Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:28 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Vikings never really crossed the Atlantic like traveling from Denmark to the mid Atlantic coast. They island hopped from northern Europe to Iceland, to Greenland, to North America....big difference. Some Eskimos did the same thing in reverse.
I know you didn't mean it that way, but you got me laughing at the idea of an Eskimo paddling a kayak backwards between continents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
..............For example I think the Vikings are overrated. In contrast to what has happening in Persia, the Middle East, China, India, Central America and Spain, the Vikings were a sparse backwater civilization. They generally had no scholar, engineer, scientist or writer of any note. Nor did they had no great architectural or engineering feat to their name..................
Shouldn't you consider that the Vikings became the Normans?
Normans defined Normandy, built England after 1066 and became the army of The Crusades. Norman built cathedrals and kingdoms, and since they spoke French, even changed the way we speak English today.
My favorite bit about the Normans is that they simply assimilated into the surrounding populace. They disappeared, yet they are still here...... Here I am - a Norman; a Celt.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
I'd go with ancient Vietnam. Did China really get all of its knowledge from the legendary dragons....or is that a nice cover story to say they raped and pillaged the long existing society to the south of them and claim all the discoveries as their own....was their really no written Vietnamese language for 9000 years...or is it really the Chinese characters that we see today modified as time has passed.

https://taobabe.wordpress.com/ancien...-civilization/

She's got a lot of links to different things she's researched. Ancient Vietnam was also interesting in that they had female leaders even in ancient times.

Last edited by artillery77; 02-01-2019 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-01-2019, 11:26 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Shouldn't you consider that the Vikings became the Normans?
Normans defined Normandy, built England after 1066 and became the army of The Crusades. Norman built cathedrals and kingdoms, and since they spoke French, even changed the way we speak English today.
My favorite bit about the Normans is that they simply assimilated into the surrounding populace. They disappeared, yet they are still here...... Here I am - a Norman; a Celt.
The Vikings didn't become the Normans, some Vikings settled in Northern France, intermixed with the local Gallo-Roman and Frankish people which then became the Normans. The Normans were culturally and linguistically Gallo- Roman and Frankish with some Nordic culturally elements peppered in here and there. To claim the Normans as Vikings would be a massive stretch.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:30 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'd go with ancient Vietnam. Did China really get all of its knowledge from the legendary dragons....or is that a nice cover story to say they raped and pillaged the long existing society to the south of them and claim all the discoveries as their own....was their really no written Vietnamese language for 9000 years...or is it really the Chinese characters that we see today modified as time has passed.

She's got a lot of links to different things she's researched. Ancient Vietnam was also interesting in that they had female leaders even in ancient times.
How much cultural and linguistic overlap is there between Vietnam and South China?

Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
How much cultural and linguistic overlap is there between Vietnam and South China?
Quite a bit. When it was the Nan Yue...there were the same country...starting where the Qin stopped...some of those lake names aren't Chinese in China....and then the Hans rode in and destroyed everything they could and enforcing their own Chinese history on them in a 1000 year occupation including the long established rights of women...hence the 3000 year old oral tradition as a source of pride, easily dismissed outright as legend for a long time, but with modern archaeology is slowly being recovered.

It's a worthy endeavor to look into, muddied by some Chinese faux scholars who seek only to maintain their revisionist history. I look forward to seeing future advancements in the area.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:33 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

Sorry but I don't take history lessons from anime characters. In any case whatever dispute she has appear to be regional.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:55 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
The Vikings didn't become the Normans, some Vikings settled in Northern France, intermixed with the local Gallo-Roman and Frankish people which then became the Normans. The Normans were culturally and linguistically Gallo- Roman and Frankish with some Nordic culturally elements peppered in here and there. To claim the Normans as Vikings would be a massive stretch.
Not everyone believes it is a stretch. Viking leader Rollo started the ball rolling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans

At any rate I think you underrate the Vikings. The extended their influence into Russia (Russia is named after the Vikings. Vikings were called "Rus", or those who row.
The even journeyed south from St Petersberg overland and across the Black Sea to Constantinople and set up trade routes. The Viking longboat is a marvel of engineering.

But no, they never built cathedrals and so forth, but why would they? Christianity had never reached them when they approached Scotland in around 800.
Each civilization is a product of its environment. The northernmost Vikings struggled to eat at all; the ones in Denmark fared a little better. The Viking myth, with the horned helmet, has destroyed most of what was real about the Vikings.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:50 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Not everyone believes it is a stretch. Viking leader Rollo started the ball rolling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans

At any rate I think you underrate the Vikings. The extended their influence into Russia (Russia is named after the Vikings. Vikings were called "Rus", or those who row.
The even journeyed south from St Petersberg overland and across the Black Sea to Constantinople and set up trade routes. The Viking longboat is a marvel of engineering.

But no, they never built cathedrals and so forth, but why would they? Christianity had never reached them when they approached Scotland in around 800.
Each civilization is a product of its environment. The northernmost Vikings struggled to eat at all; the ones in Denmark fared a little better. The Viking myth, with the horned helmet, has destroyed most of what was real about the Vikings.
Yeah I don't think the Vikings are overrated, just that they are severely misunderstood, and in many ways are underrated since everyone seems to focus on one small aspect of them, and that is pillaging of coastal towns along the north sea. There is a lot more to them than meets the eye. In many ways they are the Phoenicians of the medieval age. Also not only did they trade with Byzantium, but they also sailed across the Caspian and traded with the Persians. I don't know of any other group of people of their time or before who had such a large network of trade routes, everything between Persia and Vinland.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 AM

170 posts, read 72,126 times
Overrated: Rome
Underrated: Greece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History