U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2019, 01:54 PM
 
11,828 posts, read 17,991,444 times
Reputation: 17912

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Finland, not Norway.
Ah yes. I stand corrected. In before the edit post deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2019, 03:17 PM
 
Location: London
4,104 posts, read 3,495,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I am not sure what the last bullet point is supposed to mean. Greece, Crete, the Channel Islands and North Africa were not an extension of Germany's borders.
Germany did not venture into the Far East. All expansion/fighting was on Axis borders.

The US effectively only made one tank in numbers, the Sherman, then a few Stuarts with a few very small light tanks. The Soviets made a number of tanks: KV1, T-34, IS2.

Self propelled guns are not tanks.

The Soviet lines were north to south with them having only a western front. The western front had northern and southern sections.

The FW-200 (Condor) was a 4 engined airliner used temporarily in a bombing role. From the middle of 1941 Condors were not used in the attacking role. It was not a dedicated designed bomber.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-11-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,048 posts, read 4,452,723 times
Reputation: 15645
The Soviets were only fighting on one front, but - they were fighting 3/4 of the German Army. When Montgomery and the rest of the Allied Forces came ashore in Normandy on D Day, there were 59 German divisions in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, and 157 in the Soviet Union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 PM
 
Location: London
4,104 posts, read 3,495,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
- The He 177 was in practical terms a 4-engine bomber, as it had 2-welded together engines x2 but with two propellers.
A V engine can also be described as two joined engines. The Triumph slant 4 car engine, also used in SAABs, was used in a V-8 engine using two of them, that is not two engines. The British Napier engine was two cranks in one block, again not two engines. A 4-engined bomber is four engines turning four props. The He-177s problems were only rectified as the war was ending - engines would burst into flames in flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,348 posts, read 3,163,412 times
Reputation: 6975
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Germany did not venture into the Far East. All expansion/fighting was on Axis borders.

The US effectively only made one tank in numbers, the Sherman, then a few Stuarts with a few very small light tanks. The Soviets made a number of tanks: KV1, T-34, IS2.

Self propelled guns are not tanks.

The Soviet lines were north to south with them having only a western front. The western front had northern and southern sections.

The FW-200 (Condor) was a 4 engined airliner used temporarily in a bombing role. From the middle of 1941 Condors were not used in the attacking role. It was not a dedicated designed bomber.


Well they did on a very limited basis with submarines. There was a repair base in Singapore utilizing the old Royal Navy facilities and another in Penang Malaya. Way back in the 60's when I was stationed in Singapore I heard stories from a much older Eurasian women about how the Japanese held social events for the U boat men while ashore. Didn't believe it until I looked it up and did some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 03:01 AM
 
Location: London
4,104 posts, read 3,495,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well they did on a very limited basis with submarines. There was a repair base in Singapore utilizing the old Royal Navy facilities and another in Penang Malaya. Way back in the 60's when I was stationed in Singapore I heard stories from a much older Eurasian women about how the Japanese held social events for the U boat men while ashore. Didn't believe it until I looked it up and did some research.
They did operate a number of U-Boats from Penang. No German or Italian ground troops were in the Far East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 AM
 
Location: London
4,104 posts, read 3,495,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Germany developed the V1 and V2 rocket weapons which ushered in a new approach to warfare. German rocket scientists were an important "war prize" for the allies.
For the Americans maybe. The British didn't think too much of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 04:23 AM
 
Location: London
4,104 posts, read 3,495,527 times
Reputation: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
the shift to turretless armored vehicles was a deliberate policy.
An economic policy, as most were based on a cheap Panzer III chassis', to get a powerful gun quickly to locations. It was not a military policy, as they wanted proper tanks.

This guy at 34 min 22 secs explains tanks:

Last edited by John-UK; 03-12-2019 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 AM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,084 posts, read 759,286 times
Reputation: 11476
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Germany developed the V1 and V2 rocket weapons which ushered in a new approach to warfare. German rocket scientists were an important "war prize" for the allies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
For the Americans maybe. The British didn't think too much of them.
Yet again, you're wrong. Completely and totally wrong. No surprise.

Quote:
Operation Backfire, organized by the British authorities immediately after the end of hostilities in Europe, was designed to completely evaluate the entire V-2 assembly, interrogate German personnel specialized in all phases of it, and then actually launch several missiles across the North Sea. The Allies Learn To Launch an Aero–Ballistic Guided Missile was a British project officially designated as “Operation Backfire” was initiated to provide the knowledge and skills of guided ballistic missiles. Following the successful conclusion of the tests, the War Office in London issued a 5-volume report detailing these operations.
V2ROCKET.COM - Operation Backfire at Altenwalde/Cuxhaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 PM
 
12 posts, read 1,739 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Self propelled guns are not tanks.

Ok. I will relegate the UK cruiser tanks to the tankette role, and the Churchill series to moving casemates.

Then Germany produced more tanks than the UK.



Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
A V engine can also be described as two joined engines. The Triumph slant 4 car engine, also used in SAABs, was used in a V-8 engine using two of them, that is not two engines. The British Napier engine was two cranks in one block, again not two engines. A 4-engined bomber is four engines turning four props. The He-177s problems were only rectified as the war was ending - engines would burst into flames in flight.

The powerplants of the He 177 weren't V engines. They were four DB 605 engines working together with two propellers which had had more power combined than the four Rolls-Royce XX engines used on Lancasters. The He 177 was also at least 60 mph faster than the Lanc or B-17



Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The FW-200 (Condor) was a 4 engined airliner used temporarily in a bombing role. From the middle of 1941 Condors were not used in the attacking role. It was not a dedicated designed bomber.

Well, duh. You like to change classifications. Good luck then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top