Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM

170 posts, read 72,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trevelyan also said famine was an “effective mechanism for reducing surplus population.”
That theory is nonsensical, the British didn't plan the famine, it was a natural disaster. The British mechanism for population control was to encourage migration to their colonies which in turn would help with their development.

Instead of being victims of Empire, the Irish were very much the tools of empire. Millions willingly played a direct role in colonising, enslaving and wiping out various regions of the world on behalf of the British Empire, the USA, and several other places such as Argentina.

It's funny that the Irish diaspora around the world are celebrated while the Scots diaspora in Ireland are demonized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:17 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Someone has to fill me in here. Are the Brits always right? Was the IRA evil or were they freedom fighters who were tired of British "slavery" which defines the history of Ireland.

I am confused because when I visited family in Belfast they too me to the IRA Cemetery and it seems they exalted the dead.

Maybe some more material about the Brit treatment of the Irish needs to go in the history books? Like the fact that Irish families and children starved while, behind a fence nearby, the finest beef and pork were being grown for export to London?

"quotes damning the Irish used by Sir Charles Trevelyan, who notoriously said “the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach Irish a lesson.”

Trevelyan also said famine was an “effective mechanism for reducing surplus population.”
The famine was an entirely separate era from the IRA. Was there residual anger about the 19th century treatment of the Irish by the British that was used by the IRA? Absolutely. But it is far too simplistic to say that the IRA, especially of the latter 20th century, were freedom fighters. That is a quality that Irish Americans often imbued them with, while ignoring that the IRA was also run like an organized crime syndicate/street gang that ran roughshod over Irish Catholics in the North. Their 'protection' of Catholics wasn't free or without condition. They exploited the Troubles for their own benefit.

This is not to say that Protestant paramilitaries were blameless, the same would apply to them. And the British made a complete *******s of the public perception of their presence there, but they were not the sole reason for the Troubles.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:06 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The famine was an entirely separate era from the IRA. Was there residual anger about the 19th century treatment of the Irish by the British that was used by the IRA? Absolutely. But it is far too simplistic to say that the IRA, especially of the latter 20th century, were freedom fighters. That is a quality that Irish Americans often imbued them with, while ignoring that the IRA was also run like an organized crime syndicate/street gang that ran roughshod over Irish Catholics in the North. Their 'protection' of Catholics wasn't free or without condition. They exploited the Troubles for their own benefit.

This is not to say that Protestant paramilitaries were blameless, the same would apply to them. And the British made a complete *******s of the public perception of their presence there, but they were not the sole reason for the Troubles.
The British Army were the meat in the sectarian sandwich.. or how they were described.. sent in to keep the peace with people who didnt appreciate them.. and what they were sent to do ... to help keep the peace... when it comes right down to it these people liked fighting even my old granny told me this when I was young.. she as Irish and said the fighting would never stop with them as they like fighting..

Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,060,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I still don't understand why he got an airport named after him.
The simple fact that here people are talking about him nearly 40 years after his death may give you clue.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
He was being his usual John lennon with an enormous chip on his shoulder
He was a very intelligent man. He was expressing his right to freedom on a problem in his own country. It is simple to understand.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
What are you referring was His own country.... he was English...
The country is the United Kingdom.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I don't think he was a very nice person in his youth. Quick to anger, and very sarcastic.
His humour was Liverpudlian, which is very sharp and piercing. This is normal in Liverpool and accepted, but outsiders take offence.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Someone has to fill me in here. Are the Brits always right? Was the IRA evil or were they freedom fighters who were tired of British "slavery" which defines the history of Ireland.
"Slavery"? This is indicative of the warped view Americans have. The IRA were a terrorist organisation representing themselves. The majority in Northern Ireland wanted to remain in the UK. They were wanting their way against the majority by force and death.

The Canadian, Australians and New Zealanders did not resort to killing to get their way.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:46 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:

I am confused because when I visited family in Belfast they too me to the IRA Cemetery and it seems they exalted the dead.

Maybe some more material about the Brit treatment of the Irish needs to go in the history books? Like the fact that Irish families and children starved while, behind a fence nearby, the finest beef and pork were being grown for export to London?

"quotes damning the Irish used by Sir Charles Trevelyan, who notoriously said “the judgement of God sent the calamity to teach Irish a lesson.”

That last famine was just 173 years ago and killed half the Irish population. Many believe the potato blight disease that destroyed a main staple of their diet, had been deliberately brought in and spread by the English. Those Anglo-Saxons had waged a campaign of genocide against all the Celtic people within their reach, for many centuries. Is there any wonder that resistance movements sprang up?

Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That last famine was just 173 years ago and killed half the Irish population. Many believe the potato blight disease that destroyed a main staple of their diet, had been deliberately brought in and spread by the English. Those Anglo-Saxons had waged a campaign of genocide against all the Celtic people within their reach, for many centuries. Is there any wonder that resistance movements sprang up?
Like most Americans, you haven't got a clue about the true history of Ireland. I bet you drink green beer on St. Patrick's day, and sing rebel songs huh?

'Many believe' huh? Is that like in 'I heard......'?

I was just reading elsewhere, about on hearing the news of Hitler's death, the Irish Prime Minister, Eamon de Valera, went to the German Embassy, and signed the book of condolences. Great folks those Irish huh?

Last edited by English Dave; 02-24-2019 at 01:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History