U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,867 posts, read 5,763,561 times
Reputation: 30108

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Some great movies to commemorate this occasion

The Longest Day
Band of Brothers miniseries
WW2 in color miniseries
Saving Private Ryan
Across the Pacific
Casablanca
Saboteur
The Americanization of Emily
The Caine Mutiny
The Fighting Seabees
Sherlock Holmes and the secret weapon
Sherlock Holmes and the voice of terror
Sherlock Holmes in Washington
Von Ryan's Express
Flying Leathernecks (centered on Battle of Midway. Great film anyhow)
The Great Escape
Where Eagles Dare
The Enemy Below
Twelve O'clock High
Tobruk
Patton
Raid on Rommel
Kelly's Heroes

Forgot to add Mr.Roberts.

Thank you....I've seen many but not all. Hopefully this weekend and on June 6 some of them will be shown on tv and on Turner Classic Movies. The Longest Day is excellent and I thought Saving Private Ryan was likely as realistic as movies get, especially the beach landing scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2019, 12:35 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 954,304 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
Some great movies to commemorate this occasion

The Longest Day
Band of Brothers miniseries
WW2 in color miniseries
Saving Private Ryan
Across the Pacific
Casablanca
Saboteur
The Americanization of Emily
The Caine Mutiny
The Fighting Seabees
Sherlock Holmes and the secret weapon
Sherlock Holmes and the voice of terror
Sherlock Holmes in Washington
Von Ryan's Express
Flying Leathernecks (centered on Battle of Midway. Great film anyhow)
The Great Escape
Where Eagles Dare
The Enemy Below
Twelve O'clock High
Tobruk
Patton
Raid on Rommel
Kelly's Heroes

Forgot to add Mr.Roberts.
The "WWII in Colour" miniseries is on Netflix now.

The BBC's "The World at War" series is wonderful. As is Ken Burns' miniseries "The War" (also on Netflix now).

"The Pacific" is a companion miniseries to "Band of Brothers" showing that theatre of war from the viewpoint of Marines.

Dan Curtis' miniseries of Herman Wouk's (RIP, Mr. Wouk, who also wrote "The Caine Mutiny" and died at 103 just this month) historical dramas "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" are personal favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,780 posts, read 3,347,031 times
Reputation: 7629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The C-47 that led the invasion is scheduled to be there ...

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...ck-to-normandy
Itís just amazing that this C 47 survived all those years. The C 47 flew on every battlefront in WWII. Korea and Vietnam. One of my uncles was an AAF crewman in the CBI theatre and flew missions over the Himalayas into China.The attrition rate was very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM
 
358 posts, read 660,693 times
Reputation: 313
The 70th anniversary at the National D-day memorial was truly amazing and moving. The local survivors from the Bedford Boys and their surviving families were given special, grandstand seating. The local police cars had special graphics and they had 2 tour buses of other survivors and families in the parade. When the buses stopped in front of the grandstand and the people stood and saluted their brothers on the buses, there is no way to describe the emotions everyone felt.

Last edited by emsman; 05-24-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,933 posts, read 7,561,000 times
Reputation: 9253
My first trip to Europe with two of my brothers was in 1984 and we ended up in Normandy not really understanding the significance of the 40th anniversary then and honestly even as snot-nosed kid Americans (I was just 20) we were treated like heroes by the locals. Which was distinctly different than the rest of the French populous while we were there in other areas of the country.

Visiting the American cemetery and memorial there was especially moving for me. I can’t imagine any American not welling up in tears seeing the vast lines of graves rolling over the hillsides there and thinking of the horror and the bravery that our men experienced.

It is mind boggling to me that that was 35 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,867 posts, read 5,763,561 times
Reputation: 30108
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The "WWII in Colour" miniseries is on Netflix now.

The BBC's "The World at War" series is wonderful. As is Ken Burns' miniseries "The War" (also on Netflix now).

"The Pacific" is a companion miniseries to "Band of Brothers" showing that theatre of war from the viewpoint of Marines.

Dan Curtis' miniseries of Herman Wouk's (RIP, Mr. Wouk, who also wrote "The Caine Mutiny" and died at 103 just this month) historical dramas "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" are personal favorites.

Have meant to get to Wouk's books for years, on the list now...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM
 
Location: London
4,338 posts, read 3,631,625 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The Longest Day is excellent and I thought Saving Private Ryan was likely as realistic as movies get, especially the beach landing scene.
The colourised version of The Longest Day is very good. It keeps to the historical narrative quite well, the best major D-Day film made. Each nationality had its own director. The fictional Saving Private Ryan is only good in the first 20 minutes giving an insight to what the men put up with running ashore. Do not take it as fact at all, it is fiction, to entertain, to make money. It is full of historical inaccuracies.

French-British commandos of the 1st Special Service Brigade attacked Ouistreham. Director Ken Annakin in The Longest Day captures the French Commandos attack on the port of Ouistreham. Brilliant helicopter shot from 0.19 secs to 1 min 46 mins. One continuous shot. Stunning. The colourised version is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZMkleDjWI

Last edited by John-UK; 05-25-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,867 posts, read 5,763,561 times
Reputation: 30108
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
The colourised version of The Longest Day is very good. It keeps to the historical narrative quite well, the best major D-Day film made. Each nationality had its own director. The fictional Saving Private Ryan is only good in the first 20 minutes giving an insight to what the men put up with running ashore. Do not take it as fact at all, it is fiction, to entertain, to make money. It is full of historical inaccuracies.

French-British commandos of the 1st Special Service Brigade attacked Ouistreham. Director Ken Annakin in The Longest Day captures the French Commandos attack on the port of Ouistreham. Brilliant helicopter shot from 0.19 secs to 1 min 46 mins. One continuous shot. Stunning. The colourised version is even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZMkleDjWI

Thanks John....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 AM
 
Location: London
4,338 posts, read 3,631,625 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The BBC's "The World at War" series is wonderful.
It was not the BBC, it was Thames Television. Superb series showing film at the time, 1973, that had never been shown. The most successful WW" documentary ever and show in more countries than any other. Unfortunately it was released just before the wraps on Bletchley Park were taken off, which gives a different perspective to WW2. If it was made a few years later it would have been written differently in parts. Lawrence Olivier's narration in the series is magnificent. He mastered the "pause", "slow" and "quick" commentary when it was needed to suit the situation being commented on, giving great effect.

Last edited by John-UK; 05-25-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2019, 10:50 AM
 
5,370 posts, read 6,500,043 times
Reputation: 10381
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
My first trip to Europe with two of my brothers was in 1984 and we ended up in Normandy not really understanding the significance of the 40th anniversary then and honestly even as snot-nosed kid Americans (I was just 20) we were treated like heroes by the locals. Which was distinctly different than the rest of the French populous while we were there in other areas of the country.

Visiting the American cemetery and memorial there was especially moving for me. I canít imagine any American not welling up in tears seeing the vast lines of graves rolling over the hillsides there and thinking of the horror and the bravery that our men experienced.

It is mind boggling to me that that was 35 years ago!
same

second visit 2018 and my thought remains "how did they do it?" i wonder at their mental & physical toughness, endurance, and determination. my heart just feels for them.

lived in Germany and over one cold december I wondered how they did it at Battle of the Bulge. "Life aint fair, it just is"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top