U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:52 PM

3,881 posts, read 6,825,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think he'll be remembered for some foreign policy achievements, most notably the Persian Gulf War (the first one) and helping to wind down the Cold War. On the negative side, he'll be remembered for "Read my lips, no new taxes." On the whole, he'll probably be remembered for what seemed like a great deal of personal decency and good character.
As the guy above your post, Pogue Mahoney notes, HW was a globalist not a nationalist, and ultimately not an American patriot.

Anyone who's been a CIA chief is IMO not trustworthy in any form.

I believe that the Bush family is pretty much owned by the Saudis and the Mexicans. We had no business interfering in Mideast affairs, because it has worked out disastrously time and again.

Suppose Saddam marched on into our "friends" the Saudis, took over, toppled the royals, and remained a solid ally in the area?
Iraq would balance radical Iran, we'd still have had access to their oil, and there ultimately would have been more freedom and a better life for the citizens involved.

Was Saddam George Washington or Thomas Jefferson? No. No such critter will ever rise in the Mideast.

We wouldn't have had a 911. W for Warrior wouldn't have gotten us into Endless Pointless Victoryless wars, to be continued by his idiot successors the mole and, apparently, Big Hair.

We wouldn't have sunk three or four or five TRILLION into E-P-V wars, we wouldn't have a burned-out burned-down military, we wouldn't have thousands of military dead, many more maimed, many more traumatized.

There wouldn't be hundreds of thousands or a million+ dead Iraqi and Afghan civilians, hundreds of thousands more maimed and traumatized.

Would the Mideast be perfect without our benevolent presence there? NO.

Would the Mideast be less of a hellhole and disaster area than it is now? YES.

Nation-building. It worked in Vietnam, didn't it? It works just as well just about every time it's tried.

Last edited by Dwatted Wabbit; 12-20-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM

25,113 posts, read 60,367,371 times
Last of the honorable presidents.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:59 PM

10,004 posts, read 5,459,790 times
Didn't Bush sexually assault some women? And old age isn't an excuse. If these stories are true, he knew what he was doing. https://www.vox.com/2018/12/1/172744...y-metoo-legacy

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

5,099 posts, read 3,249,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Didn't Bush sexually assault some women? And old age isn't an excuse. If these stories are true, he knew what he was doing. https://www.vox.com/2018/12/1/172744...y-metoo-legacy

Pretty easy to jump on the #metoo bandwagon and make accusations against someone who can't respond. But my doubts were confirmed by the accounts of the confirmation hearings of both Thomas and Cavanaugh. The article presented as fact the allegations made against these men, but to me they both came off as partisan smear campaigns against honorable men.

So yeah, maybe there's truth to these accusations; I don't know. But I don't consider Vox to be a credible source in this matter.

Old Today, 04:04 AM

10,004 posts, read 5,459,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Pretty easy to jump on the #metoo bandwagon and make accusations against someone who can't respond. But my doubts were confirmed by the accounts of the confirmation hearings of both Thomas and Cavanaugh. The article presented as fact the allegations made against these men, but to me they both came off as partisan smear campaigns against honorable men.

So yeah, maybe there's truth to these accusations; I don't know. But I don't consider Vox to be a credible source in this matter.
Bush was very much able to respond when these allegations were made (he regularly made statements through a spokesperson). You'll find that the allegations were reported by more than Vox, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or