U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM

447 posts, read 195,189 times

Advertisements

There are many parallels and overlaps in history. For example, Ivan the Terrible and Stefan Bathory. The both had the similar:
- years of life;
- appearance;
- political style.
But no one say that was the same man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 PM

299 posts, read 57,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i'm a huge history buff and have a penchant for crawling down rabbit holes...

i stumbled upon some work of Anatoly Fomenko and Gleb Nosofsky, a couple of russian mathematician, who seem to think that a huge part of our history has been, don't want to say 'faked' but has many, many factual errors. i'm just starting to dig into their research.

wondering if anyone has read any of their material, or thoughts on it....don't know if i buy it but it sure is thought provoking
The whole "all dating techniques are wrong" - carbon-dating, dendrochronology, numismatic, etc. - demonstrates that New Chronology possesses all the intellectual rigor of Young Earth Creationism. Which is to say, none at all.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:46 PM

4,845 posts, read 2,090,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Folsom Points. An observant slave-born cowboy said "Hmmm . .." and completely overturned the presumptions about when man first came to the Americas.

There are hidden facts not yet brought to view.
There are also facts that get distorted to the point that many so called "historians" rewrite history to suit their own agenda.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:28 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,342,404 times
The general notion is probably that Russian mathematicians would not be our first source for the study of history. I like some rabbit hole exploration myself at times but leave breadcrumbs to find a way out. Please report back to us from this particular rabbit hole. Sometimes there are nuggets down there and sometimes Fool's Gold.

I wrote a term paper in high school in the early 1960s about the Japanese "discovery" of America -- landing on the coast of today's Ecuador, near Guayaquil. I got a few stares and comments ("Boy, we got a live one here - get the net"). Decades later DNA tests show traces of Japanese-source DNA in isolated small indigenous populations in Ecuador that are dated to somewhere about 3000 years ago. I guess the "discoverers" never bothered to make the return trip.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:33 AM

5,640 posts, read 1,988,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The general notion is probably that Russian mathematicians would not be our first source for the study of history.
Just as a botanist is probably not the most reliable starting point for a study of ESP.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,018,669 times
Quote:
...i'm a huge history buff and have a penchant for crawling down rabbit holes...

i stumbled upon some work of Anatoly Fomenko and Gleb Nosofsky, a couple of russian mathematician, who seem to think that a huge part of our history has been, don't want to say 'faked' but has many, many factual errors. i'm just starting to dig into their research.

wondering if anyone has read any of their material, or thoughts on it....don't know if i buy it but it sure is thought provoking
I was just listening to a podcast where the guest was a researcher on this subject. It is a popular conspiracy podcast so take it for what you will. But this guest has written books and done a lot more research then I have on the validity of the history that we are all taught. He claims to have fact checked many common accepted history back as far as he can and you always get back to something based on theory and assumptions and not fact. Like us pretending to know anything about what happened in ancient Egypt for example and accepting it as fact is kind of crazy because there is no hard evidence about the people that lived at that time. There are even climatologists who now have questioned the age of the pyramids and sphinxes and have made arguments based on erosion that they may be up to 10 thousand years older then what is currently accepted as fact. I constantly am finding out things even about relatively modern history that aren't widely taught. I'm in my 40's and I just recently started learning about Jack Parsons who founded JPL, is the godfather of space flight and was a major occultist. He made some of the most significant contributions to our society but he was never mentioned in any history books I read in school. There are a lot of facts that are conveniently left out of what is taught in mainstream history which does make you question what is truly fact and who is determined or verified any of it. But anyway, here's the podcast I was mentioning if you like rabbit holes:

https://www.thehighersidechats.com/j...ireframe-mesh/

Old 03-20-2019, 10:34 PM

43 posts, read 12,862 times
Quote:
...i'm a huge history buff and have a penchant for crawling down rabbit holes... Fomenko and Nosofsky... i'm just starting to dig into their research.

Hi,
Yes, I've read Fomenko's book.
I'm not a mathematician or astronomer, so I can't comment on that part of his argumentation, but anything and everything that is based on his linguistic "research" - which is one of the keystones of his theories - is total b0ll0cks.

I can't give you concrete examples, as I don't have access to the book, but it is always invariably something very amateurish, like falling for false etymology, being completely unaware of the very basics of linguistic theory (like the Great Vowel Shift), etc.

I might be overgeneralizing, but if someone sticks to demonstrable lunacy in even a small part of their argumentation, for me this automatically casts doubt on the whole research.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

6,372 posts, read 10,442,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
There are also facts that get distorted to the point that many so called "historians" rewrite history to suit their own agenda.

"Fact": one man's "historian" is another man's "political consultant".

Or is it the same "man"?

Hahaha!!!

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,090,608 times
Here is a good example of an author trying to distort history.....

https://cross-currents.berkeley.edu/...oman-and-kulik

https://www.prlog.org/12529094-agree...-massacre.html

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,018,669 times
"history is written by the victors"

There are two sides to every story but we are generally only taught one side in school. I worked in Russia for several months a few years back and got to know several people that I was working with every day over there. I spent a lot of time at work and outside of work with those people and talked a lot about life growing up, politics etc. It was interesting to see how they were taught completely different versions of the same historical events from what I was taught growing up. Of course you can say that's because they were taught propaganda by the USSR government but we are taught propaganda as well. The version of history that we are taught is designed to make us good Americans and be in line with the official stories of our government. Living in a major U.S. metropolis I've gotten to know people who grew up in dozens of different countries in western and eastern Europe, Asia, South America etc and I've found that everyone is taught a world history that is slanted toward the nationalist view of where they grew up. So that in itself means there is not one history. There is a lot that is open to interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History