U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM

1,200 posts, read 320,224 times

Advertisements

I find this thread utterly ridiculous. The person responsible died in the blast 80 years ago. His estate has long since been taken through lawsuits. The OP of this thread never even knew his aunt. The op lacks standing to sue, a defendant who has any assets that exist, is past the statute of limitations by decades.
Why are people telling him to contact an attorney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 PM

27,561 posts, read 38,922,794 times
So many posters have not bothered to read the OP posts. They are not interested in suing or money. They are looking for information. Or so they say. After stating this they refuse to give us enough information (intentionally anyway) to find any information.

The logic defies logic.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM

17,515 posts, read 6,640,667 times
Surely lawyers love 72 year old cold cases where the men who caused it are all dead. (sar)

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 02-03-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 01:31 PM

17,515 posts, read 6,640,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So many posters have not bothered to read the OP posts. They are not interested in suing or money. They are looking for information. Or so they say. After stating this they refuse to give us enough information (intentionally anyway) to find any information.

The logic defies logic.
Read post 14 where OP talks about damages (a/k/a money).

Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 PM

27,561 posts, read 38,922,794 times
Read post #30

Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Hopefully, someone can help guide me in the right direction regarding if anything can be done regarding receiving some kind of justice & compensation.

My aunt was killed in a chemical explosion back in the 1940s while she was at her job site. She was in her early 20s. Her boss was responsible for this. He lied about his education, credentials, etc. to get his job. There's plenty of proof online about this...countless articles, photos, and even a book written about this tragedy that I'm trying to find/obtain. I know boss' name, the name of the company she worked for, the address, etc. I just learned of all these articles, etc.

Is there here anything at all I can do to pursue this and if so, who can I contact? (My father has passed away a few years ago now and there are no other relatives of mine to ask about this.)
It seems you want justice, what does that mean? after all, the guy responsible died in the blast, what justice could you possibly hope to find at this point and from whom? If it makes you feel better find his grave stone and take a leak on it maybe?
If it's any consolation, I'm sure there's nobody sorrier for his ineptness/stupidity than he.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 1 day ago)

14,215 posts, read 5,624,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I find this thread utterly ridiculous. The person responsible died in the blast 80 years ago. His estate has long since been taken through lawsuits. The OP of this thread never even knew his aunt. The op lacks standing to sue, a defendant who has any assets that exist, is past the statute of limitations by decades.
Under the Rules of Professional Responsibility I must advise a person when they may have legal rights to seek counsel. I personally would not take this matter on for a lot of reasons.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Under the Rules of Professional Responsibility I must advise a person when they may have legal rights to seek counsel. I personally would not take this matter on for a lot of reasons.
Yeah, well it doesn't take a shyster lawyer to recognize there's no case here. Anyone past the age of 10 should see that.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 AM

9,774 posts, read 20,678,012 times
reply #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Out of all the pictures, he posts the one labeled with the name OConnor Electroplating Explosion 1947.png

From what I'm seeing on google, the owner was already sued.

The Real Crimes Behind L.A. Noire Cases: “The Nicholson Electroplating Disaster”

Quote:
A vilified Robert O’Connor was sued by blast victims and would plead the fifth amendment during the official inquest on the explosion, responding in the affirmative to Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney S. Ernest Rolls question, “Do you mean to tell me that you refuse to testify on the grounds that the testimony might tend to incriminate you?”

L.A. Scene The City Then and Now By Cecilia Rasmussen
Deadly Blast a Proving Ground for Live TV

Quote:
But an hour before the blast the refrigeration unit broke down. About the same time, as investigators later surmised, Magee apparently inserted a plastic rack into the solution, triggering the blast.

That was an early article. The later ones picked him apart.

I assume your aunt was his assistant. I see there was no death certificate issued back then. I think the best thing you could do for your aunt would be to try to get someone to finally give a death certificate for her. It's obvious she passed that day. You could also get her a memorial stone to add to the family plot and add her on find a grave. I'm not seeing anyone with her last name buried with a memorial on find a grave. If you're into genealogy, you should start entering your family there.

