U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2018, 09:55 AM
 
6,852 posts, read 3,567,668 times
Reputation: 3490

Advertisements

I saw a bit of this on a morning news show and it looks fantastic. I hope I`m not in violation here by posting this but for a WW1 buff it looks like a must see and it`s in theaters tonight and Dec. 27.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/pe...ed-1202010938/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2018, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
21,033 posts, read 4,412,754 times
Reputation: 25818
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I saw a bit of this on a morning news show and it looks fantastic. I hope I`m not in violation here by posting this but for a WW1 buff it looks like a must see and it`s in theaters tonight and Dec. 27.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/pe...ed-1202010938/
I saw that too this AM...looks fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 08:56 PM
 
4 posts, read 724 times
Reputation: 10
Yea this looks incredible. Apparently, Peter Jackson did this pro bono, which is pretty great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,796 posts, read 3,763,371 times
Reputation: 16696
It came to my town, but only for two days - December 17 and December 27. And it was only scheduled for evening showings at 7 PM on December 17 - and I had to work late tonight. So I've missed it!

(WHY would a theater schedule this for only two days - and with only one of those two days offering an evening performance?! It makes no sense! I really wanted to see this film, but the scheduling made it impossible for me to attend. It should have been treated like any other documentary and given a reasonable theatrical run of at least a week.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 AM
 
6,852 posts, read 3,567,668 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It came to my town, but only for two days - December 17 and December 27. And it was only scheduled for evening showings at 7 PM on December 17 - and I had to work late tonight. So I've missed it!

(WHY would a theater schedule this for only two days - and with only one of those two days offering an evening performance?! It makes no sense! I really wanted to see this film, but the scheduling made it impossible for me to attend. It should have been treated like any other documentary and given a reasonable theatrical run of at least a week.)
I saw this at 4:00 yesterday and the theatre was half full and I think that`s pretty good for that hour. An employee said that they were expecting close to a full house for the 7:00 showing.
It was brutally awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,796 posts, read 3,763,371 times
Reputation: 16696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I saw this at 4:00 yesterday and the theatre was half full and I think that`s pretty good for that hour. An employee said that they were expecting close to a full house for the 7:00 showing.
That's why I don't understand why they made this such a limited showing. It's a brand new documentary by a major director, has received a lot of buzz, and is on a timely subject. It deserved a full theatrical release!

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it eventually comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray, or on a streaming service I can access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM
 
6,852 posts, read 3,567,668 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's why I don't understand why they made this such a limited showing. It's a brand new documentary by a major director, has received a lot of buzz, and is on a timely subject. It deserved a full theatrical release!

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it eventually comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray, or on a streaming service I can access.
I was pleasantly surprised that there were that many people at the theater and more surprised that there were quite a few younger people there. To me young people are those under 40. I expect it will pop up somewhere but there is the 3D issue. That was a first for this 65 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,187 posts, read 52,420,479 times
Reputation: 28467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It came to my town, but only for two days - December 17 and December 27. And it was only scheduled for evening showings at 7 PM on December 17 - and I had to work late tonight. So I've missed it!

(WHY would a theater schedule this for only two days - and with only one of those two days offering an evening performance?! It makes no sense! I really wanted to see this film, but the scheduling made it impossible for me to attend. It should have been treated like any other documentary and given a reasonable theatrical run of at least a week.)
This is a specialty movie, with an expected limited audience. This time of year is a peak time for theatres, with all of the major distributors DEMANDING screen time, often outrageously so. Getting ANY time is almost impossible for an independent. Mondays can be slow days, and movies typically finish a run on a Thursday, so pulling a last show or two is unlikely to get anyone in hot water.

It is possible that the prime reasons for the showings happening at all is just to be eligible for an award cycle, where an award or two can bump the asking price up when shopping the work to media distributors. Release to blu-ray, dvd, cable or streaming service may be the target income stream.

Movies are made to make money. Theatres exist to make money. It is that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
6,796 posts, read 3,763,371 times
Reputation: 16696
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is a specialty movie, with an expected limited audience.
That is true for any documentary. They are never blockbusters.

Quote:
This time of year is a peak time for theatres, with all of the major distributors DEMANDING screen time, often outrageously so. Getting ANY time is almost impossible for an independent.
It could have been released in early November, before the start of the holiday season (and closer to the actual end of the war).

Quote:
Mondays can be slow days, and movies typically finish a run on a Thursday, so pulling a last show or two is unlikely to get anyone in hot water.
So why not an evening showing on Thursday as well as Monday?

Quote:
It is possible that the prime reasons for the showings happening at all is just to be eligible for an award cycle, where an award or two can bump the asking price up when shopping the work to media distributors. Release to blu-ray, dvd, cable or streaming service may be the target income stream.
I suspect that is the real reason. Of course, this release schedule guarantees the film will be a theatrical flop in the US. It might have made some money if it had been more broadly released to theaters that regularly screen documentaries.

Quote:
Movies are made to make money. Theatres exist to make money. It is that simple.
And they lost mine (and that of a number of other people Iíve talked to). My city is an indie/art house Mecca; the film would have done well here had people been offered a reasonable chance to actually see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2018, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
17,187 posts, read 52,420,479 times
Reputation: 28467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That is true for any documentary. They are never blockbusters.

True, but some that hit hot subjects, like the early M. Moore films, draw a more extended audience.

It could have been released in early November, before the start of the holiday season (and closer to the actual end of the war).

My impression is that it wasn't completely polished at that point and ready for release. Making movies is complex, and just because a film is "in the (shipping) can," that doesn't mean the lawyers have every legal question answered and every release in hand.


So why not an evening showing on Thursday as well as Monday?

You would have to ask the booker/buyer. Everyone involved has the potential to be quirky or fussy, and a long term relationship is going to trump a flash-in-the-pan every time.


I suspect that is the real reason. Of course, this release schedule guarantees the film will be a theatrical flop in the US. It might have made some money if it had been more broadly released to theaters that regularly screen documentaries.

Possibly. Alternatively, being able to quote sales of $100,000 for two days may do just as well as $250,000 for a seven day run -or- there might have been a huge flat rate quote by the theatre or circuit to avoid losing an auditorium for a week during peak time.


And they lost mine (and that of a number of other people Iíve talked to). My city is an indie/art house Mecca; the film would have done well here had people been offered a reasonable chance to actually see it.
Perhaps. The statement you made is one commonly made by an individual enamored with a movie. I can't count the times someone came up to me and asked for old-fashion westerns, or a preacher plugged a "values" movie without regard to the realities of exhibition. In a way, this type of booking is in keeping with the recent pop-up store phenom. Make it limited time, hit social media, and it becomes a crowded event at low cost. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top