Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
How did this conversation get past two responses?
Well, the original poster lasted to only three posts before having the "not a member" label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry, if I have to explain this, you will not be able to understand it anyway. Just move on to the next post and ignore. This is too complicated for someone who needs an explanation to be able to understand the explanation.
Duuuuuddddeee! You know better than to back 'sass the guys with the bold member names.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If I were a civilian in World War II and had a choice between being occupied by a Japanese infantry division and a Waffen SS Division, I'm would have chosen the latter without hesitation.

As an American, so would I. It's not often recalled, but if you were fortunate enough to not fall into the ranks of the "subhumans" (Jews, Poles, Slavs, etc.), the Nazis would generally treat you in accordance with the rules of war. But the Imperial Japanese Army was wantonly brutal to anyone and everyone unlucky enough to fall into their clutches.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
As an American, so would I. It's not often recalled, but if you were fortunate enough to not fall into the ranks of the "subhumans" (Jews, Poles, Slavs, etc.), the Nazis would generally treat you in accordance with the rules of war. But the Imperial Japanese Army was wantonly brutal to anyone and everyone unlucky enough to fall into their clutches.
That is a distinctive difference. Germany actually treated western allied POW's relatively well. The holocaust was infamous not only for the death count but for institutionalizing murder - creating murder factories. One of the reasons is Germany noted the demoralizing effect of having it's infantry engaging in personal acts of murder. That and efficiency of course.

Japanese Imperial Army troops and their leaders had none of these qualms. Japan killed millions, just as many as Germany, but with bullets and bayonets and swords in the most sickening and personal way possible. Murder was indiscriminate, woman and children, rape either before or after killing them. Basically, you had armies full of sick-bastard Ted Bundy's marching across Asia.

Atom bomb? I we had needed to turn the entire homeland of Japan to a sheet of glass to end that war I would have no qualms today.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Looks like he will not be joining us again.
At least not until he or she re-registers under a new board name.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Nah, you forgot option #3: blockade their ports and starve them to death. By 1945 Japan was teetering on the brink of widespread famine. Fewer Allied casualties that way, but slower, and a hell of a lot rougher on the civilian population.

What the OP doesn't grasp is that there was no way the Pacific war was ever going to end that wasn't nasty, brutal, and responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. It was an ugly end to an ugly war. At least the nuclear bombs killed fewer people than the other two options (a blockade or a land invasion) would have done.
OP may or may not be a real person, never mind perhaps had some drinks.

But yes, I'd have just blockaded the Japanese islands and kept bombing and firebombing and otherwise making life miserable or impossible. No need to sacrifice one million men and much of the Japanese population for an invasion.

Blockade. Bomb. Burn. They shouldn't have started stuff.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Let's see. You said Britain was allied with Japan, had been part of the axis powers, had at one time held an allegiance to Germany, and has suicide attacked American shipping.

Where did you come up with this bizarre nonsense?
Spoof, mensa, spoof.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:44 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
While I admire European liberals for how they keep their corporations under control, they don't know squat about the Japanese will to keep fighting and their willingness to die en masse for their god emperor. This was our impression of them anyway.

To liberals around the world who have only a superficial knowledge of history, and attempt to rewrite it anyway, I say this. The two atom bombs killed about two or three hundred thousand Japanese, but also saved millions of Japanese. The incendiaries that we were dropping on Japan were creating fire hurricanes meaning that people and fuel were sucked into the fire storms. While they said that they were willing to die for the emperor, the bombs made that grim prospect more of a grimmer reality.

It is widely believed that we Americans are still giving out the purple hearts manufactured for the invasion of Kyushu.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:44 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
While I admire European liberals for how they keep their corporations under control, they don't know squat about the Japanese will to keep fighting and their willingness to die en masse for their god emperor. This was our impression of them anyway.

To liberals around the world who have only a superficial knowledge of history, and attempt to rewrite it anyway, I say this. The two atom bombs killed about two or three hundred thousand Japanese, but also saved millions of Japanese. The incendiaries that we were dropping on Japan were creating fire hurricanes meaning that people and fuel were sucked into the fire storms. While they said that they were willing to die for the emperor, the bombs made that grim prospect more of a grimmer reality.

It is widely believed that we Americans are still giving out the purple hearts manufactured for the invasion of
Kyushu.
I thought this was the history forum. Why are you trying to work some present day political rant about liberals into this discussion.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:06 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post

It is widely believed that we Americans are still giving out the purple hearts manufactured for the invasion of Kyushu.

It was a Liberal (FDR) who authorized the Manhattan Project and another Liberal (Harry S. Truman) who ordered the A-bomb attacks.

Now, I have no doubt Ike or Reagan would have done the same. As would a Carter, Clinton, and even an Obama.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It was a Liberal (FDR) who authorized the Manhattan Project and another Liberal (Harry S. Truman) who ordered the A-bomb attacks.

Now, I have no doubt Ike or Reagan would have done the same. As would a Carter, Clinton, and even an Obama.
That issue is like the made-up issue of Obama ordering more drone attacks than Bush.

The thing is, attack drones came into their own under Obama. If given the tool to attack the enemy without exposing Americans to enemy defenses, what president would not use it? What president could justify not using it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History