U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

7,125 posts, read 2,794,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
FDR began an address to the Daughter of the American Revolution, "Fellow immigrants...".

Where we came from, when we got here are irrelevant as long as we adopt the founding principles of our country. Anyone can be an American.
That would have been an intriguing thing for him to have said, but sadly, he didn't say it.

(largely because he was, in fact, not addressing immigrants but rather, a population that had remained in a country for many, many generations).

The verbiage where that myth arose:

FDR (excerpt): “I thought of preaching on a text, but I shall not. I shall only give you the text and I shall not preach on it. I think I can afford to give you the text because it so happens, through no fault of my own, that I am descended from a number of people who came over in the Mayflower. More than that, every one of my ancestors on both sides—and when you go back four generations or five generations it means thirty-two or sixty-four of them—every single one of them, without exception, was in this land in 1776. And there was only one Tory among them.

The text is this: Remember, remember always that all Of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

212 posts, read 41,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I think maybe he's coming at this from the other direction and trying to get us to have a discussion that ultimately leads to the conclusion that we are a nation of immigrants and we must embrace the massive influx of Central and South American migration as a natural progression of historical population growth patterns. He's trying to lead us to a puddle of urine and get us to think it is water that we should drink.

Sorry, sorry, maybe I read a different history book...but weren't you (protestant squatters) the ones that migrated illegally to two-thirds of North America very recently?

There's a saying in Spanish that goes "mar..el último"...I guess that you would be considered as the M word.

Read history books. Real Americans are Amerindians, the rest were cannon fodder fleeing from starvation and annihilation- Plunderers that wrecked paradise according to 16th-century Italian pamphlet writers. and Bartolomé de las Casas.

No one is guilty, just happened that Feudal mercenaries and uncouth "heathens" met very isolated human groups with no iron and no horses, the same happened in Europe 3.000 years ago and there was a mass extinction. History.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; Yesterday at 08:15 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

1,879 posts, read 767,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I really don’t see how there is an ethnic American type.
Ethnogenesis is a thing. There are multiple American ethnic groups that were formed here and are unique to this country. We have culture that was created in the United States.

Black Americans are an ethnic group from the United States. And there are several white american ethnic groups depending on how specific you want to be - Appalachian mountain people are a good example.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

9,778 posts, read 5,391,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ethnogenesis is a thing. There are multiple American ethnic groups that were formed here and are unique to this country. We have culture that was created in the United States.

Black Americans are an ethnic group from the United States. And there are several white american ethnic groups depending on how specific you want to be - Appalachian mountain people are a good example.
Very true.

Old Today, 04:34 PM

8,670 posts, read 5,976,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Ethnic Americans identify with the United States. This is the country we are from. American ethnic groups were created in the United States. Our culture is a product of 400 years of our experience in this nation. It's not from some other country.

People of recent immigrant origin identify with foreign countries. Italian-Americans, for example, call themselves Italian and see their culture as something that was imported from Italy.

There's a huge difference.
Nonsense. You don't get to define what "American-ness" is. I categorically reject your ethnocentric attempt to "otherize" and divide us. As an Asian American, I am sick and tired of people with your narrow minded, exclusionary views to paint us as "perpentual foreigners".

Last edited by silverkris; Today at 04:43 PM..

Old Today, 04:57 PM

254 posts, read 87,809 times
Before I started doing genealogy in the last couple years I had no idea when my ancestors arrived in the US, just knew they was Irish-English-German-French. DNA test says 99% Northern European. Genealogy so far shows 11 generations in US, pre-Revolutionary, but probably more, haven't found my boat people yet except for the Irish, latecomers. I do not feel any more charged up as an American than before. Not REALLY (emphasis per thread title) any more American than those who became an American yesterday.

I agree with posters who state that many Africans were here as slaves/citizens before many other European ethnicities arrived (i.e.Irish and many others).

Native Americans will always beat anyone else's claim to who is really American. They were here waaay first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or