U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:33 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,764,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I see nothing at all racist in his writings. He’s relating his observations of specific people in specific settings, not discussing all members of a ‘race’ everywhere.

Plus, stop trying to apply today’s ideas and morality to people of the past. Trust me, our current culture will be judged just as harshly a hundred years from now as we judge our past.
You ain't just a-whistling Dixie, rugrats! Oh, is THAT expression racist? Well, we must understand, everything said by anyone who is not of a certain political stripe is racist!!

When I see thread titles like this, with someone repeating the Boy Who Cried Wolf charge of "racist! racist! racist!" at every shadow in the known universe (except himself, of course) I roll my eyes and dismiss the OP as another accuser who knows little about himself. Or his "cause," which thanks to LBJ and Affirmative Action and a dozen, no a hundred, other racist guilty-conscience-salves of the left, have done immense damage all around, especially to the races they claim to love so much. BECAUSE of their race, BTW, and not about anything else. Talk about guilt. Let me count the ways.

So I take it Einstein should have said everyone he ever met was clean, smelled good, worked hard, was honest, pooped the right way, and was otherwise very much like the genius/prophet/walking encyclopedia NY Rep-elect Explorer Cortez?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 4,612,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
In other news, Martin Luther King, Jr, wasn't very good at theoretical physics.
That's the funniest thing I've heard in months. Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM

6,880 posts, read 2,491,643 times
There is nothing that can be done now, no matter how racist he was during his lifetime. He's dead. He can't be punished. It's pointless to go after a dead person.

Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

11,728 posts, read 17,152,391 times
Omg who cares!!
Leave Einstein alone already.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

738 posts, read 503,252 times
His views were shaped by his own life experiences up to that point, the time period in which he lived, the time period in which he visited these places, and the slices of the respective cultures to which he was exposed.

Most parts of China during that time period was indeed poor, rural, and uneducated. Hence the foundation for all of the upcoming social upheaval and consequent wars in the 1930s and 1940s. I’m sure he would have held a different opinion had he interacted with the Tang Dynasty court.

Funny enough, many Japanese cultural practices held in high esteem by some Westerners were actually imported from China. As well, Japan has the benefit of being a much smaller country, so it’s easier to disseminate ideas and practices influencing cultural norms.

I find it interesting he concluded that the Japanese were more artistically than intellectually talented. Seems to be the opposite view held by the average modern Westerners - that of the stereotypical bespectacled STEM nerd.

Time and place shapes people and their views.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

5,421 posts, read 9,604,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
When I see thread titles like this, with someone repeating the Boy Who Cried Wolf charge of "racist! racist! racist!" at every shadow in the known universe (except himself, of course) I roll my eyes and dismiss the OP as another accuser who knows little about himself.
Except they did no such thing, merely linked to an article about an historic figure. The OP apparently triggered a number of posters on this thread into a state of defensiveness, but did not take a moral stance on Einstein. Your response comes from you, not the initial post.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

811 posts, read 273,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Except they did no such thing, merely linked to an article about an historic figure. The OP apparently triggered a number of posters on this thread into a state of defensiveness, but did not take a moral stance on Einstein. Your response comes from you, not the initial post.
And you are Passive Aggressive.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

5,738 posts, read 1,759,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Newly translated into English, Albert Einstein’s private travel diaries from the 1920s reveal that he was racist in his early life, especially toward Chinese people.

The journals, published as “The Travel Diaries of Albert Einstein” by Princeton University Press, reveal that Einstein, perhaps the most famous scientist of all time and known for his theory of general relativity and the equation e=mc2 [sic], was extraordinarily biased toward certain populations.
Are you sure you don't mean biased against?

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

9,385 posts, read 15,929,028 times
Which means that he was like just about every other white person of that time. Next.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,146,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Every time I listen to Wagner's Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde, one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of classical music ever written, I cringe a little at his anti-Semitic viewpoints. But I can separate his viewpoints from his music. People are complex.
Wagner would condescend to conduct Mendelssohn, you know.

Wearing gloves. Which he would pointedly strip off and drop on the dais when the piece was done, to be swept away with the other dirt.

That's a level of racist hypocrisy that keeps me from completely enjoying RW's works.

The point with Einstein is not that he can be dragged down to some lower level, but that he like most admired historical figures was much more complex in every way than the one-page bio lets on. It's important to understand such a figure as a whole piece, not a cardboard cutout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or