirements to enlist in the Navy during World War II. After the war, he campaigned for public office and walked the neighborhoods around Boston. His aides remarked that they sometimes thought he would pass out from back pain trying to climb the stairs in some Boston brownstone apartments.

He was not a well man, but he was able to cover up most of it. On the other hand, he probably could have gotten through another four year term as President.

There are many stories of him philandering with women before and during his presidency. I'm sure they are generally correct. However, I have also wondered how a man with those physical problems could have been as "active" as some claim he was.

Perhaps the back problems didn’t begin until after WWII. He was the commander of a torpedo boat operating in the SW Pacific. The boat was rammed by a Japanese destroyer and sunk. Kennedy swam long distance with a shipmate in tow to a small island. There was probably enough physical punishment in that situation to give him life long back pain.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 PM

1,657 posts, read 586,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Indeed, in the 1960 election a few "faithless Electors" voted for Right Wing Democrat (!) Senator Harry Byrd of Virginia rather than vote for the Roman Catholic JFK. That didn't happen in 1964.
This is incorrect.

The only faithless elector in the 1960 election was a single Oklahoma elector, pledged to Nixon/Lodge but who instead voted for Byrd/Goldwater (a non-ticket, consisting of a segregationist Democratic Senator and an acceptably states-rights Republican Senator).

There were 14 electors who voted for Byrd/Thurmond (both segregationists, the latter then a Democrat, before he bolted to the GOP). However, they were not faithless electors because they were not pledged to Kennedy. They were elected by the Southern voters specifically as being unpledged to either of the major party candidates.

Their biggest gripe with Kennedy wasn't his Catholicism but his support for civil rights. Oh, and all those Democratic electors who voted for Byrd were from Mississippi and Alabama - which Johnson failed to carry in 1964. So Johnson most certainly did not win over the voters who put up the unpledged electors in 1960. Goldwater obliterated Johnson in both states.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,225,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
in '64?... by a landslide..
I agree. I think Kennedy would have easily won re-election strongly in 1964. But his second term would most likely have been a disaster, as it was for LBJ.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 PM

18,153 posts, read 17,300,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I agree. I think Kennedy would have easily won re-election strongly in 1964. But his second term would most likely have been a disaster, as it was for LBJ.
I think he would have won too. And, as a previous post implied, he probably wasn't going to get that involved in Viet Nam. That's what really made Johnson such a hated man.

And no one knew about JFK's womanizing so that wasn't a problem.

As for his health, he was very unwell but he had doctors who had him on some sort of happy pills so as long as he had those, he probably could have kept going. Anyway, if the powers that be (whoever they were) didn't think he was going to win, then why did they have to get him killed off? They knew how popular he was with blacks because he fought for their rights, how popular he was with young people because he established the Peace Corps and told them that they could do things for their country, popular with most people no matter what he did because of his charisma, his beautiful wife, and cute kids. If he hadn't had a good chance of being re-elected, they could have just left him alone to lose the election and be gone.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 PM

5,786 posts, read 6,509,483 times
John Kennedy and his wife, Jackie were so polite and classy. I miss that in a Presidential family.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:37 AM

32,733 posts, read 17,791,801 times
Lightbulb Would JFK be reelected

Almost certainly.

He was popular and the economy in the early 60s was strong. Civil rights was THE festering concern at the time and JFK was on the right side of that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History