Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM

5,448 posts, read 6,236,688 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading this article and thought I would post it for all. It's an amazing read, well worth it. The letter in the beginning brought a tear to my eye. What a very different and much greater America we were then...the WWII generation truly earned and deserved the title "The Greatest Generation."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/m...t-carrier.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:50 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,996,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I just finished reading this article and thought I would post it for all. It's an amazing read, well worth it. The letter in the beginning brought a tear to my eye. What a very different and much greater America we were then...the WWII generation truly earned and deserved the title "The Greatest Generation."

thanks...……..if that letter does not bring tears. you are not human...…….

Old 03-13-2019, 08:28 PM

4,177 posts, read 4,419,705 times
Thank you that was fascinating and moving. I wish there was more of this kind of substantial content in news on a regular basis - contextual and very informative. My father served in Pacific Theater from mid 1943 to late 1944 with Army Air Force and in his later years would talk a little about what he experienced. He talked of terrible landings from the LSTs in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. My mom would tell us stories about him rolling out of bed whenever an airplane would fly over the house during night time and nightmares when she would have to wake him from reliving something horrific.

Too many fail to understand the sacrifices throughout history of those before them, and the letter - in particular, is likely to not be allowed to be read in a public school nowadays from all the numbskulls with emotional disabilities rather than experiencing history as it was.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,465,566 times
Have you seen this? They have discovered the wreckage of the USS Hornet

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/wrecka...in-expedition/

Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,041,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post

It was written as if he knew he would not be seeing his son again.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,710,817 times
Great article, great find, and Paul Allen doesn't get half the appreciation he deserves.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:24 PM

128 posts, read 112,424 times
Thank you for the link. I love reading about WW2 and its history...that was a great read.

I have so much respect for that generation. Truly amazing people.

Again thank you for the link.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:09 PM

8,429 posts, read 6,812,988 times
Just hope this valiant old ship is deep enough that pirate salvagers don’t get to her. Unfortunately this has happened to other historic WWII warships.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 AM

13,383 posts, read 28,655,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Just hope this valiant old ship is deep enough that pirate salvagers don’t get to her. Unfortunately this has happened to other historic WWII warships.
Last year this team found my uncle's ship, The USS Juneau. Your thoughts mirror my own, that the dead won't be disturbed by scavengers.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,710,817 times
I don't think there are many scavengers who can reach ships at several thousand feet. The only rewards for scavenging a ship are to get scrap and artifacts with no provenance, which are worth the effort when ships are shallow, or to bring up provenanced artifacts, which would have negative worth when taken from war-grave ships. Even the stuff 'legitimately' taken from Titanic has a clouded image; some people would not visit the traveling exhibit because it was grave-robbing. That would go triple for military vessels such as Wasp and Juneau, and the USN would not stand around idle besides.

I like to think those sites are safe from all but the biggest idiots, and Davy Jones waits for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History