U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

8,068 posts, read 5,592,878 times

Advertisements

While in Germany years ago, I was hiking through the woods near Hadamar and came upon a lone grave for a Nazi SS officer complete with the death's head and swastika. It was way off the path and was covered with graffiti.

I left my remembrance of visiting the grave. I crapped on the grave and sprayed it with pee.

I can't find my pictures, but if I do I'll post it

I'm sure that the "officer" is rotting in a special place in Hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

8,068 posts, read 5,592,878 times
Serious question for the OP

Do you know why the crosses were spread out in 3s?

As for my previous post and this question.

The wehrmacht and foot soldiers were fighting for their country. Not like the brutal SS who were responsible for the murders of innocent Jews and other innocent civilians.

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM

5,022 posts, read 2,461,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Serious question for the OP

Do you know why the crosses were spread out in 3s?

As for my previous post and this question.

The wehrmacht and foot soldiers were fighting for their country. Not like the brutal SS who were responsible for the murders of innocent Jews and other innocent civilians.

Yes, I spoke with my wife's grandpa in Lithuania. He told me that prior to the war that Russia treated them far worst than when the Germans came through. He actually showed me where the wehrmact came through their farm when he was a boy. He said that they actually had freedom when Germany was there. I believe this because Klaipeda (memel) was party of Germany prior to WWI . Theres actually Germans living there today. As for the SS. Yes , I agree with you. They were murderers and political soldiers that shouldn't be respected. Their crimes should not be forgotten.

I found this site that details the crosses. We visited another German cemetary in Šiauliai, Lithuania and they also contained these rows of crosses. I have footage from that cemetery also , but I have to edit it. The cemetery is smack dab in the middle of the city and we had to park several blocks away to get to it.

Langemark German Military Cemetery, Ypres Salient, Belgium

Basalt-lava Crosses
Several groups of three basalt-lava crosses were placed in the grounds as an architectural feature. The three crosses reflect the motif of the group of different sized crosses used by the VDK since the 1920s. The motif itself comprised five crosses.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

8,164 posts, read 8,203,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What do you mean, "at the MAK (now Cat)"?? Just curious. Also, do you know what the German inscription is that is written on the flak tower wall? I wonder how many of these flak towers remain around Berlin and what they are used for, if anything.
MaK --- Started as Deutsche Werke Kiel AG, went through a number of changes after the war the engine division was purchased by Caterpillar in the late '90s

https://www.makmed.fr/en/about-us/brandhistory/

https://www.caterpillar.com/en/company/brands/mak.html

There were several inscriptions I noted. Rauchen Verboten= no smoking. The one in the photo was instruction on operating the air exchange system during a raid.. A tower this size probably mounted a flak 30/38 2 cm gun.

I should mention that there were two towers at the MAK plant but after the inordinate amount of time and labor to take one out they decided to leave this one.

Old Today, 03:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,802,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What do you mean, "at the MAK (now Cat)"?? Just curious. Also, do you know what the German inscription is that is written on the flak tower wall? I wonder how many of these flak towers remain around Berlin and what they are used for, if anything.
It is rather old language and difficult to translate literally but it means something like: "During imminent air raids opening the hatches and staying in the corridors is strictly forbidden".

I plan on visiting the Kehlsteinhaus(Eagle's nest) when I am in the area.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

5,022 posts, read 2,461,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I plan on visiting the Kehlsteinhaus(Eagle's nest) when I am in the area.

I was at the Eagles Nest in 2016 . You need to drive down from Munich towards berchtesgaden. Make sure you go in the Summer only. They close it most of the year because you have to take a one way bus up the mountain and snow prevents passage most of the months. Make sure you stop at the documentation center when you are there. They have a underground bunker system that pretty cool . It has all the private bunkers of the head nazi staff......

Nuremberg was really cool also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or