Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yea the Indian Wars jumped to the front of my mind. What happened at places like Wounded Knee and Sand Creek made Little Big Horn and Fettermans blunder look tame in terms of human loss. I have a lot of heartburn with how GA Custer was immortalized after LBH. He was just as much of an arrogant idiot as Fetterman and should have been seen for who he really was. An arrogant, murdering, incompetent ass who got all his troopers killed. Just like Fetterman.
Go to the Smithsonian Magazine website, and read the long article on General Custer, from a couple of years ago...... Just after the end of the Civil War, after peace had been signed, Custer seized/ stole a champion prize horse from a Virginia man, took it home, and entered it in races at state fairs. Refused to give it back, even after the owner wrote to Army authorities with affidavits from others witnessing what Custer had done...... Custer later went to NY City for some weeks/ months as the guest of wealthy friends, leaving his wife behind in Michigan taking care of her mother. He wrote back letters to his wife, about how he would party and pick up street prostitutes in NY City but would only innocently talk to them....and how we wished he could retire there.....Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 12:25 PM

76 posts, read 56,505 times
The Spanish colonization of Mesoamerica... especially the burning of Mayan/Mesoamerican codices by the Spanish.

The only written histories in the Americas, prior to European colonization, was destroyed by the Spanish... since they believed Mesoamericans were devil worshipers. Who knows what knowledge was lost... only a handful of codices survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgCf3Q7qooQ

Old 01-20-2019, 12:31 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
The Spanish colonization of Mesoamerica... especially the burning of Mayan/Mesoamerican codices by the Spanish.

The only written histories in the Americas, prior to European colonization, was destroyed by the Spanish... since they believed Mesoamericans were devil worshipers. Who knows what knowledge was lost... only a handful of codices survived.
Agree. Any country that destroys another civilization’s people, history, culture including the recent desecration in the Middle East. A very sobering and chilling experience I had as a visitor to Mexico was walking up and down some very worn stone steps where young Mayans or similar had to carry heavy bags of ore in the dark for their Spanish mine owners. It was very humbling and I will never forget being thankful that it wasn’t me.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 PM

76 posts, read 56,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Agree. Any country that destroys another civilization’s people, history, culture including the recent desecration in the Middle East. A very sobering and chilling experience I had as a visitor to Mexico was walking up and down some very worn stone steps where young Mayans or similar had to carry heavy bags of ore in the dark for their Spanish mine owners. It was very humbling and I will never forget being thankful that it wasn’t me.

When I saw videos of ISIS destroying ancient artifacts in the middle east & causing chaos, they reminded me how the Spanish must've been and what they did to Mesoamerica.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The History forum... the only one on C-D where topics are voted off the island.
Well I have a tough time understanding the question. Is it one's least interesting event (the subject in time that you just have no interest reading up about) or the one, as some people are interpreting the question, the most tragic events in history? There is a dichotomy there - as the most tragic events, like WWII or the decimation of the American Indian, are often the most interesting.

OK I will take a crack at it - Ancient Chinese civilization, in all it's cultural impact and sophistication, bores me (even though I spent last weekend at Shanghai Museam, there is only so much I can take looking at Chinese vases and calligraphy).

Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgCf3Q7qooQ
The Spanish were known for the viciousness of their conquering in Central and South America. Does anybody know why the Spanish were inclined to such viciousness? We had our share of deplorable conduct - that usually paled in comparison to the modus operandi of the Spanish. The American Indian suffered a misfortune that makes almost all else pale in comparison. Yet they were probably "lucky" it wasn't the Spanish doing the subjugating.

Still, for reasons that I do not fully understand, I am sometimes intrigued by the Conquistadors and Vikings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW2KN7Tz89s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OtzJtp-EM

Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,009 times
None that I dislike. Remember:he who does not study the past are destined to repeat it. Or. . . . History doesn't repeat itself: it rhymes.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Ww2???
My pick, too, for least favorite.
Not so sure that's what the OP is really after.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:

Another group of Europeans, the Portuguese, did the same thing to the ancient Christians of southwest India who had priceless documents in Syriac, even Greek, and most likely some local languages.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:02 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Another group of Europeans, the Portuguese, did the same thing to the ancient Christians of southwest India who had priceless documents in Syriac, even Greek, and most likely some local languages.
That is tragic, too. I never knew about that. It is like the early government in the US that relocated the native Americans and made them forget their customs and language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History