Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
"Stooshie." I learned a new word today!

I think that I and about 99.99 percent of all other Americans, Southerners included, are ashamed and disgusted by our history of racial lynching. So, OP, if you're looking to cause a stooshie about this issue, I don't think it will work. Pretty much all of us agree with you.

If you have specific questions or comments about the historical issue of lynching, then let's hear 'em.
I really wanted to know where the word Lynching came from thats why I got into these sites.. some say it was after a man called Lynch but then another site said the word lynching was long before this man... does anyone know...some sites say this.. The word lynching is recorded in English since 1835, as a verb derived from the earlier expression "Lynch law" (known since 1811). This phrase is likely named after the Lynch family name.

The most likely eponym for the concept of Lynch law as summary justice is William Lynch, the author of "Lynch's Law." This was an agreement with the Virginia General Assembly (Virginian state legislature) on September 22, 1782, which allowed Lynch to pursue and punish criminals in Pittsylvania County, without due process of law, because legal proceedings were in practical terms impossible in the area due to the lack of adequate provision of courts.

Others believe the term came into use only with Colonel Charles Lynch, a Virginia magistrate and officer on the revolutionary side during the American Revolutionary War. He continued William's practice as the head of a vigilance committee, an irregular court trying and sentencing (in the form of fines and imprisonment) petty criminals and pro-British Tories in his district circa 1782.and I dont like stooshies....haha.. it was someone else who wanted that on here.. I wanted to know more about Lynching.. as Ive only really heard it on Westerns in the past.....

Old 02-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think what he is saying is that lynching wasn't limited to the South and too often it is portrayed like it was. Many southerners have a chip on their shoulder--rightfully so--in the sense that they are treated in a condescending way by many in the North. The North had racial problems too and southerners are correct that there is a hypocrisy in not seeing their own faults.

Lynching may have been more common in some areas, but it occurred in the North as well. There were people lynched in Minnesota, North Dakota, California, and even in my home state of Utah. Additionally, many of the lynchings in the North were racially motivated.

I didn't need to look at these pictures. They are truly sickening and I have seen them before.

I think there are some valid questions to be asked as a historian about lynching. For example, did it occur because a competent court and authorities were not present to adjudicate crime and administer punishments? Or, did it occur simply because of a belief that some groups were sub-human and did not deserve access to the legal system?

That lynching was both unspeakably brutal and often grew out of pure racism is beyond dispute.

What I note today is that there is a segment of the population that does not believe individuals charged with some crimes deserve a trial and would like to resolve these issues through a process like lynching. It is the obligation of decent people to insist on due process of law even for people that we know or strongly suspect are guilty of even horrific crimes. It is the only way we can defend civilization.
thanks for your reply very interesting..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Oh you really are a charmer...are you saying these postcards are all made up and the burning of blacks . mexicans etc never happened...You give me your insight.. come on.. spill..surely to christ you dont feel the same way as the history in that area...Not my postcards I wouldnt have one in my hands..their disgusting..
No, that's not at all what he was saying. He's saying your post seems more of an attempt to do some pot stirring rather than trying to gain any actual insight into historical events.
Come on now, how would you feel if someone opened a thread about any one of the religious persecutions in Europe and pointed fingers and asked you what kind of morons your ancestors were, how dare they call themselves Christians while torturing and killing people of different faiths?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, that's not at all what he was saying. He's saying your post seems more of an attempt to do some pot stirring rather than trying to gain any actual insight into historical events.
Come on now, how would you feel if someone opened a thread about any one of the religious persecutions in Europe and pointed fingers and asked you what kind of morons your ancestors were, how dare they call themselves Christians while torturing and killing people of different faiths?
It wouldnt bother me one bit. its history, it wasnt me who carried it out and I am very honest and upfront about the past of my country....Im intersted in all history, always have been.. and wanted to know more about lynching... It wasnt people around now who carried out these terrible crimes but a long time ago..same as shoving children up chimneys to clean them here in Britain... probably people thought nothing of it at that time..... , it was our past but still interests me on how people thought in such a different way and were quite cruel....

Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
How dare you..if you cant stand up and explain your other post then forget it... your one sad person.. Your the one with problems friend not me..what you want is a big stooshie of an argument to get this thread closed so that no one else can comment.. silly Harry..
Bless your heart.

How dare I? Perhaps because I have lots more knowledge and less emotion, and you have lots of emotion, but not very much knowledge?

FWIW, You might want to watch the Brit TV show "QI" season 10 episode 12 for an answer to your question on the etymology of "Lynch" -quite interesting.

Don't forget your pot.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bless your heart.

How dare I? Perhaps because I have lots more knowledge and less emotion, and you have lots of emotion, but not very much knowledge?

FWIW, You might want to watch the Brit TV show "QI" season 10 episode 12 for an answer to your question on the etymology of "Lynch" -quite interesting.

Don't forget your pot.
Maybe Im a caring person with empathy for others.. but thanks for the heads up on the show..

Old 02-28-2019, 01:15 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that churchgoers and most back then were...could even think about doing these things to another human being.
Have you looked into lynchings in the UK?

Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you looked into lynchings in the UK?
hahahaha just took time...If you go on google to read about lynchings its mostly against blacks in the US... just a thought..what I will tell you though is that Glasgow where I live was built on slavery and thats something were not proud of.. but admit to it.

Last edited by dizzybint; 02-28-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
This was an editorial cartoon that appeared in the Baltimore Sun in 1931, protesting a lynching that had taken place in the rural eastern part of Maryland. The title was particularly provocative because "Maryland, My Maryland!" is the name of the state's official song. White citizens of that region were so angered -- not by the lynching itself, but by the negative attention that the cartoon drew to them -- that they attacked the newspaper's delivery trucks.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:12 PM

We cant hide the past..... many Glasgow people never knew about how it was built on slavery , it wasnt spoke much about, now it is and glad of it... time it was told to all. and streets named after tobacco lords in glasgow should all be changed no matter how much money they gave to the city........to build churches etc on the backs of their slaves...we should admit to what happened no matter if we were there or not , it did happen sadly.....not one bit proud but glad the truth is being told ......https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_...haped-glasgow/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History