U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM
 
89 posts, read 35,974 times
Reputation: 134

Advertisements

Type in switchboard operator and it's always just rows of women. Why was that? Obviously it seems as if that was a job particularly suited for women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,660 posts, read 3,694,065 times
Reputation: 19798
More jobs became available to women during WWII. It's not that the job was particularly suited to women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 05:50 PM
 
20,806 posts, read 13,813,460 times
Reputation: 14485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Type in switchboard operator and it's always just rows of women. Why was that? Obviously it seems as if that was a job particularly suited for women.
First response beat me to the answer.

Young boys were rude, lazy, restless and had other qualities that made them unsuited (so everyone thought) to being telephone operators.

Females were seen as docile, easily trained and also had better dexterity and coordination needed for the often repetitive tasks involved in being a telephone operator.

Clerks, secretaries and other office workers were first largely a male occupation. But with the arrival of typewriter things changed. Females on average excelled in typing (for same qualities mentioned above, dexterity, etc....), and soon virtually all secretaries were females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,131 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18731
When telephone companies discovered that women could do the job as well or better than males, they naturally started hiring them in masse because they didn't have to pay females as much as they did males for the same work. Women competed for these jobs because there wasn't a broad range of jobs available to them. They had to take what was out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 06:40 PM
 
10,294 posts, read 4,111,446 times
Reputation: 25993
Yes.

I'd always heard that women were telephone operators because by and large they were more pleasant to the customers, and more soothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 PM
 
3,423 posts, read 877,721 times
Reputation: 3930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
When telephone companies discovered that women could do the job as well or better than males, they naturally started hiring them in masse because they didn't have to pay females as much as they did males for the same work. Women competed for these jobs because there wasn't a broad range of jobs available to them. They had to take what was out there.
Thank goodness for the unions that made even operators' jobs pay a living wage.

I had a coworkers whose mother worked directory assistance at AT&T for 27 years. Their average handle time was 12 seconds from answer to releasing the call. That's over a million calls in a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 484,408 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First response beat me to the answer.

Young boys were rude, lazy, restless and had other qualities that made them unsuited (so everyone thought) to being telephone operators.

Females were seen as docile, easily trained and also had better dexterity and coordination needed for the often repetitive tasks involved in being a telephone operator.

Clerks, secretaries and other office workers were first largely a male occupation. But with the arrival of typewriter things changed. Females on average excelled in typing (for same qualities mentioned above, dexterity, etc....), and soon virtually all secretaries were females.
I worked for a medical supply company for a few months once upon a time, and most of the people that were involved with the assembling of the petri dishes lids, and tops as they were being formed by the injection molding machines were women. That job would drive you nuts. Sorry off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 08:06 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 484,408 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Thank goodness for the unions that made even operators' jobs pay a living wage.

I had a coworkers whose mother worked directory assistance at AT&T for 27 years. Their average handle time was 12 seconds from answer to releasing the call. That's over a million calls in a lifetime.


I worked out of construction Union once upon a time. Meh. Okay at best. Big difference when working for a company with "In House Union" representation.......that is the type of Union your coworker's mother was with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 PM
 
905 posts, read 796,959 times
Reputation: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
More jobs became available to women during WWII. It's not that the job was particularly suited to women.
No, the phenomenon goes back long before WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2019, 10:22 PM
 
60 posts, read 14,433 times
Reputation: 58
Default Women Telephone operators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
Type in switchboard operator and it's always just rows of women. Why was that? Obviously it seems as if that was a job particularly suited for women.

Men believed this was a job for women and forced them into the telephone Operator Service at low wages.
And the work dress was female to ware to work. Any men ever want to ware frocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top