U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 12,074,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
David apparently was into some kinky things==at least what was kindy by the House of Windsor’s standards
And WWS had no qualms about giving what he needed...
she seems to have spread her charms around ..hahaha...even when married to Edward..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 01:44 PM

2,657 posts, read 983,927 times
My view of Wallis Simpson is that she should have walked away and left the King alone because of the destruction to his birthright. Real love would not have allowed any harm coming to him or his family. The abdication of a King, the KING, is a HUGE deal.

Duchess Camilla is a homewrecker. I cannot accept her as the wife of Prince Charles. She was wrong to interfere with Princess Diana's and Prince Charles' marriage. Look at how much harm she created. Now she is heralded as a great person. NOT!!

Old 03-05-2019, 01:45 PM

2,657 posts, read 983,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
She never struck me as very good looking. Was she a "real dish" by the standards of those times?

She was beautiful in his eyes. Your own wives might be beautiful to you but look like a dog to someone else.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM

7,732 posts, read 5,698,779 times
I'm not defending her, but I will say she gets blamed for consequences that were wholly the responsibility of her husband. Ultimately, the choice was his. He was going to be King...Could have had his cake and eaten it too, it just wouldn't have been served at Westminster Abbey. Nothing would have stopped him from granting her a title and land and keeping her as a Girlfriend.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:07 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,147,721 times
We have our own little piece of Wallace Simpson history here at the hotel Del Coronado. There’s a portion of the hotel called the Windsor complex with private meeting rooms and lounges. The story goes that Simpson lived in the area and frequented the hotel with her first husband a US naval aviator.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM

14,993 posts, read 12,074,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
She was beautiful in his eyes. Your own wives might be beautiful to you but look like a dog to someone else.
He had some dishy women before her though.. she put a spell on him hahaha. he was weak..says she treated him like dirt and he loved it...

Old 03-05-2019, 05:54 PM

11,372 posts, read 4,633,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
He had some dishy women before her though.. she put a spell on him hahaha. he was weak..says she treated him like dirt and he loved it...
There was obviously something about her that attracted some men, even powerful good looking men. She wasn't going to win a beauty contest but I'm willing to bet she had a certain charm, a way of talking to men, a way she carried herself and a flirtatious personality which overcame whatever she lacked in the facial beauty dept. Some people really do fall in love with someone's personality. She certainly wasn't horrendous looking and did have what many men would consider a very nice body.
I'm willing to bet she treated Edward like he was a human being no different than anyone else. He was accustomed to even the best looking women falling all over him because he was a prince. To Edward, that was probably a big turn off as far as long term relationships. Wallis was probably a lot of fun, a little bit kooky, and the type of person he had never really encountered before and gotten to know personally.

Last edited by marino760; 03-05-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 PM

29,303 posts, read 46,268,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I don’t think it was her beauty that had him enthralled—-
Think Trilby and Svengali but reversed...

The series “The Crown” has a good take on the Royals’ reaction to D/D of Windsor—
And something I read—maybe about Churchill—illustrated that Queen Elizabeth when she was a young girl after her father took the crown, went to school daily in the palace to learn the rules governing the soverign’s powers and the parliment’s powers—because that was her job...
She was taught minutia of history and laws to ensure that SHE understood her role as future queen...

They didn’t have much of a life when they were children and then the war came and limited it even more...

They really hated David for escaping the kingship and thrusting it on their father—
He was never groomed for it, lacked lot of the training/education David got—and the self-confidence
But he was an honorable man and tried his best—-but stress (smoking) contributed to what as an early death
So they blamed D/D for killing the King...

Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 PM

29,303 posts, read 46,268,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not defending her, but I will say she gets blamed for consequences that were wholly the responsibility of her husband. Ultimately, the choice was his. He was going to be King...Could have had his cake and eaten it too, it just wouldn't have been served at Westminster Abbey. Nothing would have stopped him from granting her a title and land and keeping her as a Girlfriend.
Actually that was what she wouldn’t agree to—
She thought she could force them to knuckle under because he was so charismatic and beloved of the people

Charles has done something similar in marrying CPB but she can never be crowned Queen

Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 PM

11,372 posts, read 4,633,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don’t think it was her beauty that had him enthralled—-
Think Trilby and Svengali but reversed...

The series “The Crown” has a good take on the Royals’ reaction to D/D of Windsor—
And something I read—maybe about Churchill—illustrated that Queen Elizabeth when she was a young girl after her father took the crown, went to school daily in the palace to learn the rules governing the soverign’s powers and the parliment’s powers—because that was her job...
She was taught minutia of history and laws to ensure that SHE understood her role as future queen...

They didn’t have much of a life when they were children and then the war came and limited it even more...

They really hated David for escaping the kingship and thrusting it on their father—
He was never groomed for it, lacked lot of the training/education David got—and the self-confidence
But he was an honorable man and tried his best—-but stress (smoking) contributed to what as an early death
So they blamed D/D for killing the King...
I believe the "they" was really one person and that was Queen Elizabeth's mother who at the time was horrified that her husband was going to be King and of course it was because of Wallis. I don't buy for a moment that he wasn't also groomed to be King. Perhaps not to the extent his brother was, but you're not second in line to being King of England without being extensively groomed.
I don't believe growing up Elizabeth nor her sister held any great contempt for their Uncle or his wife. Any distance Elizabeth kept from her uncle was to make her mother happy. When he died, Elizabeth was cordial to Wallis and welcomed her as best she could under the circumstances. When Wallis died she was buried at Windsor next to her husband. I doubt such a thing could happen without the approval of the royal family especially Elizabeth.
Churchill was thrilled the German loving Hitler supporting King had abdicated. He thought Wallis Simpson was the best thing that could have happened to Great Britain at that time.

Last edited by marino760; 03-05-2019 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or