Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times

Advertisements

I started to watch the Great civilizations of Africa, and I am very dispointed and and don't know if I will be watching the rest of the episodes. I have noticed a few outright lies, but the most disappointing is that Gates claimed the the Nubians defeated the Romans, starting at about 59 mintues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNtne30ni8

Now, here is the real story according to Strabo, staring at 137. Yes, it is a Roman source, but it is the source that we have and base our knowledge on.

LacusCurtius ? Strabo's Geography ? Book*XVII Chapter*1 (§§*25?54)

The Candace indeed sacked Roman garrisons in Thebes, Syene, The Elephantine, and Philae. What Gates did not tell you is that the main Roman army was fighting in Arabia, three of those garrisons were virutally undefended, and Syene was staffed with 3 cohorts, or less than 1500 Roman soldiers.

In retaliation, Governor Petronius assembled two legions and 800 cavalry, and with less than ten-thousand men, routed the Nubian army of 30,000, siezed the city of Plselchis, and burned Nabata (the second most important city in the kingdom). Loaded with booty and slaves, he turned around and left.

Next, the Candace tried to sack Premnis, but Petronius marched on her and thwarted her, ordering her to negotiate with Ceasar in Samnos. At this negotiation, Ceasar was generous and gave her what she asked for. Until the day he died Augustus considered this a splendid litle campaign and had it inscribed on his tomb as a great victory.

"Amanirenas, the victorious African Queen!"

Well, not so much. I am very disapointed in Henry Louis Gates, who must have known better. This should be truly embarrassing to the man. Not one mention of the stunning Nubian reversals. Not one. His silence on the matter shows you that he knew that he was lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History