U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 08:52 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,285,100 times

Advertisements

I remember the 1994 D-Day celebrations in the Netherlands. They renamed the Dutch ww2 museum grounds in Overloon "Liberty Park" and invited a lot of veterans from all sides over. They also had a great parade of former troops and rebuilt a lot of historic vehicles. It was a true feast for history-minded people. When we go to Europe I show my son everything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 04:24 PM

4,338 posts, read 3,631,625 times
LCT 7074 Landing Craft
One of the few landing craft left. She operated on D-Day. She was in Liverpool from 1948. Awaiting restoration she sunk in Wallasey Dock. She was raised and taken to Portmouth where restoration is ongoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa6oPgCaH8

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46062061

Old Today, 05:15 PM

834 posts, read 304,396 times
I did a privately guided tour from Normandy , thru the significant towns in the battle and eventually up to Paris.

In Normandy we went to a restaurant where the owner took us to his basement where he had a bunch of uniforms, equipment and such from both sides of the conflict.

The Normandy Cemetery was profound to see. Our guide indicated some of the german graves had more than one occupant.

In Falaise, our guide had arranged with a local farmer to use the guide’s metal detector and yep, we found spent bullets, buckles from german belts. Pretty well encased in rust/dirt but light cleaning was dine.

It was a trip I would like to do again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or