U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 AM

11,846 posts, read 5,023,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They did a pretty good job in Ethiopia defeating Haile Sellasie’s donkey riding spear throwers. Things went downhill real fast though when they came up against a modern army.
Exactly. They had what they needed to defeat primitive armies in Africa. That's what Mussolini had planned for, not fighting another European war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 AM

4,727 posts, read 1,956,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Because Christians especially Catholics are soft warriors. Christianity softened and doomed the Roman Empire. Catholics relied on keeping their population uneducated and poor to flex their will upon them. In the face of strength the Christian ideology crumbles like a communion wafer.
Your observation about Christianity weakening the warriors resolve deserves credit. The average Italian was a good deal more superstitious than educated Europeans are nowadays. It's worth mentioning that the Austrians were having trouble breaking the Italian lines at Caporetto until they were reinforced by Germans. In WW2 a close relative who was in the Italian army told me that he had no shoes. That could be indicative of how well the average Italian soldier was equipped to handle the enemy and the elements. This same relative told me that Italy had artillery that could shoot seven kilometers. The British artillery could shoot twenty five kilometers. It's like going into a sword fight with a buck knife.

Aside from family recollections, analysts mention that the average Italian soldier did not have adequate education to handle or repair WW1 or WW2 equipment. I mention WW1 equipment because Italian equipment in WW2 was partially of WW1 vintage.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 AM

4,727 posts, read 1,956,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Exactly. They had what they needed to defeat primitive armies in Africa. That's what Mussolini had planned for, not fighting another European war.

Spot on. The Italians attacked the British in British Somali Land. The British attacked the Italians in the well established Italian colony of Eritrea. Between well equipped Indian regulars with British officers and the British navy on the coast, the Italians got pushed back to the coast where the British navy was waiting.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM

898 posts, read 540,019 times
Quote:
They did a pretty good job in Ethiopia defeating Haile Sellasie’s donkey riding spear throwers. Things went downhill real fast though when they came up against a modern army.
Even there they had to "cheat" through the indiscriminate use of mustard gas.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:43 PM

38 posts, read 6,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Same can be said of that other Latin group, the French. Could explain why Prussia and later Germany kept invading and occupying that country most recently during WWII.

If the USA hadn't stepped in (again) things might look very different today for France. Even still that nation again is convulsing and heaving under another invasion; this time from migrants.

That is just stupid stereotyping and deliberate belittling.

Well let me try: what was the American contribution in WWI? One small victory in some Belleau forest where the French and British did all the hard work, lol! And also in WWII the US arrived mainly only after when the actual fighting was over. Yeah, you did really well fighting kids and old men in 1944-1945. Curtis LeMay had to fly in a B-17 himself in order to force the US airmen to drive home their bombing runs, because the pilots were so cowardly that they made excuses all the time that their planes got engine failures so they wouldn't be forced to fly over enemy territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The Italians are lovers.... not fighters.

The Americans are morbidly obese sheep touting their guns in a Walmart motorised cart... not fighters. How do you like stereotyping now?

I'm obviously not seriously of this opinion, but if you have no respect for your allies, why should they have any respect towards you?

What I've heard from Americans who have served in the armed forces together with the French, Italians, Spaniards, Danish, Canadians and other people in Iraq and Afghanistan, they hold their international allies in high regard. Meanwhile the American keyboard warriors, I doubt the US military veterans give any attention to them...

Last edited by Thor herself; 04-09-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 PM

9,014 posts, read 2,942,332 times
Quote:
Another activity of the Italian Army in Africa, was to use the face of the Sphinx for target practice with their machine guns. That's one main reason it looks so beat-up today.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Another activity of the Italian Army in Africa, was to use the face of the Sphinx for target practice with their machine guns. That's one main reason it looks so beat-up today.
I don't know where or from who you heard that from but it's not true. Even rumors of Napoleons army using the sphinx's face as target practice aren't true. There is a detailed drawing of the Sphinx done by Frederick Nordon an artist and architect. The drawing was done in the 1730s and published in the 1750s showing the head of the Sphinx very much how it is today without a nose and much damage to the face.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:58 AM

6,556 posts, read 10,628,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What Italy did before WWII

The first high-speed train was the Italian ETR 200, which in July 1939 went from Milan to Florence at 165 km/h (103 mph), with a top speed of 203 km/h (126 mph). With this service, the railway was able to compete with the upcoming airplanes.

Mussolini "instituted a program of public works hitherto unrivaled in modern Europe. Bridges, canals and roads were built, hospitals and schools, railway stations and orphanages; swamps were drained and land reclaimed, forests were planted and universities were endowed".

Larger programs began in the 1930s with the Bonifica Integrale land reclamation program (or so-called "Battle for Land"), which was employing over 78,000 people by 1933; the Mezzogiorno policies to modernize southern Italy and attack the Mafia as per capita income in the south was still 40% below that of the north; the electrification of the railways and similar transport programs; hydroelectrical projects; and the chemical industry, automobiles and steel. There was also limited takeover of strategic areas, notably oil with the creation of Agip (Azienda Generale Italiana Petroli—General Italian Oil Company).

--------------------
To summarize and expand on the above post, the government of that time in 1933 set up Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale (IRI - Industrial Reconstruction Agency), a vast state-holding company for strategic industrial enterprises, as well as passed in 1936 the Legge Bancaria (Banking Law), roughly analogous to Glass-Steagall in the US a few years earlier.

In short, these industrial and financial policies streamlined the strategic sectors of the Italian economy and laid down its framework which lasted into the early 1990s. Romano Prodi, former prime minister and European Commission president, had been previously head of IRI.

If Sig. Mussolini had remained neutral in WWII, like Salazar and Franco, chances are that he would have remained in power well into the 1950s, maybe even the 1960s or 1970s like they did.

"Follow me to success, but kill me if I fail ... oh yeah!"

Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
To summarize and expand on the above post, the government of that time in 1933 set up Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale (IRI - Industrial Reconstruction Agency), a vast state-holding company for strategic industrial enterprises, as well as passed in 1936 the Legge Bancaria (Banking Law), roughly analogous to Glass-Steagall in the US a few years earlier.

In short, these industrial and financial policies streamlined the strategic sectors of the Italian economy and laid down its framework which lasted into the early 1990s. Romano Prodi, former prime minister and European Commission president, had been previously head of IRI.

If Sig. Mussolini had remained neutral in WWII, like Salazar and Franco, chances are that he would have remained in power well into the 1950s, maybe even the 1960s or 1970s like they did.

I don't doubt it. He was at least somewhat popular in Italy for the reasons of placing emphasis on infrastructure and modernizing the country, not because he had grand intentions of invading other European countries. It was of course an extremely stupid move to align with Hitler. Hitler had many European leaders fooled as far as what his long term intentions were including some politicians in Britain and France. It wasn't until he attacked Poland his utter brutality and ambitions were made clear. Early on, Mussolini was a believer that Hitler would win a limited war even with Britain, and being Hitler's buddy was going to bring him many good things. Things just might have turned out that way if Hitler hadn't invaded Russia and the U.S. stayed out of it. One on one, Britain was not going to defeat Germany and Mussolini was there to pick up any left overs scraps in Africa and the island of Malta from Britain.

Last edited by marino760; 04-10-2019 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

20,552 posts, read 13,576,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

One of the best GD Italian films, period!

But why choose just one quote?

Oh yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx2GoEV5yf0

IMHO Pasqualino Settebellezze represented a good part of Italian military and or male citizens at the time. Guys who just wanted to survive the GD times and hopefully get something out of it for themselves and family.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 04-10-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or