U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 PM

19,535 posts, read 12,794,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I find it difficult to believe that Simpson was any kind of saint. From everything I have read -- and I have read quite a bit on the subject -- she was a very nasty, mean, vain and selfish person. Not exactly the self-sacrificing type at all.

Think gist of all this new media is to rehabilitate a bit of Wallis Simpson's story, to at least put it out there that she was as much a victim of the "abdication crisis" than a Lady Macbeth.

Am in no way defending the woman; but if one were Wallis Simpson post becoming dss of Windsor one would likely be a bitter nasty piece of work as well.

The woman was saddled in marriage to a man she (likely) didn't really love, and (equally likely) grew to despise. Circumstances made her reviled by much of the public and certainly society outside of the odd lot who for their own reasons befriended the duke and duchess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:19 PM

11,409 posts, read 4,662,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I find it difficult to believe that Simpson was any kind of saint. From everything I have read -- and I have read quite a bit on the subject -- she was a very nasty, mean, vain and selfish person. Not exactly the self-sacrificing type at all.
I haven't seen anything despite the title of this thread where Simpson is regarded as a saint by anyone. I think she was selfish, played with fire, got in way deeper and over her head than she ever intended to and lived with her bad decisions for the rest of her life.
Whatever kind of person she was, she payed the price for it. Unlike some people would have done though, she didn't make millions writing a book about her husband and her marriage, nor spoke publicly about the royal family even after he died. She probably could have made a fortune telling her story on TV or in a book but she chose not to. After everything, she remained with Edward for the rest of his life. I think that at least showed some dignity and some amount of integrity no matter what else she did.

Last edited by marino760; 03-11-2019 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 AM

15,119 posts, read 12,125,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Wow. Joe Kennedy Sr talking about tarts. I think he knew a few himself. Hilarious.
HE was one.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:00 AM

15,119 posts, read 12,125,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I haven't seen anything despite the title of this thread where Simpson is regarded as a saint by anyone. I think she was selfish, played with fire, got in way deeper and over her head than she ever intended to and lived with her bad decisions for the rest of her life.
Whatever kind of person she was, she payed the price for it. Unlike some people would have done though, she didn't make millions writing a book about her husband and her marriage, nor spoke publicly about the royal family even after he died. She probably could have made a fortune telling her story on TV or in a book but she chose not to. After everything, she remained with Edward for the rest of his life. I think that at least showed some dignity and some amount of integrity no matter what else she did.
She did however live in the height of luxury for the rest of her life something she craved..with a title.. https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ard-paris-home

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-12-2019 at 01:18 AM..

Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 AM

19,535 posts, read 12,794,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
She did however live in the height of luxury for the rest of her life something she craved..with a title.. https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...ard-paris-home

Duke and Duchess of Windsor were well known for being a money grubbing pair. Much of that "lap of luxury" the former king and his wife (then widow) lived in was due to generosity of others. Their villa outside of Paris for instance was a gift from French government (the duke and duchess paid a very modest rent). King Edward VIIIís Financial Settlement: How Much Money Did He Get After The Abdication?

They say we all get the death we deserve. If that is the case Wallis Simpson received hers in spades:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...sors-days.html

https://owlcation.com/humanities/wal...er-later-years

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...m-1402616.html

Old 03-16-2019, 07:09 PM

53,778 posts, read 52,747,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The Queen's mother never forgave Wallis Simpson, and blamed her for her husband, King George VI early death. He was never meant to be King, and was a nervous type, with a bad stammer. When his brother abdicated, he became a reluctant King.

He died of cancer from heavy smoking, but the stress of the job was what Queen Elizabeth blamed for it. That she felt was down to Wallis Simpson, and her marrying Edward VIII. He couldn't have the throne, and her as well.
Saw the movie.

Old Today, 12:24 PM

140 posts, read 35,028 times
I recall reading an interview with Gore Vidal. He mentioned in the article that he had met the Duke and Duchess of Windsor socially. Vidal said that what struck him was the vacuity of his conversation with the Duke.

As other posters have written, the Duke of Windsor was an intellectual lightweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or