U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 6,267,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't say it did. I said the LoN failed abysmally at this top-level priority in less than 20 years, despite being essentially a European organization.

In 75 years, we've had few years free of major wars (if any)... but we didn't get into WWIII by 1965, and anyone who knows the history of that era knows that international communication and awareness played a large part in navigating those rocks. We also haven't had any wars get past regional conflicts, with most involving one and only one border.

Something made that happen. It wasn't The Bomb by itself and it wasn't mod culture.
I think the fact that the U.S. caved on Hungary (1956), Suez (also 1956) and Cuba (1959-62) played a far larger role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM

8,641 posts, read 3,053,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think the fact that the U.S. caved on Hungary (1956), Suez (also 1956) and Cuba (1959-62) played a far larger role.
The alternative being flipping bombs back and forth, which came close to happening in at least two of those, would seem to be the greater loss. But if you think the UN is/has been useless, I leave you to it.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 AM

4,360 posts, read 3,655,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Suez was a British, French and Israeli operation. The Egyptians were cosying up to the USSR. The Soviets were building the Aswan dam and supplying arms.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 AM

15,924 posts, read 6,267,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Suez was a British, French and Israeli operation. The Egyptians were cosying up to the USSR. The Soviets were building the Aswan dam and supplying arms.
The U.S. pulled the plug on the British, French and Israeli Suez operation.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Seems that Hollywood has really annoyed some of our Brit cousins over the years.
Can hardly blame them though, especially after Gregory Peck being cast as Horatio Hornblower, Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian, and Mel Gibson as Willie Wallace (plus missing that famous bridge).

But then again, Tinseltown has always been an equal opportunity distortion expert by casting a Brit to play the secesh southern gentleman Ashley Wilkes in GWTW, and the Tasmanian devil may care Aussie Errol Flynn as the overrated General George Armstrong Custer. Not to mention the Italian fraud Chief Iron Eyes Cody.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM

4,874 posts, read 3,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Seems that Hollywood has really annoyed some of our Brit cousins over the years.
Can hardly blame them though, especially after Gregory Peck being cast as Horatio Hornblower, Marlon Brando as Fletcher Christian, and Mel Gibson as Willie Wallace (plus missing that famous bridge).

But then again, Tinseltown has always been an equal opportunity distortion expert by casting a Brit to play the secesh southern gentleman Ashley Wilkes in GWTW, and the Tasmanian devil may care Aussie Errol Flynn as the overrated General George Armstrong Custer. Not to mention the Italian fraud Chief Iron Eyes Cody.

There was World War II film called Operation Burma made around 1945 that raised the hackles of the Brits to a considerable degree. The storyline revolved around a group of American commandos who parachute into Burma to destroy a Japanese radar site.

The British were really annoyed and rightly so by the fact that not a single British serviceman was included in the script despite the fact that Burma was almost exclusively fought by British and Indian troops. In the end the British government banned the film from showing in the UK.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM

8,385 posts, read 8,379,009 times
Yeah, that one was laughably fictitious. Don't know why anyone would take Hollywood seriously when it comes to actual history.
Then there was a more recent one about the capture of a U-Boat.

On a related note - my Dad's lifelong friend flew C-47s and C-54 over The Hump to China back then. My brother owns the Colt 1911 & shoulder rig that he carried for the duration.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 AM

9,200 posts, read 9,278,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't say it did. I said the LoN failed abysmally at this top-level priority in less than 20 years, despite being essentially a European organization.

In 75 years, we've had few years free of major wars (if any)... but we didn't get into WWIII by 1965, and anyone who knows the history of that era knows that international communication and awareness played a large part in navigating those rocks. We also haven't had any wars get past regional conflicts, with most involving one and only one border.

Something made that happen. It wasn't The Bomb by itself and it wasn't mod culture.
Its complicated, but I think major wars were averted for a series of reasons.

First, none of the super powers really wanted one. What we all had were certain desires to increase our influence and maintain our power. The Soviets were primarily interested in eastern Europe. As long as we left that alone, they had little desire for conflict.

Second, the leadership of both America and the Soviet Union had the memory of World War II. The Soviets lost 26 million people in that war. We lost 400,000. Even so, just losses of 400,000 were deep enough to reach into many families. It was enough that both sides knew total war could lead to massive death and destruction.

Third, the UN did help on some level, even though its promise has never been fully realized. It provides a forum through which nations can speak to one another.

Fourth, the NATO Alliance was further deterrence to the Soviet Union against starting some kind of conflict with the West.

Fifth, we were fortunate in the respect that we had no borders with the Soviet Union that really meant anything. The Bering Strait was never going to be a flashpoint that would lead to a war. There was enough distance between the two super powers that we could do our own thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or