Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM

277 posts, read 191,353 times

Advertisements

I've heard that this battle could be thought of as a Coup attempt. As Caesar's child in Egypt was Co-Pharoah with his mother Cleopatra and was the rightful heir to Rome. Had this occurred, I've also heard that this would have brought the capital of the Roman Empire(Rome) to Egypt instead of remaining in Italy. And thus, the Roman Empire would of had an Egyptian base and not of been an Italian thing.

Again, can this battle be thought of in some respect as a failed Coup attempt??

P.S. I know Egypt was not part of the Roman Empire, but Mark Antony was a Roman Citizen.

Last edited by AlwaysByChance; 12-06-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByChance View Post
I've heard that this battle could be thought of as a Coup attempt. As Caesar's child in Egypt was Co-Pharoah with his mother Cleopatra and was the rightful heir to Rome. Had this occurred, I've also heard that this would have brought the capital of the Roman Empire(Rome) to Egypt instead of remaining in Italy. And thus, the Roman Empire would of had an Egyptian base and not of been an Italian thing.

On what basis would Caesar's child with Cleopatra be "the rightful heir to Rome?" Rome was not a monarchy with bloodline succession. Caesar got himself named Dictator for Life but that did not come with any laws regarding his eventual replacement. Even after Caesar's will was read and it was learned that he had named Octavian as his heir, that meant he was heir to Caesar's fortune, not necessarily his political offices. Octavian was not suddenly named emperor, he had to fight for it.

Last edited by Grandstander; 12-06-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
On what basis would Caesar's child with Cleopatra be "the rightful heir to Rome?" Rome was not a monarchy with bloodline succession. Caesar got himself named Dictator for Life but that did not come with any laws regarding his eventual replacement. Even after Caesar's will was read and it was learned that he had named Octavius as his heir, that meant he was heir to Caesar's fortune, not necessarily his political offices. Octavius was not suddenly named emperor, he had to fight for it.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But, in your opinion can this battle be seen as a coup attempt? I know it happened near Greece and was relatively far from Rome. But, the Egyptian navy could have traveled there and took Rome had they won, right?

Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But, in your opinion can this battle be seen as a coup attempt? I know it happened near Greece and was relatively far from Rome. But, the Egyptian navy could have traveled there and took Rome had they won, right?
Antony and Octavian each held the same rank, the empire was divided into two ruling divisions after the termination of Lepidus from the triumvirate. Either side warring on the other might be construed as a coup attempt.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Antony and Octavian each held the same rank, the empire was divided into two ruling divisions after the termination of Lepidus from the triumvirate. Either side warring on the other might be construed as a coup attempt.
Ok, I'm also guessing it's seen as a battle between Rome and Egypt because Egypt was independent, hence it couldn't be seen as a Coup attempt. But, Mark Antony a Roman Citizen, was calling the shots that's why I see it as a Coup attempt.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'm also guessing it's seen as a battle between Rome and Egypt because Egypt was independent, hence it couldn't be seen as a Coup attempt. But, Mark Antony a Roman Citizen, was calling the shots that's why I see it as a Coup attempt.
It was a battle between the two halves of the Roman empire, not a battle between Rome and Egypt.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
It was a battle between the two halves of the Roman empire, not a battle between Rome and Egypt.
Egypt was the power behind it all. I know the Egyptians retreated but they were there in numbers without a doubt.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:

P.S. I know Egypt was not part of the Roman Empire, but Mark Antony was a Roman Citizen.

I'm having trouble with what you said in your PS. Mare Nostrum included all of the Mediterranean coast line. I will check this out.
It appears that Egypt was a dependent state in 50 BC. It was later incorporated into the Roman Empire by 117 AD.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I'm having trouble with what you said in your PS. Mare Nostrum included all of the Mediterranean coast line. I will check this out.
It appears that Egypt was a dependent state in 50 BC. It was later incorporated into the Roman Empire by 117 AD.
As you may or may not be aware Egypt was Independent until 30BC

This is what Egypt and Rome looked like in 50BC dude.

https://www.google.com/search?source...uzKHdYrtuMhOM:

Last edited by AlwaysByChance; 12-06-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 04:16 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Actually, it was Octavian who declared war on Egypt (Antony & Cleopatra) https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ttle-of-actium

Check this time line for November 44BC. https://www.totallytimelines.com/oct...-63-bce-14-ce/ That's the year G.Julius Caesar was assassinated and Marc Antony was Consul (officially elected leader) of Rome. Octavian "relieved" him of that duty with the threat of his personal army. That was the coup. The battle of Actium 13 yrs later was merely the final stand of Antony when he ran out of bullets, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History