Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:22 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,292 times

Advertisements

When the greatest generation entered the American scene in the 1930s every American city was a great, safe, clean place to live. By the time the so called 'greatest generation' started to retire in the mid 1980s every American city was a dirty, crime ridden dump. That speaks for itself. Go to youtube and look at 'Remembering Chicago' and see for yourself. Since I once lived in Chicago I bought the tapes of the interviews of the people that lived during the 1930s and early 40s. One women interviewed said that on a hot summer night(there was no air conditioning back then) she would walk down to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the part without one thought that someone was going to do her harm. And a person could do that in any park in the entire city. Fast forward to today and you know what I mean. So if the 'greatest generation' was so great then why didn't they keep those peaceful times instead of overseeing the fall of our great cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
They were replaced by idiots?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
The greatest generation title gets bestowed as a consequence of that generation responding positively to the crisis of WW II. They are the generation who got the "good war", one which was portrayed as good vs evil.

I suspect that any American generation, faced with those same circumstances, would have responded in the same manner. Further, it wasn't really good vs evil, it was regular evil vs extreme evil.

They did indeed respond well, so they should be credited for that....and they are. "Greatest generation" represents a bit of hyperbole which requires us to overlook their flaws.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
When the greatest generation entered the American scene in the 1930s every American city was a great, safe, clean place to live. By the time the so called 'greatest generation' started to retire in the mid 1980s every American city was a dirty, crime ridden dump. That speaks for itself. Go to youtube and look at 'Remembering Chicago' and see for yourself. Since I once lived in Chicago I bought the tapes of the interviews of the people that lived during the 1930s and early 40s. One women interviewed said that on a hot summer night(there was no air conditioning back then) she would walk down to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the part without one thought that someone was going to do her harm. And a person could do that in any park in the entire city. Fast forward to today and you know what I mean. So if the 'greatest generation' was so great then why didn't they keep those peaceful times instead of overseeing the fall of our great cities.
No, the cities weren't safe for women to walk around at night, they just didn't focus completely on not being victims of crime the way we do.

Rapes were something to be ashamed of, and weren't talked about when they happened, so the reputation of the woman wouldn't be ruined forever. Many young women were forced to marry their rapist if they got pregnant.

And they most certainly weren't clean!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:14 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
When the greatest generation entered the American scene in the 1930s every American city was a great, safe, clean place to live.
I don't recognize your vision of America in the 1930s.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Go to youtube and look at 'Remembering Chicago' and see for yourself. Since I once lived in Chicago I bought the tapes of the interviews of the people that lived during the 1930s and early 40s. One women interviewed said that on a hot summer night(there was no air conditioning back then) she would walk down to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the part without one thought that someone was going to do her harm. And a person could do that in any park in the entire city. .

Yup...no crime in Chicago in the 30s........

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_in_the_1930s

Old 01-06-2019, 02:54 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
I had the privilege of being raised by two World War II vets. I know my father always had trouble with that "Greatest Generation" label before he died back in 2009. He did make several comments though late in his life that got my attention. He looked back on his service in the Navy which began at age 17 and he marveled at the amount of responsibility that he and so many young people were given. He wondered how they were able to do the things that were assigned them. Yet, most did. Another comment he made several times was that young people are picked to serve in the military because they lack fear (and often good judgment) and will do just about anything you order them to do.

There were some fundamental differences in life when my father grew up as a poor child in a large family in Idaho. First, was the lack of awareness of life outside of where they lived. Because of this there was a lack of resentment and envy of others (in most cases). Second, you could trust others because everyone knew who you were. You couldn't get away with anything. Third, children were parented in a very authoritarian way (which my dad disliked). You did what your father said to do OR ELSE. Fourth, history classes in school painted a rose-colored view of America. Fifth, children were taught not to question authority.

Because of all of this, young people who were drafted or who volunteered for the armed services could be counted on to follow orders and undertake about any hazardous thing.

I don't think this generation was unique. I think if the circumstances called for it, the people in this country today would find a way to prevail over their enemies as well. It would be done differently and undoubtedly with imaginative use of high technology. I do retain the view that Americans are "can do" people. When our backs are to the wall, we can solve just about any problem.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:55 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
It's just an expression.

And to play off what Grandstander said, it is in part simply a reflection of their times. It is no coincidence that the three Presidents almost universally considered the greatest by historians (Washington, Lincoln, FDR) held office during the three most perilous eras in American history (the founding of the nascent nation, the Civil War, the Great Depression/World War II). Had any of them been elected in, say, 1820 or 1920 they'd be mostly forgotten now no matter how effectively they managed to deal with the comparatively minor issues of their administrations.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It's just an expression.

And to play off what Grandstander said, it is in part simply a reflection of their times. It is no coincidence that the three Presidents almost universally considered the greatest by historians (Washington, Lincoln, FDR) held office during the three most perilous eras in American history (the founding of the nascent nation, the Civil War, the Great Depression/World War II). Had any of them been elected in, say, 1820 or 1920 they'd be mostly forgotten now no matter how effectively they managed to deal with the comparatively minor issues of their administrations.
Sorry that I am off topic here, but I fervently wish that we could have candidates of this caliber again plus Theodore Roosevelt. Not that they didn’t have their faults, but we surely need a strong moral capable leader today more than ever. And, on topic, yes, I hope that any other generation would have responded the same.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default how can the 'greatest generation' be known as the greatest

Quote:
I question whether they were the Greatest Generation either, but for different reasons then what you describe.

It is true that they were the young people who fought the Nazis and Imperial Japan. But it took the Japanese to stupidly attack Pearl Harbor for the USA to get involved. Until then, the "Greatest Generation" as well as other Americans were more concerned about who was going to win the World Series then stopping Hitler armies rampaging across Europe. Sure they helped stop Hitler but only because Hitler stupidly attacked them first.

But even more, how was the Greatest Generation any greater then the generation that fought in the American Revolution or the Civil War?? Would the Greatest Generation ever take the chances and the voyage into the unknow that the American colonists did? Would they have been able to sustain the incredible casualties that the Union Army took during the Civil War? I am not so sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History