U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:20 AM

9,558 posts, read 15,361,586 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here a member of DAR? I just got a call from a cousin informing me my lineage qualifies me for this. I don't truly know much about it, other than its Daughters of The American Revolution, and its $100 fee/year. Also you have to have a member sponsor you, which my cousin offered to do for me.

Is anyone here in it? Are there local chapters? What types of activities do they do? Sounds like it could be a nice thing to join, but then it could be just like church lady groups....guess I could always give it a try!

Anyone here a member or know anything about it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM

5,131 posts, read 1,700,935 times
Being the wrong gender for DAR, I have looked into SAR, but I think these organizations long ago lost much purpose or meaning. If you live in the area of the war where town gentry still make a thing of it, it might be helpful in a social or small political career, but in general... be happy with the distinguished spot in your lineage and move on.

My primary qualification is a captain who is still venerated by his town in New Jersey, and local papers run society and birth and death columns focused on his descendants.

I don't live in New Jersey, though.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM

30,999 posts, read 31,917,151 times
Years ago I looked into joining the DAR and even went to a couple of their meetings. But it seemed to be too much of effort to get all the documents proving the correct lineage which I wasn't sure I could do.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Years ago I looked into joining the DAR and even went to a couple of their meetings. But it seemed to be too much of effort to get all the documents proving the correct lineage which I wasn't sure I could do.
It's gotten much more stringent in the last few decades. Fortunately, I have several relatives in the last couple of generations who were fully approved members, and my application would need only to confirm my relationship with them.

But again, it's not clear what the value of such membership is. You can join as an associate or whatever and attend meetings and be on mailing lists, if you choose. Or you can be a superior being who can prove G'G'G'Greatpa was at Bunker Hill. Both get you the same... nothing much. Like Mensa and other "because I am" orgs.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:10 PM

5,164 posts, read 6,239,407 times
DAR sponsors history lectures, history contests, and supports educational activities. They work with the schools. They offer scholarships.

I think the social aspect of DAR members is internal to the group and like a coffee klatch.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Status: ""I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." -- Popeye" (set 19 days ago)

5,634 posts, read 3,195,776 times
The groups have a civic purpose. Our community had three DAR chapters because sometime in the long ago past there were personality issues and conflicts in the original chapter. They still remain separate which actually allows for more events (and more women serving as officers). The DAR has sufficient money for scholarships and some school events and recognition for public service. I was chapter president of a SAR chapter and the two groups sometimes worked together. We always joked that the SAR husbands died and the money went to the DAR wives who then died and left it to the DAR. SAR sponsored or participated in more history events or civic awards and school recognition. DAR seemed more social. These groups sometimes take on or express political stances that can turn people away but there is probably a lot of variation in different communities. We had people join simply to be recognized members with a patriot ancestor certificate and we never saw them again. People wanting to join have to make an effort to prove a relationship to a Revolutionary patriot. The patriot definition in the DAR is a bit narrower than in the SAR. I still retain membership in my old chapter but moved 1000 miles away and never sought out a new local chapter.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:55 AM

1,491 posts, read 898,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
.. it's not clear what the value of such membership is.. be a superior being who can prove G'G'G'Greatpa was at Bunker Hill
The value of these groups is explained in subsequent posts in this thread. Historical-Genealogical groups provide community education & charity..

May not be of interest (or of clear value) to you, fair enough.. but you're projecting your disinterest (& prejudice) on to others. You view them as useless & snobby, but some folks are uplifted by learning and celebrating their history, receiving money & moral support for scholarships, continuing education, research, restoration, etc. Peace.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
The value of these groups is explained in subsequent posts in this thread. Historical-Genealogical groups provide community education & charity..

May not be of interest (or of clear value) to you, fair enough.. but you're projecting your disinterest (& prejudice) on to others. You view them as useless & snobby, but some folks are uplifted by learning and celebrating their history, receiving money & moral support for scholarships, continuing education, research, restoration, etc. Peace.
I've had enough involvement with the spectrum of such groups to have a fair viewpoint. Even in the Colonial states, their contributions to local history and so forth are pretty trivial - after all, they are inherently limited to a very small segment of US history. I've dealt with many town, state and other historical societies that are far more active, vibrant, engaged and... useful.

The DAR also has a long history of exclusionism, snobbery and racism; that's not something that can be brushed aside. It was always a club for the elite, barred to those immygrant types.

I have ancestors from Mayflower I and II, Nieuw Amsterdam, the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. All of which pleases me on some level, but is pretty irrelevant in 2019 and in no way makes me some sort of superior citizen. I qualify for Mensa, too. But groups that exist because of narrowly defined exclusivity or imagined superiority have never accomplished much of anything nor contributed much to ongoing culture. The achievement-based groups dwarf them in every way.

But join, by all means, if your DNA allows.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM

27,510 posts, read 59,523,846 times
I've heard they have really rippin keggers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV1FRk5PX4c

Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 PM

18,672 posts, read 17,828,376 times
Before I ever did any family history I knew a wonderful lady in our town who was a DAR member. She was involved in bettering the town, a good person. She said the DAR was composed of a lot of nice people.

Then I found that I have a lot of Rev. War veterans on my mother's side. It's nice to know and it helps to make history come alive, but beyond that, I don't want to join the DAR. As I did more of the family history, I found more groups I could join! But the paperwork, the fees, and what do you get for it?

It does sound as though the DAR is making a positive contribution though. The other groups I qualify for just seem exclusive and snobby. Too bad my main impression of the DAR is that they wouldn't allow Marion Anderson to sing the national anthem because she was black. That really spoiled it for me when I heard about that. But apparently they've taken steps to amend for that hateful stance. So if you want to join, go ahead. If they are doing good things and they've gotten beyond their long ago racism, by all means. If you're a person who likes to get involved in doing meaningful, positive things, it sounds like a good group to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History