U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 PM

25,555 posts, read 61,024,611 times

Advertisements

I am working on a book about a former friend of mine who fought in WWII. I need to learn about his unit's actions in Italy. He was part of Task Force 45. I found something called the history of Task Force 45, but it is sketchy on details and only 40 pages. I also found a book online about the Brazilian expeditionary force which was part of task force 45 (but the book costs $130). My friend was in an anti-aircraft battery that converted to infantry.

Although I want to look at their entire time in Italy, right now I and looking into their actions at Mt. Belvedere prior to the 10th mountain finally taking it for good.

Other than whatever google searches I can come up with. I have no idea where to look. However I know there are some WWII history buffs here on CD. so if anyone has any guidance, it woudl be appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,448,878 times
Try the US Army they may direct you. Also the US Official History will note the actions of this unit.

Old Today, 01:39 PM

5,322 posts, read 1,779,898 times
The Fold3 service, which can be accessed through Ancestry.com, contains quite a bit of material about individuals. You might find it useful to look up your subject and as many other individuals in his unit for stray facts and info that might lead to other records. (Since it's a relatively small amount of research, check with local libraries to see if they subscribe to Ancestry for patron use.)

The parallel service Newspapers.com is also a gold mine of small items and articles that might mention the unit or the battles.

Keep in mind that a ton of WWII records were lost in a massive fire in the early 1960s.

Old Today, 01:49 PM

5,172 posts, read 6,254,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Try the US Army they may direct you. Also the US Official History will note the actions of this unit.
Agree John-UK

Archives at Army War College (Senior Service College) @ Carlisle Barracks PA and Center for Lessons Learned @ Ft Lee, VA can get you started. Institute for Heraldry also. Carlisle is where the historians gather.

they can get you started hopefully

Good luck

Old Today, 02:04 PM

Thank you!

I just found a library in Abilene Kansas that has their records. the librarian said they have a detailed report on his silver star.

Old Today, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you!

I just found a library in Abilene Kansas that has their records. the librarian said they have a detailed report on his silver star.
This is a great start. Hopefully that will provide a lot of the localized details. Then I will need to get a better idea of the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History