Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
True, but some that hit hot subjects, like the early M. Moore films, draw a more extended audience.
And Hollywood has a very poor track record when it comes to figuring out which documentaries are going to "go big" and which will not. So why not give this one a decent chance? WW l isn't exactly an obscure subject, and Peter Jackson is a well-known director.

Quote:
My impression is that it wasn't completely polished at that point and ready for release. Making movies is complex, and just because a film is "in the (shipping) can," that doesn't mean the lawyers have every legal question answered and every release in hand.
It was in release in the UK and the ANZAC countries at that time. So any issues weren't with the film itself, but would have to have been on the legal/distribution planning/paperwork side of things. (Which is unfortunate, since it means the film missed its optimal window for theatrical success in the US. The further we move away from November 11, the less interest most people will have in seeing it.)

Quote:
Perhaps. The statement you made is one commonly made by an individual enamored with a movie. I can't count the times someone came up to me and asked for old-fashion westerns, or a preacher plugged a "values" movie without regard to the realities of exhibition. In a way, this type of booking is in keeping with the recent pop-up store phenom. Make it limited time, hit social media, and it becomes a crowded event at low cost. It is what it is.[/color]
If they wanted the film to be a "pop-up" success, then it needed a much better advance marketing campaign. I knew weeks ago that this film was going to eventually play in my city and was actively keeping my eye out for it, but still only found out about the one and only evening showing in my city only after it was over. Most people who might enjoy this movie but who are not are not cinemaphiles like me will find out abut the movie far too late to see it in a theater.

And the statement about my city being a film-goer's Mecca is not an exaggeration. We have two dedicated art-house cinemas, one Alamo Drafthouse cinema currently open (and another which will be opening in a few weeks), and two other theater chains (AMC and Marcus) which regularly show some indies, foreign films, and documentaries as well as the usual Hollywood stuff. We even have regular showings of Bollywood movies at one of our AMC theaters. I don't know why the people in my city love movies so much, but we clearly do!

But you're right; it is what it is. At least I can salve my wounds with the knowledge I got to see Roma on the big screen, as it needs to be seen. Missing THAT would have been a tragedy. But since it played for a week, I had no trouble catching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
There is nothing but crap out right now. It could have been their blockbuster. Apparently they do not want it to be.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:26 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Wasn't this broadcasted on TV in the UK? It was a huge, huge hit there.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Wasn't this broadcasted on TV in the UK? It was a huge, huge hit there.
Yes, it was (at least according to English_Dave). They aired it on November 11, to coincide with all the remembrance ceremonies. (And I'm not in the least surprised it was a huge hit there, given the impact the war had on that country. I bet it would be a hit on the Continent as well, for the same reasons.)

Old 12-22-2018, 12:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,876 times
Will definitely check this out. Btw, there are a couple of WWI documentaries with footage that has already been colorized on YouTube. World War 1 in Colour and Apocalypse

Old 12-23-2018, 06:03 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,884,817 times
I saw a preview and it was interesting. Some of the shots are closeups and in one instance you could read the lips of one of the soldiers saying " look I'm in the pictures."

Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Thanks for the heads up, I've contacted our local 3D theater that plays films like this one and inquired whether they have plans to show it.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Wow, did I get lucky! I told a friend about today’s afternoon showings (which I could not attend, but she could). She texted me to let me know the movie had done so well that the theater she had seen it at scheduled two last-minute additional showings - and one was at 6:15! I made it, and the theater was nearly sold out (pretty impressive for an unscheduled last-minute showing).

The movie deserves all the critical praise it has been receiving. The mini-documentary afterward, where Peter Jackson discusses the making of it, was also every bit as fascinating as the main film. I hope it’s released here in the US on DVD and streaming very soon, so all the people who didn’t get the opportunity to see it in the theater can at least see it at home.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:47 PM

Great news! The film has set a record, earning over 5 million dollars in its two days in the theaters - and plans are now underway to give it a true theatrical release! https://variety.com/2018/film/news/p...ld-1203095920/

Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
I finally got a chance to see it today. Quite an impressive bit of restoration and giving an historically consistent impression of infantry life in that war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History