U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 09:26 AM

15,438 posts, read 7,876,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Many of the self emancipated Blacks remained in the South.

There were many free black people (FPOC) already in the south who stayed (I have ancestry in VA and NC as I stated and I still have relatives in those states, also SC who are descended of free people of color); however, if they were "self emancipated" that typically means they were runaways. They did not stay in the south usually when they ran away. Those who were FPOC usually had a long ancestry of being freed by the time the Civil War began. My own families from VA and NC were free in the 1700s. I've never found anything showing that any of them, save the Viney/Vina family of VA who were held as "servants" and they sued, had ever been enslaved. Even the Viney/Vina family were also freed in the early 1800s via the courts due to them being "descended of an Indian woman." They had white friend/associates who knew their ancestors, which prove their freedom in the courts. Many slaves claimed to have been free due to being "descended of an Indian" or a white woman. Many of them were freed when this occurred and even most of them left the southern state. I have a cousin who is related to a woman who sued the State of Kentucky over 20 years to prove that she was free. She stated she was descended of an Indian woman and a white man and had been sold from the state of Virginia into slavery without her mother's knowledge. She was eventually freed when she was in her 60s and her family left Kentucky and moved to Ohio. This was typical of these sorts of stories but many of them also stayed where they lived as well.

Also, it was not typical that those in the deep south would run away successfully. Most of those in the deep south were recaptured and maimed or killed if they continued to runaway.

I focus a huge amount of historical research on specific states and focused a few years ago the State of Georgia in researching my husband's family who were from south Georgia. I reviewed over 100 instances of claims made by white men who were attempting to be paid for injuries they sustained in helping to recapture slaves in Georgia who had run away. In nearly every incident, they had killed the black slave who they were going after. This is a reason why I don't believe all the "statistics" that people share today about the amount of slaves who either escaped or attempting to escape. It was not in the best interest of southern states to show how many slaves were trying to escape as it went against the "happy slave" narrative they were trying to push in media.

Most slaves who escaped were from "border" states like KY, TN, WV, VA, MD, NJ, DE, etc. When they were successful in escaping, they often set up homes in PA, OH, MI, IN, NY, etc or moved to Canada (especially after 1851 when the Fugitive Slave Law update went into effect).

During the Civil War it was estimated that 500k-1 million slaves escaped from the south.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM

1,034 posts, read 629,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There were many free black people (FPOC) already in the south who stayed (I have ancestry in VA and NC as I stated and I still have relatives in those states, also SC who are descended of free people of color); however, if they were "self emancipated" that typically means they were runaways. They did not stay in the south usually when they ran away. Those who were FPOC usually had a long ancestry of being freed by the time the Civil War began. My own families from VA and NC were free in the 1700s. I've never found anything showing that any of them, save the Viney/Vina family of VA who were held as "servants" and they sued, had ever been enslaved. Even the Viney/Vina family were also freed in the early 1800s via the courts due to them being "descended of an Indian woman." They had white friend/associates who knew their ancestors, which prove their freedom in the courts. Many slaves claimed to have been free due to being "descended of an Indian" or a white woman. Many of them were freed when this occurred and even most of them left the southern state. I have a cousin who is related to a woman who sued the State of Kentucky over 20 years to prove that she was free. She stated she was descended of an Indian woman and a white man and had been sold from the state of Virginia into slavery without her mother's knowledge. She was eventually freed when she was in her 60s and her family left Kentucky and moved to Ohio. This was typical of these sorts of stories but many of them also stayed where they lived as well.

Also, it was not typical that those in the deep south would run away successfully. Most of those in the deep south were recaptured and maimed or killed if they continued to runaway.

I focus a huge amount of historical research on specific states and focused a few years ago the State of Georgia in researching my husband's family who were from south Georgia. I reviewed over 100 instances of claims made by white men who were attempting to be paid for injuries they sustained in helping to recapture slaves in Georgia who had run away. In nearly every incident, they had killed the black slave who they were going after. This is a reason why I don't believe all the "statistics" that people share today about the amount of slaves who either escaped or attempting to escape. It was not in the best interest of southern states to show how many slaves were trying to escape as it went against the "happy slave" narrative they were trying to push in media.

Most slaves who escaped were from "border" states like KY, TN, WV, VA, MD, NJ, DE, etc. When they were successful in escaping, they often set up homes in PA, OH, MI, IN, NY, etc or moved to Canada (especially after 1851 when the Fugitive Slave Law update went into effect).

During the Civil War it was estimated that 500k-1 million slaves escaped from the south.
As a Black Mississippian , i find your family history thoroughly interesting. According to the census that was kept at the time, many freed Blacks remained in the South along with self emancipated Blacks. In Mississippi, majority of the free population resided in the southwest region, primary in Natchez & Vicksburg. In many instances what you have spoken upon those who fled the South to the Northern states , Canada, & Mexico (wanted to add that) is true. Yet, the free population have plurality or majority have always been in the South and also Maroon communities formed in my region as well.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History