U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 12:26 PM
 
307 posts, read 151,302 times
Reputation: 290

Advertisements

The space doesn't allow for the full title I wanted. But essentially do you (your forefathers) have had to have played a role in the nations key formative events. I placed 1865 as the cut off as the CW is the definitive event in US history. I mean to truly be from the US does the likes of Lexington and Concord have to mean something to you?

Essentially, unless you have connections to such epic events are you not less American than those who shaped the nation. It follows that 'real Americans' (not hyphened) are inevitably rooted in Western Europe and the AA population.

Just a thought exercise. The US is becoming too far detatched from what made it 'America'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,356 posts, read 3,538,551 times
Reputation: 15161
Anyone who was either born here or who has sworn the oath of citizenship is a REAL American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:45 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,556 posts, read 462,197 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The space doesn't allow for the full title I wanted. But essentially do you (your forefathers) have had to have played a role in the nations key formative events. I placed 1865 as the cut off as the CW is the definitive event in US history. I mean to truly be from the US does the likes of Lexington and Concord have to mean something to you?
No.


Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Essentially, unless you have connections to such epic events are you not less American than those who shaped the nation. It follows that 'real Americans' (not hyphened) are inevitably rooted in Western Europe and the AA population.
No.


Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Just a thought exercise. The US is becoming too far detatched from what made it 'America'.
What does this even mean?

Why is this a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:55 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
5,213 posts, read 2,978,650 times
Reputation: 9582
Not worth dragging this out so I'll just say NO (in so many ways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:00 PM
 
307 posts, read 151,302 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who was either born here or who has sworn the oath of citizenship is a REAL American.
A people united neither by heritage or shared experience have very weak bonds. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:02 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 686,130 times
Reputation: 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The US is becoming too far detatched from what made it 'America'.

Immigrants made America, in case you've forgotten.


I know a woman who just became an American citizen a few months ago. Some of my ancestors came to the US in the 1700s. She and I are both 100% American citizens, no difference between us at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:10 PM
 
307 posts, read 151,302 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Immigrants made America, in case you've forgotten.


I know a woman who just became an American citizen a few months ago. Some of my ancestors came to the US in the 1700s. She and I are both 100% American citizens, no difference between us at all.
A nice statement but do you REALLY believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:11 PM
 
Location: San Jose
1,556 posts, read 462,197 times
Reputation: 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
A people united neither by heritage or shared experience have very weak bonds. No?
United by what heritage? I wouldn't use early American history as a benchmark of unity when by historical accounts it was anything but unified. Ultimately resulting a brutal Civil War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:27 PM
 
307 posts, read 151,302 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
United by what heritage? I wouldn't use early American history as a benchmark of unity when by historical accounts it was anything but unified. Ultimately resulting a brutal Civil War.
The CW was a complex affair rooted ultimately in the slavery issue. However the early US and the citizenry d8d share (to a greater degree than today) cultural commonality and a shared experience. To deny that is rather silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:28 PM
 
1,422 posts, read 686,130 times
Reputation: 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
A nice statement but do you REALLY believe it?

Seriously?? Do you know nothing about American history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top