U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 10:42 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,383,606 times

Advertisements

My mother in law died a little over a year ago and we're just now getting ready to sell the house and we're in the process of moving everything out.

Goodwill gets a bunch and all children and grandchildren take what they want.

I happened upon a stack of half a dozen newspapers, the full newspaper and not just the front page, and here is one example:

https://i.imgur.com/z6awBpk.jpg

This almost got tossed out with the junk!

The Indianapolis Star special edition celebrating VJ Day and the end of the war in the pacific with the *** surrender.

I also have the Indianapolis Star celebrating our victory in Europe over the Nazi's.

Also about four papers covering the Kennedy assassination.

Not a huge collection, about ten papers in all, but the important stuff.

I am going to get newspaper frames and hang them on the walls of my home office.

Why did she keep these? Nobody knows for sure but her future husband was serving in the Pacific at the time.

Last edited by nicet4; 04-29-2019 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 19,047,193 times
lucky!

i would love to have those.
2-3 years ago i tore a bunch of old linoleum out of the utility room floor of my current house, built around 1942. turns out they had used layers of newspaper underneath to provide padding. i didn't find anything as cool as your example, but it was fun to read old snuffy smith comics and various ads from 1943 from newspapers that went out of business many years ago.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:34 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
How wonderful to have those....

the end of the war was long in coming and there was much celebration. Enough to keep the papers...plus sinking of the Indianapolis was huge too.

Save newspapers correctly, as they become fragile. Archival materials, ie special tape, papers etc., can be found online with instructions.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,383,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
How wonderful to have those....

the end of the war was long in coming and there was much celebration. Enough to keep the papers...plus sinking of the Indianapolis was huge too.

Save newspapers correctly, as they become fragile. Archival materials, ie special tape, papers etc., can be found online with instructions.
I think given the age, 74 years, they are in pretty good shape. A little yellowing but all in all not bad.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 PM

5,077 posts, read 2,225,843 times
I have a paper dated August 31,1939. Toward the bottom of the first page is a small article reporting the Germans claimed polish soldiers had attacked a small German out post........

Old 04-30-2019, 02:02 AM

571 posts, read 390,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Why did she keep these? Nobody knows for sure but her future husband was serving in the Pacific at the time.
Almost everyone kept these things. They were important historical events and important memories.

When I was a kid my parents bought a house that had belonged an elderly couple. They left a steamer trunk in the attic. When I went through it discovered old newspapers for V-E and V-J Day. There were also old Life and Look magazines for the Kennedy assassination and Man on the Moon. RFK and MLK's assassinations and other historical events. I still have these items.

I'm only jealous of a man who lives near me: About three years ago after he moved into an old house and was remodeling it, he discovered a hidden wall. Behind the wall was about 9 cases of 85-year-old bourbon that was left over from Prohibition. It must be as smooth as water by now and worth a small fortune. Apparently, the owner of the house died in the 1920's and no one discovered his secret hooch stash until about 2016.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

348 posts, read 59,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
My mother in law died a little over a year ago and we're just now getting ready to sell the house and we're in the process of moving everything out.

Goodwill gets a bunch and all children and grandchildren take what they want.

I happened upon a stack of half a dozen newspapers, the full newspaper and not just the front page, and here is one example:

https://i.imgur.com/z6awBpk.jpg

This almost got tossed out with the junk!

The Indianapolis Star special edition celebrating VJ Day and the end of the war in the pacific with the *** surrender.

I also have the Indianapolis Star celebrating our victory in Europe over the Nazi's.

Also about four papers covering the Kennedy assassination.

Not a huge collection, about ten papers in all, but the important stuff.

I am going to get newspaper frames and hang them on the walls of my home office.

I noticed in the bottom left of the Indy newspaper a little blurb called "Jim Crow Says". Is this a coincidence with Jim Crow treatment of black Americans?

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

642 posts, read 156,183 times
You might consider getting them deacidified if you want to keep them a long time.

Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

12,570 posts, read 16,662,263 times
Somewhere around here I have, I think, a box of old newspapers. I don't remember what the subjects were, or where the box went to, but here's four of them I had pics of. I think I had planned to try and sell them but :
Attached Thumbnails
Stumbled upon this historical pile of newspapers over the weekend!-news-aj-moon-awaits.jpg   Stumbled upon this historical pile of newspapers over the weekend!-news-aj-nov-7-68.jpg   Stumbled upon this historical pile of newspapers over the weekend!-news-nov-6-68.jpg   Stumbled upon this historical pile of newspapers over the weekend!-np-san-diego-union-dec-23  

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

8,598 posts, read 3,032,047 times
And we all have newspapers.com, which is a time sink you can vanish into.

Nothing like the real thing, but hundreds of thousands of facsimiles come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History