U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:27 PM

2,801 posts, read 4,222,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The combined South’s economic output is the largest in the US and the it’s the fastest growing region. So there’s that.

Where's the proof?

What about innovation? Does the south create anything new that keeps the US globally competitive/relevant?

Without including Texas (that's the southwest), the South is indeed way behind the other US regions.
These are the facts. The list of US metro areas with the largest GDP are as follows:
1. New York/New Jersey
2. Los Angeles/OC
3. Chicago
4. Dallas

5. Washington DC
6. San Francisco/Oakland
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Boston
10. Atlanta
11. Seattle
12.Miami
13. San Jose
14. Detroit
15. Minneapolis
16. Phoenix
17. San Diego
18. Denver
19. Portland

As I said, "the North" is the real engine the makes America great. The south is dead weight that needs to be cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

7,896 posts, read 3,145,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Where's the proof?

What about innovation? Does the south create anything new that keeps the US globally competitive/relevant?

Without including Texas (that's the southwest), the South is indeed way behind the other US regions.
These are the facts. The list of US metro areas with the largest GDP are as follows:
1. New York/New Jersey
2. Los Angeles/OC
3. Chicago
4. Dallas

5. Washington DC
6. San Francisco/Oakland
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Boston
10. Atlanta
11. Seattle
12.Miami
13. San Jose
14. Detroit
15. Minneapolis
16. Phoenix
17. San Diego
18. Denver
19. Portland

As I said, "the North" is the real engine the makes America great. The south is dead weight that needs to be cut.
I think your politics are clouding reality. The American South: the World's Third Largest Economy - Southern Auto Corridor
You can verify this by looking up the GDP of every state in each region and adding them together. You’re just looking at individual cities (a lot of which are in Texas and Florida).
The “north has been dying for decades...
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewtr...kforce%3famp=1
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/23/72590...opulation-data

As far as innovation, I don’t know what real innovation is going on in Vermont or New Hampshire, but I’m still ok with not cutting them loose.
I like all US states regardless of political ideology or economic output.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 05-30-2019 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-30-2019, 01:53 PM

3,758 posts, read 3,481,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think your politics are clouding reality. The American South: the World's Third Largest Economy - Southern Auto Corridor
You can verify this by looking up the GDP of every state in each region and adding them together. You’re just looking at individual cities (a lot of which are in Texas and Florida).
The “north has been dying for decades...
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewtr...kforce%3famp=1
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/23/72590...opulation-data

As far as innovation, I don’t know what real innovation is going on in Vermont or New Hampshire, but I’m still ok with not cutting them loose.
I like all US states regardless of political ideology or economic output.
Vermont has Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

The population is definitely moving south and west.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:51 AM

15,587 posts, read 6,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The United States was built on compromise. Without this concept, we would have long ago fragmented into several nations, indeed would never have come together as one country at all. Traditional nationstates were usually a single ethnicity and culture, and they grew by conquering and culturally absorbing (or eradicating) their neighbors. We grew by adapting to the diversity of the multitudinous components of the whole, albeit of course the Indian cultures were conquered and eradicated or isolated onto reservations as too different to absorb.
I agree and don't have much to add.

Quote:
Today, poor education has produced several generations of fools, unable or unwilling to accept differences. We have departed from "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" (Evelyn Beatrice Hall) and moved toward "25% of our country are deplorable and irredeemable" (Clinton) or "47% will vote for this President no matter what because they are dependent on the government" (Romney). We see people in the streets rioting to prevent a conservative speaker from addressing a lecture hall, we have miraculous technologies for sharing information and we use them to suppress and ban voices with whom we disagree!

Learn from the past, people! Don't make the same mistakes as were made in the 1850s.

This has been a public service announcement.
I will agree with you today extend that "he who does not know his history is doomed to repeat it.” However, I think you idealize the past. "Sedition" legislation during and after WW I, McCarthyism, Japanese exclusion during World War II, and the 60s mantra of "don't trust anyone over thirty” were certainly not models of toleration of other points of view. I remember, during my time at Cornell in the late 1970's, speakers such as Milton Friedman being shouted down because he advised Pinochet's Chile and the apartheid regime in South Africa. I keep to the position that “for more things change the more things stay the same.”

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Removed extra quote tag

Old 06-01-2019, 06:56 AM

15,587 posts, read 6,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Really, only the states of Alabama, Mississippi, and maybe or Arkansas or South Carolina fit your description. There is no way that Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia or Tennessee “dead weight.”

Old 06-01-2019, 06:24 PM

3,758 posts, read 3,481,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Really, only the states of Alabama, Mississippi, and maybe or Arkansas or South Carolina fit your description. There is no way that Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia or Tennessee “dead weight.”
What about all the military bases in the southern states? What about the fact that the South including the poorest states supplies a disproportionate number of soldiers who are sent abroad and killed in wars like Iraq and Afghanistan? What about aerospace plants, car factories, call centers, food growers and agribusinesses?

It's ridiculous to say any state in this great country is dead weight, and the person who did is obviously trolling.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:04 AM

9,129 posts, read 9,215,624 times
Quote:
What about all the military bases in the southern states? What about the fact that the South including the poorest states supplies a disproportionate number of soldiers who are sent abroad and killed in wars like Iraq and Afghanistan? What about aerospace plants, car factories, call centers, food growers and agribusinesses?

It's ridiculous to say any state in this great country is dead weight, and the person who did is obviously trolling.
Certain people on the right do suggest that states like California and New York are dead weight and full of a combination of ultra-liberals and welfare recipients.

Personally, I don't like this business of demonizing people in any state or any region of the country. I don't like certain POV, but I don't demonize people just because they live in a certain part of the USA.

I know people who live in both Mississippi and Alabama who are not ultra-conservatives and who are good citizens. I also know people in my own state who I would call dead weight.

Sectionalism is a bad thing. Its one of the things that lead to the Civil War.

That is a lesson that many seem to have forgotten.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM

5,361 posts, read 6,490,971 times
Quote:

that part from the OP I find offensive. I am with our other poster. I like all states, one way or another they are all special and part of our whole great land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or