U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 AM

7,435 posts, read 6,913,320 times

Advertisements

O'connor Electro-plating Corp. in Los Angeles.

There was already a lawsuit and a trial held of the plant owner.

Last edited by lchoro; 02-02-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 03:29 PM

6,441 posts, read 1,967,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The first thing I would do is see an injury lawyer to see if you have a prosecutable case.
These lawyers take cases they can win and only get paid when you get paid.
No, the OP does not have a case.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 320,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The first thing I would do is see an injury lawyer to see if you have a prosecutable case.
These lawyers take cases they can win and only get paid when you get paid.
No lawyer on earth would waste his time on a case like this.
Op, what makes you feel you deserve money for this event? if it was in the papers and well known, I'm sure the boss suffered any legal ramifications that were coming back when it happened, let it go.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 PM

263 posts, read 70,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
O'connor Electro-plating Corp. in Los Angeles.

There was already a lawsuit and a trial held of the plant owner.
Yep. I love since he says he doesn't want to reveal which one, then, posts a picture that takes 5 seconds to image search :-)

Old 02-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Robert O'Connor was the general manager of the plant. The cause of the accident was blamed on a breakdown in the refrigeration unit that held the volatile chemical.

https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi...xt-txIN-------

There are a lot of warnings now about storing perchloric acid.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 1 day ago)

14,215 posts, read 5,624,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Hopefully, someone can help guide me in the right direction regarding if anything can be done regarding receiving some kind of justice & compensation.

My aunt was killed in a chemical explosion back in the 1940s while she was at her job site. She was in her early 20s. Her boss was responsible for this. He lied about his education, credentials, etc. to get his job. There's plenty of proof online about this...countless articles, photos, and even a book written about this tragedy that I'm trying to find/obtain. I know boss' name, the name of the company she worked for, the address, etc. I just learned of all these articles, etc.

Is there here anything at all I can do to pursue this and if so, who can I contact? (My father has passed away a few years ago now and there are no other relatives of mine to ask about this.)
Contact an attorney!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:50 PM

4,799 posts, read 7,760,934 times
Quote:
Robert O'Connor was the general manager of the plant. The cause of the accident was blamed on a breakdown in the refrigeration unit that held the volatile chemical.

Well, that's the 1st & only article I've seen that didn't state that Robert Magee was the sole man responsible. Again, he was killed instantly too.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:31 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,413,637 times
A long time ago I witnessed a death. I don't know if it was a suicide, a murder, or a suicide to avoid murder. It was very fast. I've always wanted confirmation one way or the other...if only to keep it put to bed.

OP, i'd offer this advice. People define wounds as the points where there's bleeding, but there's many ways to hurt ourselves. I wouldn't rip open an old wound for money. There's a million ways to make money, but not many ways to heal. Vindication and vengeance are overrated when the true cost is put to the equation. Let God make their judgement. He promises he will in Deuteronomy.

There's one other risk you face, after pooling your energies and conscience into proving out the wrongness delivered and plunging yourself into litigation mindset. It will sting your core. Peoples' indifference.

Mourn the dead. Pray for their souls. Celebrate the living. Find a better path.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:10 AM

9,774 posts, read 20,678,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoplasmic View Post
Yep. I love since he says he doesn't want to reveal which one, then, posts a picture that takes 5 seconds to image search :-)
Out of all the pictures, he posts the one labeled with the name OConnor Electroplating Explosion 1947.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
No lawyer on earth would waste his time on a case like this.
Op, what makes you feel you deserve money for this event? if it was in the papers and well known, I'm sure the boss suffered any legal ramifications that were coming back when it happened, let it go.
From what I'm seeing on google, the owner was already sued.

The Real Crimes Behind L.A. Noire Cases: “The Nicholson Electroplating Disaster”

Quote:
A vilified Robert O’Connor was sued by blast victims and would plead the fifth amendment during the official inquest on the explosion, responding in the affirmative to Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney S. Ernest Rolls question, “Do you mean to tell me that you refuse to testify on the grounds that the testimony might tend to incriminate you?”
Quote:

L.A. Scene The City Then and Now By Cecilia Rasmussen
Deadly Blast a Proving Ground for Live TV

Quote:
But an hour before the blast the refrigeration unit broke down. About the same time, as investigators later surmised, Magee apparently inserted a plastic rack into the solution, triggering the blast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, that's the 1st & only article I've seen that didn't state that Robert Magee was the sole man responsible. Again, he was killed instantly too.
That was an early article. The later ones picked him apart.

I assume your aunt was his assistant. I see there was no death certificate issued back then. I think the best thing you could do for your aunt would be to try to get someone to finally give a death certificate for her. It's obvious she passed that day. You could also get her a memorial stone to add to the family plot and add her on find a grave. I'm not seeing anyone with her last name buried with a memorial on find a grave. If you're into genealogy, you should start entering your family there.

The blast was an important event in history, it's when TV 1st started.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-03-2019 at 03:19 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 11:34 AM

Plastic is dipped in the acid to facilitate coating it with metal.

electroplating plastic

The process is used making electrical parts, such as semiconductors, and highly toxic. It's not clear what conditions, such as temperature, that the above process can be done safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or