Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 09:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Semyon Rozenfeld, Last Known Survivor of Death Camp Escape, Dies at 96

“I’m not capable of killing a human being,” Mr. Rozenfeld recalled saying. “But a Nazi — yes.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/o...ibor-dead.html

https://pressfrom.info/au/news/world...ies-at-96.html

By the way, a great movie: The Grey Zone.

The Grey Zone The Film
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Semyon Rozenfeld, Last Known Survivor of Death Camp Escape, Dies at 96

“I’m not capable of killing a human being,” Mr. Rozenfeld recalled saying. “But a Nazi — yes.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/o...ibor-dead.html

https://pressfrom.info/au/news/world...ies-at-96.html

By the way, a great movie: The Grey Zone.

The Grey Zone The Film
I remember many many years ago (decades ago, probably) watching a movie (maybe a made-for-TV movie) called Escape from Sobibor. I was riveted. I think it was the first time I'd heard of that particular camp.

As for The Grey Zone: in spring '18 I taught a class on the Holocaust and in the "media images" section we watched that film in class. We were all devastated emotionally by it, as you can imagine, but its power was immense. It also raised so many wonderful (if heart-wrenching) questions for discussion -- it was very worthwhile to watch it despite its horror.

Thanks for your post.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:37 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Reps to Karen and Cida. May I recommend a more recent film documentary on a related subject that has had little publicity, Who Will Write Our History, by Rita Grossman and Nancy Spielberg.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
It's so sad to see that generation pass. Kids today will not have the privilege of hearing their first hand accounts. Just so their stories continue to be told.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I remember many many years ago (decades ago, probably) watching a movie (maybe a made-for-TV movie) called Escape from Sobibor. I was riveted. I think it was the first time I'd heard of that particular camp.
I've watched it three times. It would come up in the programming every few years. I can't watch films like that anymore. They give me bad dreams. I've lost some of my resilience. The film was very well done, though, IMO.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

As for The Grey Zone: in spring '18 I taught a class on the Holocaust and in the "media images" section we watched that film in class. We were all devastated emotionally by it, as you can imagine, but its power was immense. It also raised so many wonderful (if heart-wrenching) questions for discussion -- it was very worthwhile to watch it despite its horror.
Exactly, The Grey Zone was devastating and powerful. I'm not sure I could watch it again. I hugely admire Tim Blake Nelson who wrote AND directed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History