U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:06 PM

779 posts, read 467,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Are you trolling us by suggesting that a contemporary TV series, i.e. an entertainment product with commercial profit motive, would be reflective of careful scholarly study of history?

Even then, history is a concept, a vision thing, a pliable propaganda tool in the hand of an author, like so many statistics and statisticians.

The real question is, what value does it have to you?

Do you want the Roman salute, as employed in Europe in the 1920-1940s period, to have a basis in ancient Roman history?

Or maybe not?

Did those people in Europe during that period want it to? And for what purpose?

Either way, what value is it to you?
Whether the gesture is historically accurate or not is of no value to me whatsoever, except to satisfy my curiosity. I still believe that an objective truth exists, and that it is worth asking whether certain things are correct or not, even if there is no political ramification regardless of the answer.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or