Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM

793 posts, read 2,212,939 times

Advertisements

Destruction of menkind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Whatever happens we will certainly see.......
Changes beyond our wildest imagination.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
We will get computers installed into our brains, so we can access the internet at all times, and be able to communicate with our minds. Humans will know everything.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
1) US grows to 400 million, continuing to absorb immigrants much the same way it always has. Culturally, it will continue to be a richer country. Economically, it will be even wealthier, with a smaller share of the world economy.

2) China collapses socially and economically, due primarily to the weight of long-term demographic problems of it's "One Couple, One Child" policy. Not enough workers, and too many old people.

3) Europe will stage a renaissance of sorts, chiefly in reaction to worries of being marginalized on the world stage.

4) Extraordinary medical advances will increase human lifespans beyond our imagining.

5) The exploration/settlement of space will greatly accelerate once private industry gets hold of the enterprise. 100,000 humans will permanently life in space by the year 2100.

6) Global Warming will be laughed at as a crackpot scientific theory. The earth will undergo a cooling spell beginning around 2010, and lasting until well into the middle of the century.

7) Global population will stabilize at about 11 billion.

8) Extraordinary scientific advances in physics will lead to new energy sources.

9) People will largely remain the same. There will be more gay marriages, and fewer heterosexual marriages. Crime will exist. Terrorists will exist. Husbands and wives will fool around on one another. Jokes involving farting and sex will remain prevalent.

10) We will be inundated in data, from our clothes and eyewear to our clothes, homes, and offices. People will actually be so overwhelmed by all this data that they'll go on vacations for this reason alone.

11) We will be a much more regulated, much more closely watched society.
You are just too upbeat. I suspect the answer is somewhere between my statement and yours, but if we are going to look for reality than only "the sunshine" won’t do. Here is the dark side. Lets hope I am wrong and you are right, and we fall somewhere between the two.

Originally Posted by cpg35223
1) US grows to 400 million, continuing to absorb immigrants much the same way it always has. Culturally, it will continue to be a richer country. Economically, it will be even wealthier, with a smaller share of the world economy.
The US will continue to grow, but due to lower education requirements will slip into a secondary power position. Lower work ethic will progress, and cause a system of have and have-nots. Tension will increase and the government will be required to step in and control urban unrest. Personal freedoms will not exist anymore. Food will be in short supply due in part to Global warming, but also due to lands damaged from years of chemical fertilizers.

2)
China collapses socially and economically, due primarily to the weight of long-term demographic problems of it's "One Couple, One Child" policy. Not enough workers, and too many old people.

China will continue to advance as the population drops their conversion to an automated society will kick into gear. Production will remain high, and the balance of trade will continue to swing in their favor. Education will be mandated and their cultural growth will improve as will their quality of life. Their rapid growth will have wrecked their environment and many Chinese will be looking for better areas to retire in. This will be made possible as they now control 95% of the worlds Gold reserves.

3) Europe will stage a renaissance of sorts, chiefly in reaction to worries of being marginalized on the world stage.
Europe will continue to follow the path to a 3rd world region. Population will no longer want to work over 20 hour a week, and the governments attempt to services this population will have driven the tax producing industry out. Islam will be replacing Christianity as the major faith, and battles will break out between the two faiths.

4) Extraordinary medical advances will increase human lifespans beyond our imagining.

Advances in medican from the development of stem Cell technology will advance primarily in China due to their early start. The new medical services will be available to those who can pay for it and that number will be small.

5) The exploration/settlement of space will greatly accelerate once private industry gets hold of the enterprise. 100,000 humans will permanently life in space by the year 2100.

China will establish the first colony on the moon.

6) Global Warming will be laughed at as a crackpot scientific theory. The earth will undergo a cooling spell beginning around 2010, and lasting until well into the middle of the century.

As sea levels rise and cities in the coastal areas are flooded the number of refugees will increase to hundred of millions. Areas in India, and Bangladesh will be flooded and millions of lives lost. Large areas of land will shift to deserts and farm lands will be in short supply. Al Gore will be praised as the profit of the past we did not listen to. New York will be abandoned and the coastal regions will submerge as sea levels rises 120 feet. Storms will batter the remaining land masses with winds of over 200 miles an hour for days at a time. The salinity of the ocean shifts and mass extinctions are followed one after the other. The pH of the oceans drop as carbonic acid rains down and kills off the plankton and oxygen production drops reducing the levels in our atmosphere.
7) Global population will stabilize at about 11 billion.
Starvation will spread across the globe and Mother Nature will send one pandemic after the other through the weakened human race.
8) Extraordinary scientific advances in physics will lead to new energy sources.
Science will struggle to stabilize the planets environment, and fine cures for the plagues which are slowly reducing the human race to primitive levels again. Religion will still try and force their primitive ideas on science.

9) People will largely remain the same. There will be more gay marriages, and fewer heterosexual marriages. Crime will exist. Terrorists will exist. Husbands and wives will fool around on one another. Jokes involving farting and sex will remain prevalent.

The world will be divided into the have and those with nothing, the educated and the uneducated will form a secondary class, and hostility will rain over the land.
Prejudice will expand to all levels of life, no segment will be exempt.

10) We will be inundated in data, from our clothes and eyewear to our clothes, homes, and offices. People will actually be so overwhelmed by all this data that they'll go on vacations for this reason alone.

The advancement of high-tech and information gathering will slow as the funding drops off. The cultures with funds will still have the leading technologies, but the growth will slow as people to buy the new technologies drop off.

11) We will be a much more regulated, much more closely watched society.
This I agree with Big brother will watch us and keep tabs on all our actions.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
With so many people predicting space colonies, i have to ask...whats the point? Just because its "cool to live in space"? I also think people overestimate the continued advancement of technology compared to what we've seen during the second half of the 20th century. I believe technology will continue to advance rapidly...to a point, and then it will start to slow down. Our society needs to realize there is a difference between whats actually plausible and sustainable for our future and the techno-utopia that the science fiction of the 20th century has ingrained into our minds.

Last edited by bchris02; 05-01-2008 at 05:08 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 07:59 AM

I guess you seen movies in the 60s trying to show what they think the year 2000 would be, and you can see how far they were from the truth. So trying to figure out what the year 2100 will be would be next to impossible. I am sure most people in 2100 would laugh at everything said here, as it be so far from the truth.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
I guess you seen movies in the 60s trying to show what they think the year 2000 would be, and you can see how far they were from the truth. So trying to figure out what the year 2100 will be would be next to impossible. I am sure most people in 2100 would laugh at everything said here, as it be so far from the truth.
During the space age of the '50s and '60s people began to have far-fetched dreams about the future. By now, we were supposed to have flying cars and floating space cities. I still don't think flying cars will have emerged by 2100. I think the automobile will be used for increasingly short distance travel. High speed rail is the long distance transportation method of the future.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:06 PM

no one for sure can predict what will happen, How we can do is compare with how things are going now, but things changes so much, that the future may go an alternative root then we think.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Hmmmmm! quite an interesting question. I'll just probably be dead and won't give a hoot, unless I'm reincarnated.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Everyone will die from some super plague by the year 2012, except a couple million people. Or at least, one could only hope (as long as I'm still alive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History