U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:01 PM

3,993 posts, read 1,274,874 times

Advertisements

So I watched the movie and then read the true story, but there is something I do not understand. How was Lt. Bligh, able to reach England, all the way from French Polynesia when all he had was a lifeboat, and not enough food?

It just doesn't seem possible to go all the way there, or at least it's not really explained. Even when I read the true story, all it says was that he reached England. But how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 07:09 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,547,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So I watched the movie and then read the true story, but there is something I do not understand. How was Lt. Bligh, able to reach England, all the way from French Polynesia when all he had was a lifeboat, and not enough food?

It just doesn't seem possible to go all the way there, or at least it's not really explained. Even when I read the true story, all it says was that he reached England. But how?
It's likely he made it to a South Pacific port and gained passage on a ship headed to England.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 PM

6,998 posts, read 4,429,245 times
That's amazing - I'm watching that movie right now!

After the mutiny, Bligh and his loyalists set off in search of a friendly port, but there weren't many in that part of the world at that time. He didn't have to make it all the way to England, but it must have seemed that way to them, because they had to sail almost 4000 miles before landing on a small island in the Dutch East Indies, just north of Australia. It took them a month and a half.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It's likely he made it to a South Pacific port and gained passage on a ship headed to England.
That's what I thought would make more sense, but it says we went all the way to England according to wikipedia.

Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

410 posts, read 265,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
That's what I thought would make more sense, but it says we went all the way to England according to wikipedia.

That's because you are just reading the movie entry in Wikipedia and not about the actual real event.

Bligh then undertook an arduous journey to the Dutch settlement of Coupang, located over 3,500 nautical miles (6,500 km) from Tofua. He safely landed there 47 days later, having lost no men during the voyage except the one killed on Tofua.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

10,126 posts, read 3,464,352 times
According to the Royal Museums Greenwich -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Museums Greenwich

After five months on Tahiti, master’s mate Fletcher Christian led a mutiny on board the Bounty on 28 April 1789. Eighteen mutineers set Bligh and 18 of his loyal crewmen adrift in a small boat. Bligh, however, was a skilled navigator and managed to sail them nearly 4000 miles to Timor, in the Dutch East Indies. From there, he brought his men back to England to report the mutiny, arriving 14 March 1790.

William Bligh | What happened to Captain Bligh of the Bounty? - Royal Museum Greenwich

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

11,719 posts, read 17,189,314 times
One must give Captain Bligh credit. Few could have pulled that off.

As for Fletcher Christian, the woman must have been something else to have exiled himself on Pitcairn Island.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

278 posts, read 50,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One must give Captain Bligh credit. Few could have pulled that off.

As for Fletcher Christian, the woman must have been something else to have exiled himself on Pitcairn Island.
Life on those ships was pretty awful. Bligh was described as an overbearing monster also.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Oh okay. The movie kind of skips past a lot of Bligh's journey it seems, and all of a sudden he is back in England, but wasn't sure if the island he landed on was part of England or not.

Also, when the movie ended they gave a subtitled epilogue about what happened to Christian and his crew after they landed on Pitcairn. So I then read what happened to Christian and his men after landing on Pitcairn and I thought that story sounded more interesting, and I wish that was in the movie too as perhaps the last half of the movie, rather than just having it as subtitles on the ending.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

11,719 posts, read 17,189,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Life on those ships was pretty awful. Bligh was described as an overbearing monster also.
I have never read the book. Nor have I studied the subject at all. Years ago, a fella who had told me that Bligh was quite typical of British ship captains at that time. His conduct was not unusual.

No idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History