U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 AM

4,336 posts, read 3,626,360 times

Advertisements

Stone Henge in its prime must have been something to see. There are a few replicas. The replica in Esperance, Australia is the only one aligned with the stars, sun, etc.

Esperance Stone Henge | Closer than you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 AM

17,739 posts, read 53,869,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Stone Henge in its prime must have been something to see. There are a few replicas. The replica in Esperance, Australia is the only one aligned with the stars, sun, etc.

Esperance Stone Henge | Closer than you think
I'm becoming more convinced that Stonehenge, as it remains, is the core of a taller and larger wooden building. I found the model speculations interesting, but find the unfinished and crude shapes of the stones as compelling that they were not intended to be a finished visible structure.

Previous digs, scavenging, and reconstruction may have forever obliterated faint traces that prove the theory. The pyramids had their limestone sheaths, stonehenge might have had a building over it, or have been covered with an early form of stucco/adobe/wattle&daub. I find the idea that the raw stones were the finished structure highly improbable.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 AM

4,336 posts, read 3,626,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wear slip resistant shoes as the marble steps are worn so smooth as to be slippery even with running shoes.
Is this a full scale reproduction, or just the outside?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 AM

5,610 posts, read 3,603,509 times
Not a building, but I would love to see the Garden of Eden, before the Fall.

Also not a building, at least not in the sense that the OP presumably intended, but there are many ships that I would love to see, some ancient and some closer to modern-day. Some of the ancient ones that I'd like to see include Noah's Ark (the replica in Kentucky is quite impressive), the ship on which the Apostle Paul was shipwrecked, a Chinese treasure ship, a Korean turtle ship, the Mayflower, and the Caledonia (a sailing ship on which my ancestors first came to the New World). And a whole lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or