U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:40 AM

23,288 posts, read 65,328,669 times

Advertisements

The OP is insulting to those that came to the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s and made the country what it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM

22,175 posts, read 18,683,440 times
I AM an AMERICAN by birth. It does not matter that I am ONLY 2nd generation in this country as part of my heritage. What a disgraceful OP.

Old Today, 05:18 PM

654 posts, read 280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The space doesn't allow for the full title I wanted. But essentially do you (your forefathers) have had to have played a role in the nations key formative events. I placed 1865 as the cut off as the CW is the definitive event in US history. I mean to truly be from the US does the likes of Lexington and Concord have to mean something to you?

Essentially, unless you have connections to such epic events are you not less American than those who shaped the nation. It follows that 'real Americans' (not hyphened) are inevitably rooted in Western Europe and the AA population.

Just a thought exercise. The US is becoming too far detatched from what made it 'America'.
1776 in my opinion.

Old Today, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
By the third generation they would lose their native language and whatever religion and custom the first generation brought with them.
Everybody keeps saying this but this definitely isn't the case in the southwest.

Old Today, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It comes down to shared values and respect for one another and the willingness to hang together as Americans. One's ancestry or roots or race are not part of the equation. If you think that those things matter most of all then you are not a "real" American.
How can somebody whose ancestors founded this country not be a real American?

Old Today, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
That's ignorant. I am FROM this country. I argue with people about this all the time. We have meaningful roots in the United States. This isn't just a place where I am living, my family is from this country - since the 17th century.

I don't understand why everybody else can identify with their country but not Americans.
The problem is America is a new world country.

Old Today, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yes. The same logic they use to deny our ethnic Americanness can be used to imply that no one in the world is from anywhere. All the countries in North and South America have a similar history of colonization and immigration that the United States does. I guess Argentine people can't say that they're from Argentina. They're not from there.

Even older nations wouldn't be able to claim to belong to their country. Ethnic Japanese people wouldn't be Japanese cause they're not the natives of Japan. They migrated from somewhere else and pushed out the native Ainu people. They don't belong there.

American history is not exceptional. We have a right to identify with our country as much as anybody in the world does with theirs. U.S.A is older than most countries in the world.
Don't forget the British are anglo, celtic, roman, danish, norman...

Old Today, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Time can not define what makes a REAL American. If that is the case, those folks have their own identification qualifier - called "Native". If you don't have that qualifier in your linkage, then you have the other that the overwhelming majority of "Americans' have - "Immigrant". But neither of these really defines what a REAL American is, and to understand what a REAL American really is, one has to take a step back and realize how juvenile America (as we define it here) really is when compared to the rest of the world. In that contrast, we're talking hundreds compared to thousands of years old..

America as we know it today, is still very much a living and evolving experiment. It's origins are very much based upon the fleeing of those being religiously persecuted from Europe. Sound familiar to today's situation? It should. America is growing. America is evolving. America is a fluid boundary line of ideas and dreams and hopes and prayers (of all kind), all of which are cemented by the core belief in creating something good for all, instead of good for just some. So, to REALLY be an American, you have to understand that what you think is the defining value of today is really nothing more than a building block, a stepping stone, another riser in the staircase, to what America is meant to become, which is to only be defined by the open, willing, dedicated, and beloved philosophies that at our core, we are just human beings trying to live our lives the best that we can without hurting others in the process.
How could you immigrate to a country that didn't exist?

Old Today, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The US is very different. What binds us together isn't a shared religion, or ethnicity, or even language, but a shared belief is a particular system of government. Anyone who supports the principles of government outlined in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States can be an American. \

So only constitutional conservatives are real Americans?

Old Today, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Real Americans' roots go back before 1492.
What do they call themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or