U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM

15,115 posts, read 12,115,341 times

Advertisements

I had read about this mans philanderings and his daughters awful lobotomy that he insisted on,, leaving a beautiful girl with some learning difficulties into a vegetable.....

Joseph Kennedy knew how to make money. By the time he’d turned 25, he was already the president of a bank, the youngest in America. He got rich by working hard and making smart decisions, but he turned that wealth into a fortune by cheating on the stock market.Kennedy turned the stock market into a gold mine by using tricks that, today, are illegal. He used insider trading, created artificial scarcities to drive up stocks, and sold other ones short to drive them down. It was all unethical, but at the time, it wasn’t illegal, and Kennedy’s fortune soared. https://listverse.com/2017/01/11/10-...y-jfks-father/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 AM

11,751 posts, read 17,214,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I had read about this mans philanderings and his daughters awful lobotomy that he insisted on,, leaving a beautiful girl with some learning difficulties into a vegetable.....

Joseph Kennedy knew how to make money. By the time he’d turned 25, he was already the president of a bank, the youngest in America. He got rich by working hard and making smart decisions, but he turned that wealth into a fortune by cheating on the stock market.Kennedy turned the stock market into a gold mine by using tricks that, today, are illegal. He used insider trading, created artificial scarcities to drive up stocks, and sold other ones short to drive them down. It was all unethical, but at the time, it wasn’t illegal, and Kennedy’s fortune soared. https://listverse.com/2017/01/11/10-...y-jfks-father/
LOL! Most people outside of Massachusetts have little regard for the man, assuming they even know who he was.

Dizzy- I think it clear you are a wind up and dedicated to broadcasting the lowest common denominator of American history. Fine and dandy, but be careful lest it happen to you. There is a lot of ammo there.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM

23,754 posts, read 4,890,993 times
I bought a huge book at the used book online store...
The Kennedys, America's Emerald Kings

by Thomas Maier

A five generation look at their history...

Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! Most people outside of Massachusetts have little regard for the man, assuming they even know who he was.

Dizzy- I think it clear you are a wind up and dedicated to broadcasting the lowest common denominator of American history. Fine and dandy, but be careful lest it happen to you. There is a lot of ammo there.
No Im not Moth...I just like looking up bits and pieces of history... and dont give a damn what gets threw in my direction..or about my country.. its what went on and I can give many stories from this side of the pond of interest....For instance our own Bard Rabbie Burns... he was up to all high jinx with other women leaving quite a few carrying his children... he wasnt the nicest of people either but hailed as some wonderful clever poet. he was a whoremaster who couldnt keep it in his trousers but still celebrated every year on Burns night as some hero. all forgiven about his murky past with booze and women.. I dont mind its true....We had Kings with the same attitude who philandered with actresses etc..seems it went with the territory.. rich prominent men who took advantage of the situation.. The Kennedys however were an interesting family, as Id said earlier about Kick Kennedy who married into Aristocrasy here in the UK.. seems a lovely girl , well liked full of fun. but hardly knew a thing about her till I read online....I actually thought some on here would be happy Id did my homework and took an interest in US history. My next one is the wonderful Audie Murphy... a real hero.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM

10,793 posts, read 10,726,265 times
Joe Kennedy had the good sense to take his money out of the stock market before the crash of 1929 when he found out the guy shining his shoes was trading stocks. He kept his cash liquid when the market tanked, thus he had money to invest in his future bootlegging business. He lived in a time different from today and it is always unfair to judge history based on today's standards.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:02 AM

The loveliest of them all Rosemary Kennedy and her sad life.. Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter

Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 PM

19,014 posts, read 18,100,927 times
Someone said people from MA like him? We don't. He was in with the mob, for one thing. He also didn't support England prior to WWII.

He was very ambitious, pushed his kids way too hard, but he did somehow instill in them a sense of duty. And he instilled in them a sense of giving back.

BTW, he only wanted the best for poor Rosemary and back in those days lobotomy was "the best." He was trying to help her. What happened must have broken his heart.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Someone said people from MA like him? We don't. He was in with the mob, for one thing. He also didn't support England prior to WWII.

He was very ambitious, pushed his kids way too hard, but he did somehow instill in them a sense of duty. And he instilled in them a sense of giving back.

BTW, he only wanted the best for poor Rosemary and back in those days lobotomy was "the best." He was trying to help her. What happened must have broken his heart.
Maybe he did want the best for her ..others say she had become and embarrassment to her father as she was disappearing at night as a teenager.. but what a lovely girl and well liked too it seems....have you noticed in some photos how tall Rosemary became after the procedure.. so had a read about this..

on another patient who had a lobotomy.. If you saw me you’d never know I’d had a lobotomy,” Dully says. “The only thing you’d notice is that I’m very tall and weigh about 350 pounds. But I’ve always felt different — wondered if something’s missing from my soul. I have no memory of the operation, and never had the courage to ask my family about it…”scroll down this page to see the height Rosemary became after the operation. something I had never known about.. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-Shriver.html

Old 03-14-2019, 10:38 AM

5,592 posts, read 1,962,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I had read about this man...
The listicle you cite is almost completely plagiarized from Cecil Adams' column on the same subject. Just sayin'.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM

19,526 posts, read 12,779,450 times
Joe Kennedy was a pushy Irishman who made his money in whores and booze; then turned around using both money and (some) connections turned his family into some sort of American royalty.

Then it all fell apart....

If sins of the father are repaid upon the sons (and or daughters) then Kennedy clan has suffered in spades.

Assassinations, plane crashes, nasty and sorry private lives full of scandal, all have haunted the Kennedy family like a plague upon their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or