U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 02:15 PM

209 posts, read 74,858 times

Advertisements

Why didn't the British stop the US? Is that a joke? Who would possibly think that the British leadership would have any moral objection to it? The British made mass bombing of civilians fashionable....

Old 12-20-2018, 02:16 PM

10,541 posts, read 10,557,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am pretty sure he is purposely nonsensical as a joke to fit the nonsensical premise of the OP.

Hmmm, I was looking forward to the OP's response, I am sure this thread didn't turn out like he expected. Looks like he will not be joining us again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry, if I have to explain this, you will not be able to understand it anyway. Just move on to the next post and ignore. This is too complicated for someone who needs an explanation to be able to understand the explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Spoof, mensa, spoof.
Go back and check. There is no indication of sarcasm. Not a hint.

Poe's law states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme view so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law

Poe is proven once again.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM

18,682 posts, read 10,244,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Poe's law states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme view so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the parodied views.

See my post #32

Old 12-20-2018, 02:42 PM

11,475 posts, read 17,017,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That issue is like the made-up issue of Obama ordering more drone attacks than Bush.

The thing is, attack drones came into their own under Obama. If given the tool to attack the enemy without exposing Americans to enemy defenses, what president would not use it? What president could justify not using it?
Exactly.

War is Hell. The best strategy was to end the damn thing as quickly as possible.

Which the A-bomb did.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:30 PM

30,513 posts, read 15,642,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's astounding how little the average young person knows about Japanese war atrocities in WW ll. It really does need to be taught in History class, right alongside the Holocaust. The Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere was a nightmare for any non-Japanese person unlucky enough to be trapped in it.
Interestingly, there was a bunch of people who welcomed the Japanese as allies in throwing off colonial rule.

Most quickly realized that they were exchanging one set of rulers for a new and much worse one, but there were still those who felt that they could use the Japanese to get rid of the British, then expel the Japanese.

The Indian National Army fought quite effectively along the Japanese in Burma - not just guerrilla warfare, but set-piece actions on brigade level. Their idea was to take control of India from the weakened British, and hope that the Japanese would accept that state of affairs. Probably quite naive, but from their point of view, worth the attempt.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 12-20-2018 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 03:38 PM

30,513 posts, read 15,642,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Japanese Imperial Army troops and their leaders had none of these qualms. Japan killed millions, just as many as Germany, but with bullets and bayonets and swords in the most sickening and personal way possible. Murder was indiscriminate, woman and children, rape either before or after killing them. Basically, you had armies full of sick-bastard Ted Bundy's marching across Asia.
Didn't help that the Imperial Army was issuing methamphetamine as part of the combat rations. Methheads tend to be unreasonable people.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:14 PM

25,237 posts, read 60,535,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

See? Now this is funny. You are getting it!

Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 3,351,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solooriginal View Post
So, I read on Quora that a lot of British people are angry with America for nuking Japan during WW2. They consider it a war crime and a crime against humanity but how come the British didn't stop America from nuking it? Why didn't the British threaten to declared war on America, raided the compound the nukes were being made and then saved Japan?
Are you kidding? The Brits would have nuked Germany if they had the chance. In fact they did the next best thing with the firebombing of Dresden.

I think you are being misled about what the Brits thought in 1945. People in 2018 think they are superior to everyone who lived in 1945.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:57 PM

8,175 posts, read 5,636,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solooriginal View Post
So, I read on Quora that a lot of British people are angry with America for nuking Japan during WW2. They consider it a war crime and a crime against humanity but how come the British didn't stop America from nuking it? Why didn't the British threaten to declared war on America, raided the compound the nukes were being made and then saved Japan?

This is the same with Vietnam and Iraq.....

Were you angry with those? Yes.
Were you opposed to those? Yes, definitely.
Then why didn't you stop it? ....
Ridiculous if post is real!

Smells like a troll to me

Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM

8,175 posts, read 5,636,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It was a Liberal (FDR) who authorized the Manhattan Project and another Liberal (Harry S. Truman) who ordered the A-bomb attacks.

Now, I have no doubt Ike or Reagan would have done the same. As would a Carter, Clinton, and even an Obama.
Not sure about obuma....He would try to talk them to death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.