U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM

138 posts, read 53,822 times

Advertisements

From a purely historical perspective, how will George H.W. Bush be remembered? While he was relatively influential in terms of foreign policy, domestically his presidency wasn't particularly notable.

I feel he is sort of a modern day James K. Polk. More consequential and important than most one-term presidents, but in 100-150 years the average American won't know much about him, save for perhaps being the "other George Bush"-the father of the more consequential and two-term 43rd president.

Rest in peace and Godspeed, Mr. President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 PM

3,622 posts, read 2,601,660 times
nice guy

smooth transition from the end of the cold war

Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 8,346,155 times
Depends on who you ask.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 PM

5,307 posts, read 3,025,418 times
I was never a huge fan but I think he will be viewed in a positive way and ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack. He had some class but there were a few missteps and he seemed focused and dedicated to the job. He seemed to be a man of multiple talents with a varied career in politics. We don't seem to have many combat veteran Presidents even though we are seemingly always deploying our troops somewhere. The more current/recent opinions might be influenced by people's opinions of his successors rather than his accomplishments.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:41 AM

6,979 posts, read 2,644,838 times
He will be remembered as one of the architects of the Globalist New World Order. The scourge of the middle class. But a very nice man by all accounts.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 AM

3,866 posts, read 1,734,770 times
The NYT is working on this right now. They'll let us know soon.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM

32,930 posts, read 17,943,931 times
Default How will history remember George H.W. Bush?

I think he'll be remembered as a decent man, committed to serving the nation. While his presidency was moderately successful, his overall record of govt service is impressive. What stands out is that he consistently pursued the national interest, even if it wasn't to his political advantage.

Country over party, as it should be.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM

5,045 posts, read 3,220,330 times
I think he'll be remembered for some foreign policy achievements, most notably the Persian Gulf War (the first one) and helping to wind down the Cold War. On the negative side, he'll be remembered for "Read my lips, no new taxes." On the whole, he'll probably be remembered for what seemed like a great deal of personal decency and good character.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM

4,180 posts, read 1,704,850 times
Gotta say it. I think people have so taken for granted what happened in 1989-1991 that they don't even bother thinking about what could have happened.

Empires do not simply fizzle out without a shot being fired. The very fact that the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union went out of business without a major shooting war speaks to the foreign policy acumen of the man. To be sure, Gorbachev did not want a repeat of Budapest or Prague. But President Bush and his staff coolly pulled the levers of statecraft behind the scenes. A great deal could have gone wrong if someone less adroit had occupied the Oval Office.

The same is true for the first Gulf War. To be sure, there are things he could have done differently. Name any leader for which that isn't true. But George Bush was the right person to be president at a very crucial juncture in history. For anyone to simply shrug and say, "Oh, he did an okay job" during those three years just wasn't paying attention all that much as they were happening.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:53 PM

9,542 posts, read 2,608,709 times
50/50

That's where he sits in the Historical Rankings and that is where I sit having lived through it all.

The first Gulf War was not a war. It was a battle. We won that one and lost the war....a whole 'nother story. But that's the fault of the Son, not the Father...and neo-cons and hawks in general (The American People who cheered - maybe 80% of them).....

Daddy Bush scores higher as a man (not to be sexist here) and as a human being than he does as POTUS.

As far as the post above that those who rate his POTUS "meh" don't know things, I'd say that Presidential Scholars and historians DO know things and that they measure using real data and comparison, not emotion or party.

If you look up his major accomplishments they are few. True.

I think many today may be fooled because we are not accustomed to civil people like him being in Power...so they may give a bunch of point to "attendance" which shouldn't be given. Just because some bigger fools exist now shouldn't lower the general bar.

Last edited by craigiri; 12-04-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or