U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 02:17 PM

42,693 posts, read 50,910,192 times

Advertisements

My wife is a member. I don't think she's ever gone to any of the meetings/events.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 AM

11,573 posts, read 17,096,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Before I ever did any family history I knew a wonderful lady in our town who was a DAR member. She was involved in bettering the town, a good person. She said the DAR was composed of a lot of nice people.

Then I found that I have a lot of Rev. War veterans on my mother's side. It's nice to know and it helps to make history come alive, but beyond that, I don't want to join the DAR. As I did more of the family history, I found more groups I could join! But the paperwork, the fees, and what do you get for it?

It does sound as though the DAR is making a positive contribution though. The other groups I qualify for just seem exclusive and snobby. Too bad my main impression of the DAR is that they wouldn't allow Marion Anderson to sing the national anthem because she was black. That really spoiled it for me when I heard about that. But apparently they've taken steps to amend for that hateful stance. So if you want to join, go ahead. If they are doing good things and they've gotten beyond their long ago racism, by all means. If you're a person who likes to get involved in doing meaningful, positive things, it sounds like a good group to join.
They formally apologized in person to Anderson's nephew, who I guess is her closest living relative. This was at least several years ago.

I also read an article some years ago about them getting a black member because she could prove the majority of her family lineage conformed to their requirements.

Other than that, I know little about them.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 AM

3,982 posts, read 3,438,347 times
A descendent of mine, a John Beck, once commanded Fort Pitt and fought for the colonists. He, or a part of his family, went back to England then I came along. So I assume I can be a member of this outfit wanting $100 a year.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,744,097 times
If your ancestor was a Revolutionary OFFICER, you can be in an even more exclusive group called "Society of the Cincinnati." (It has nothing to do with that city, by the way).

There is also a group called "Descendants of Royal Bastards" or "Society of Royal Bastards."

Old Today, 08:09 AM

9,723 posts, read 20,641,971 times
Thread in the genealogy section about DAR Attended my first DAR meeting

Old Today, 10:11 AM

3,982 posts, read 3,438,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
If your ancestor was a Revolutionary OFFICER, you can be in an even more exclusive group called "Society of the Cincinnati." (It has nothing to do with that city, by the way).

There is also a group called "Descendants of Royal Bastards" or "Society of Royal Bastards."
I really could not tell you if John Beck was a right bastard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History