U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 08:00 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,450,988 times

Advertisements

The sons of Japheth: Gomer, and Magog, and Madai...

Gomer = Germanic tribes
Magog = India
Madai = Medes and Persians

The Persian empire evolved into the Ottoman empire

WWI was Germany and the Ottoman empire against virtually everyone else

I wonder how deep and far back this connection between Germanic tribes and the Medes and Persians extends?

https://math.wikia.com/wiki/Intermed...matics/Fascism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 09:07 AM

74,635 posts, read 66,292,034 times
Sorry, I couldn't get past the "fascism is....anti-conservative" part of it. OP, I hope you're not getting your notions about history from video games. Fascist Germany was very conservative.

But the first question that came to mind, in reading your OP, is: where did you get the idea that the Persian Empire morphed into the Ottoman? If you can back that up, I'd like to read about it. The Persians were/are Indo-Iranians, related to Indo-Europeans. The Ottomans were Turks. Those are two completely different peoples. If' I'm missing something in that picture, please fill me in on what I'm missing.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,450,988 times
Empires dont fall. They move

Egypt = Tyre = Spain
Greece = Russia
Rome = Britain = America

Fascism is anti-everything. But fascism is a favorite tool of the rich who are indeed far right. It is the far right conservatives that are pulling the strings of virtually everything including fascism

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 AM

6,237 posts, read 10,313,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, I couldn't get past the "fascism is.... ...." part of it.
I couldn't either, the whole framework of the OP's question is simply disgusting, not to mention misguided.

On the other hand, there might be a scholarly historical discussion worth having about ancient common origins between Iranians (Medes, Persians, Parthians) and Germanic tribes. For example, they are both from the Indo-European language family, albeit different trunks, and may have a common ancestral home in the northern Caspian Sea area or thereabouts.

I believe that you have extensive knowledge of research on some of those or related questions.

Last edited by bale002; 01-12-2019 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM

74,635 posts, read 66,292,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I couldn't either, the whole framework of the OP's question is simply disgusting, not to mention misguided.

On the other hand, there might be a scholarly historical discussion worth having about ancient common origins between Iranians (Medes, Persians, Parthians) and Germanic tribes. For example, they are both from the Indo-European language family, albeit different trunks, and may have a common ancestral home in the northern Caspian Sea area or thereabouts.

I believe that you have extensive knowledge of research on some of those or related questions.
Yes. that's where I'd be interested in going with the discussion, but the OP has garbled it, by somehow inserting the Ottomans into it.

OP, do you realize these games are just entertainment; they're not trying to be historically accurate? You shouldn't take their narratives as a substitute for studying history. Learn to discern between fantaey/entertainment, and fact.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 PM

12,178 posts, read 7,795,662 times
"Germanic Tribes" covers an awful of of territory for a very long time.
My personal awareness start with the Cimbric tribe (Denmark) and their war against the Romans about 100BC. And without looking I can tell you that the Goths (Baltic States) became the Visigoths and the Ostragoths in about 400AD. The Visagoths went on to the Iberian Peninsula and established themselves until displaced my the Moors in 711. But their history continues as the Franks settled one place, the Angles and Saxons another, and so forth.

So it's not like the Germanic Tribes saw each other as brothers or even knew each other. I do remember the Goths were very open and if you wanted to join in and live with them in their search for a home (200 years) you were welcome to join.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 AM

6,237 posts, read 10,313,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

"Germanic Tribes" covers an awful of of territory for a very long time ...
... it's not like the Germanic Tribes saw each other as brothers or even knew each other ...
Often, too often, these appellations like "Germanic", "Indo-European", "Scythians", "proto-Sinaitic", "medieval" and a host of others, are retrojections of Europeans in their early global expansion/early industrialization period, conjured up for various reasons, they are still part of the contemporary education system in "western" countries, and many people - including scholars from around the world - still take them for granted as if they accurately describe a reality in the remote past.

So we still have to deal with them.

And so it might be fun to speculate on what connections "Germanic tribes" and "Medes" may have had, say, 10,000 years ago based on linguistic and archaeological evidence and studies, then air-spray the resulting mishmash with a thin sheen of "science", call it that and act all smug about it, pretending it doesn't stink.

Last edited by bale002; 01-13-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old Today, 12:26 PM

12,178 posts, read 7,795,662 times
Default Fighting naked

That is the strangest part of Celtic culture. The Dying Gault depicts a warrior doing just that. Gaults were but one tribe of Celtic culture.
It just boggles my mind. The Celts took on the Romans many times. starting with the Celt victory in Rome itself in 387 BCE. The Celts had no written record; theirs was an oral tradition, so it has all been lost ecept for what the archeologists can divine up from old bones. And just when they think they know something, something else comes along and they start over.
The latest "starting over" point that I am aware of is the dating of a Celtic skeleton found in Britain. Previously it was thought that Celtic culture might go back 2000 years BCE, but this warrior was buried 33,000 years ago! It is now identified as Celtic because of the weapons buried with him.

Start over.

It makes discussing the history of Germanic tribes a little tricky.
I am a fairly new student of this area, and have only recently realized that The Huns were not Germanic as the term is usually used. Facial reconstruction shows them to be decidedly Asian in appearance - as if they had come from Mongolia or somewhere in that area. No one knows where the Huns came from. They simply disappeared.
Can someone add to my knowledge?

Old Today, 07:42 PM

8,589 posts, read 4,702,290 times
celtic was not a race or a people but a way of life or culture, mainly in the northern france, spain south german area that migrated to scotland. they was a group of many counties that had a same way of life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or