U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 PM

3,867 posts, read 1,389,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
When the greatest generation entered the American scene in the 1930s every American city was a great, safe, clean place to live. By the time the so called 'greatest generation' started to retire in the mid 1980s every American city was a dirty, crime ridden dump. That speaks for itself. Go to youtube and look at 'Remembering Chicago' and see for yourself. Since I once lived in Chicago I bought the tapes of the interviews of the people that lived during the 1930s and early 40s. One women interviewed said that on a hot summer night(there was no air conditioning back then) she would walk down to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the part without one thought that someone was going to do her harm. And a person could do that in any park in the entire city. Fast forward to today and you know what I mean. So if the 'greatest generation' was so great then why didn't they keep those peaceful times instead of overseeing the fall of our great cities.
So are you saying there were no bad people back then?

Where did all of the bad people come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,970,640 times
I do think "Greatest" is a good name for the generation that remembers growing up in the good years of the 1920's, and having it all taken away by the great depression and WW2. They went thru more suffering and sacrifice than any other generation to date. When the chips were down, they didn't lose their heads and circum to mass violence, they resisted the ways of communism and did not rebel or push for a revolution. They preserved the constitution and American way of life. They fought in WW2 and protected Western Europe afterwards.

They oversaw great technological advances during WW2 and gave us jet aircraft, computers, space travel, radar, the transistor, television with clean wholesome programming, and upheld the Hays code in the movies. They were very family oriented and the rich and the poor often lived together in the same neighborhoods. They had a good sense of right and wrong, their experience from the great depression made them less greedy and selfish than the generations to follow. They were not self absorbed, spoiled or whiny. Crime rates were low, criminals were locked up or executed. The police did not tolerate vagrancy and kept the streets safe for women and children to go out at night without fear.

Those born between 1910 and 1925 are the greatest generation, IMO, they saw it all, they did it all, it was a roller coaster ride for them, and they never faltered.

Last edited by mofford; 01-11-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM

93 posts, read 22,139 times
One of the downsides of the 'greatest generation' is that many of its members practiced and perpetuated bigotry and prejudice. In the 1950s, the decade in which this generation started to assume power in US society, Jim Crow laws were still in effect in many southern states. De facto segregation of the races was common in the other sections of this country.

Women were second class citizens in many ways. Married woman weren't able to have a credit card in their own name, even if they were gainfully employed. Many colleges and universities restricted the number of women that they would enroll. Also, there was a practice in some schools to have a quota on Jewish students.

Needless to say, at this time, gay people weren't on anyone's radar screen. It wasn't until the 1960s, that Illinois became the first state to decriminalize gay sex between 2 consenting adults.

Blatant materialism was also a value of some in this generation. Leaving the city and the old neighborhood for the suburbs. Newer and bigger and better was a mindset of many adults at that time. They would play status musical chairs by moving to a new and larger home in a more prestigious suburb as their incomes rose.

The 'greatest generation,' which suffered through the Great Depression and sacrificed during WWII, lived in a post war America that was conformist, prosperity driven, and communism obsessed.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 626,595 times
They dealt with the depression first, as they entered their 20s, then ww2 in the 1940s and brought us the economic boom that lasted 30 years. They were actually a very democratic and pro government generation in the 30s and 40s. After the war ended society started to shift back Republican and started Mccarthyism. Society became more conformist as a result to avoid being labeled a commie. In the 1960s, you had the boomer generation taking over the scene and changing society forever. The Greatest held leadership for a long time, into the 1990s, but by 9/11 they were pretty much gone out of the public sphere. Nowadays in 2019, there are still some around, not too many. It's pretty cool to meet a WW2 veteran.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:24 PM

25,519 posts, read 60,960,338 times
They were the greatest generation, not the perfect generation. Of course they had flaws. They were not Gods. However no generation before or since has accomplished as much in America, maybe anywhere.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:10 AM

18,837 posts, read 10,399,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They were the greatest generation, not the perfect generation. Of course they had flaws. They were not Gods. However no generation before or since has accomplished as much in America, maybe anywhere.
Maybe the Revolutionary Generation, but we don't actually know them.

And I think your point is well made, and shows the error in thinking of the OP and so many other people today who seem to be engaged in a modern game of disassembling everything of the past that people have thought laudable.

No, they're not perfect, and combing through their histories to find flaws doesn't diminish their achievements.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM

365 posts, read 96,213 times
The Greatest Generation is referred to as so because of the intense challenges they faced in their young lives. Being teenagers during the Great Depression, then becoming young adults and going to war. Many 16 and 17 year olds lied about their ages at recruiting stations in 1941 and 1942 to join the fight. Those on the homefront did their part as well. Women worked in the factories. People volunteered as air raid wardens. Everything from food to gasoline to rubber was rationed. I remember my grandmother who is in her upper 80s now telling me about how they had 8pm curfews and not being able to buy milk and bread on certain days of the week during the war. My grandfather on my father's side also told stories of when he lived on a farm as a kid and there were times then where it wasn't uncommon for people to go a day or two without a meal if the crop that was in season was poor. Like an earlier post mentioned, The Greatest Generation had their flaws, but overall they went through hell on earth for much of their early lives. (The Great Depression, Dust Bowl, World War II) That makes me appreciate my grandparents' generation, and helps me understand why my grandmother never let any food go to waste or why my grandfather didn't trust putting his money in banks.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 PM

365 posts, read 96,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
They dealt with the depression first, as they entered their 20s, then ww2 in the 1940s and brought us the economic boom that lasted 30 years. They were actually a very democratic and pro government generation in the 30s and 40s. After the war ended society started to shift back Republican and started Mccarthyism. Society became more conformist as a result to avoid being labeled a commie. In the 1960s, you had the boomer generation taking over the scene and changing society forever. The Greatest held leadership for a long time, into the 1990s, but by 9/11 they were pretty much gone out of the public sphere. Nowadays in 2019, there are still some around, not too many. It's pretty cool to meet a WW2 veteran.

Very true. Interesting to think the people of The Greatest Generation could've come in contact with aging Civil War Veterans in their youth. (I think the last surviving Civil War Veteran passed around 1956 or 57). Even when I was born there were still people living who grew up during the Victorian Era, The Greatest Generation members then were in their 50s, and the leading edge Baby Boomers were just crossing 30. Makes you realize how fast time goes by.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 PM

2,688 posts, read 1,251,317 times
The GREATEST Generation created and lived thru AMERICA'S CENTURY.... the 20th century. So much change, and advancement they hoped and made a reality. From ....
- growing up thru the Great Depression
- thru WW2 and their serving
- the golden age of Hollywood all 3-decades
- the 50s raising children
- their teens gave us the 60s turmoil and change from Vietnam rebellion
- the great suburban migration

Issues still thru every era of change they lived thru.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:03 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,660,613 times
The "greatest generation" came home from WW2 and bought homes in suburbia. They left the cities to the riff-raff who did what riff raff does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or