The blast was an important event in history, it's when TV 1st started.
Google O'Connor Electroplating Explosion 1947

Quote:
Yes there were lawsuits already. That ship has sailed

Quote:

The logic defies logic.
He wanted to sue. There is tons of info out there on the blast etc. I found some googling the name of the blast and his aunts name which I found in one article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Read post 14 where OP talks about damages (a/k/a money).
I don't understand how he didn't know there was already a lawsuit.

post 14
Quote:
I never heard about this either & can't say too much more w/o revealing my own ID, but I came to know of this when a chemist contacted me just last month. He actually wrote an article about it on his science history website & about my specific family. He must be in his 90s himself because I was shocked he was still alive.

She never had any children. Technically there's one last living sibling left (out of several), so she'd be in line to get any money. I don't know if she ever knew about this, but if she did, she wouldn't tell me about it.

Company's been blown up...killed 17 (my aunt & her boss included on that day), injured 150. Even disturbed homes in the nearby area too.

Maybe I'll PM you.

Thanks a lot! Actually, a university law professor I contacted said generally, damages for an incident like this must be filed w/i 2 yrs of the incident, but that I should speak w/ a local personal injury attorney to get his or her opinion. So he didn't say all hope was lost.

Quote:
Read post #30
post #30
Quote:
EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ MY OTHER POSTS AFTER MY OP, specifically post #18 & then I did 1 more post #26 after that. Here it is below. I've given up trying to see about compensation. I know too many yrs have passed.

When disasters happen that kill loved ones & people sue, why do you think they sue? To get justice, compensation for a family member, etc. Unfortunately, this incident just happened way too many yrs ago, but a devastating tragedy is still a devastating tragedy no matter whether it happened 2 yrs ago or 70 yrs ago.

Quote:
I appreciate the comments. It's just one of those tragic events in which I'll collect as much information as I can for my own personal intrigue. The article the chemist wrote had photos of my aunt in which I can tell it's her and the official 1940 US census with my dad's name and his 7 other family members.

I'd love to know what the connection was with specifically my family to this chemist/article writer and this woman who he stated as an "invaluable help". Were either of them a childhood friend, etc.? I'll ask him. They must both be in their 90s then by now because the only living relative of my dad's family is the very youngest daughter (my other aunt) and she's now in her late 70s. Two of the other sisters just passed within a few mos of each other just the last 1/2 of last year.

My father's family was also facing another devastating plight at that time along with others of their ethnicity, which is probably why they never had the chance or means to prosecute back then about it.

My aunt was only 21 or 22 when she passed...a life way too short. The sudden and devastating way she left this earth, even finding dental records was impossible. She was just wiped out and forever gone.

To clarify, the "wannabe chemist", which is the term they used for that liar who was the sole cause of the explosion died too in the explosion along with my aunt, 16 others, and 150 injured.

The chemist who contacted me last month who wrote the article is a different man. I wonder did he know the other guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You're being awful coy with revealing the identity of the plant. It sounds like you don't want people to research information that might contradict your claims or to find out whether damages have been paid out. It's still a common occurrence for fires to break out and explosions to occur at fertilizer plants.

2018 fire

Doing that would reveal my last name & w/ crazies out there & I've already had ID theft, etc. done to m e throughout the yrs, who knows what someone will do next.

Here's a picture of it though:
Quote:
It seems you want justice, what does that mean? after all, the guy responsible died in the blast, what justice could you possibly hope to find at this point and from whom? If it makes you feel better find his grave stone and take a leak on it maybe?
If it's any consolation, I'm sure there's nobody sorrier for his ineptness/stupidity than he.
His aunts remains were not found. I'm also not seeing her on find a grave. The best thing the OP can do would be get her a memorial stone for the family plot, enter all of his family on find a grave because they're not there. He also should get a death certificate for her which at the time one was not given out even though they knew she died.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-04-2019 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Status: "POTUS Trump promises - not hot air" (set 1 day ago)

14,215 posts, read 5,624,259 times
Quote:
Yeah, well it doesn't take a shyster lawyer to recognize there's no case here. Anyone past the age of 10 should see that.
Some states have reopened statutes of limitations on rape, and on hazardous substances. I would be remiss in not pointing out the need for legal representation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or